+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Heater Woes

Post Likes

Water Heater Woes

Walked through a house to access the backyard and came across this water heater. 2 draft hoods??? and that is electrical tape sealing the top of the flue pipe. I told the property owner we should address this and he said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Post Likes
    wow

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SinCityKid View Post
    Walked through a house to access the backyard and came across this water heater. 2 draft hoods??? and that is electrical tape sealing the top of the flue pipe. I told the property owner we should address this and he said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    wow!

What I like about the local codes up here is if I see something like that, I'm obligated to say something, issue warning tags(immediate or non-immediate hazards), and inform the utility to cover myself. It will get fixed whether HO likes it or not.

Post Likes
    You guys are missing the good part,look at that nice inverted trap!

Post Likes

Talking call National Geographic--caught on film!

Draft hoods caught mating in the wild. Now we know where they come from....

Post Likes
    It's people like that property manager who get themselves killed via CO poisoning or something preventable like that.

Post Likes
    But it IS broke!
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Post Likes
    I would have red-tagged that mofo in a heart beat.u knew it wasnt right and you left it running.

Post Likes
    oh and yes those drafthoods are making babies

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    I would have red-tagged that mofo in a heart beat.u knew it wasnt right and you left it running.
    Hahaha you funny. I was invited "through" the house to see about a possible job out back. I don't know how it is where you live but if I stop in the house and start putting my wrench on his equipment without consent I'm likely to get a boot to the ribs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    But it IS broke!
    I AGREE!!!!! From the looks of the ceiling penetration, they have a leaky roof penetration.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Post Likes

Cool Failure To Warn

If you want to have a serious discussion about this goat rodeo well ok:

-draft hoods
    -two stacked draft hoods
    -vent connector Band-Aid at attachement to draft hood
    -elbow right off draft hood instead of vent rise first
    -possibly corroded out vent connector
    -lack of listed firestop at ceiling
    -does not appear to be B-vent but single walled through ceiling, which is not allowed and a fire hazard
    -signs of moisture penetration-inspect venting
    -combustible tape on vent connector is a fire hazard, can release toxic fumes and masks the joint from visual inspection
    -three screws min. per joint?
    -offset not supported
    -what other deficiencies were visible we cannot see in this pic

Send him a Certified Letter Return Receipt detailing these deficiencies and hazards and explain the possibility of fire, toxic fumes or carbon monoxide as consequences if left uncorrected. That way if anyone or anything gets hurt/damaged he cannot sue you for Failure To Warn.

Post Likes
    Bob, you are too smart man!

awareness. make the home owners aware of the dangers in the home. i would have turned it off and disabled it. if the homeowner did not want me to repair i can only hope the next person that inspects it changes there mind.

Post Likes
    There's more than moisture leaking around that flue pipe. It looks like I can see daylight up inside the hole? Maybe some new form of make-up air? Or possibly dilution air for the combustion products that are surely entering the house?
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    well, he can't SEE CO, so it won't harm him, right????
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Post Likes
    There's no telling from the pictures, I hope that the other vertical copper pipe painted to match the walls, with the flexible copper water pipe threaded to it, is not the natural gas supply...
    It seems to be in an awefully peculiar location and looks to be headed towards a gas valve....

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    There's no telling from the pictures, I hope that the other vertical copper pipe painted to match the walls, with the flexible copper water pipe threaded to it, is not the natural gas supply...
    It seems to be in an awefully peculiar location and looks to be headed towards a gas valve....

~smoke~
    Holy crap! Didn't even notice that! Good eye smoke.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    I thought duct tape fixed everything? Electrical tapes seems to work too!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SinCityKid View Post
    Hahaha you funny. I was invited "through" the house to see about a possible job out back. I don't know how it is where you live but if I stop in the house and start putting my wrench on his equipment without consent I'm likely to get a boot to the ribs.
    There is no job in the back that would have been worth me turning a blind eye to that death machine. I always use the litmus test "How would I explain it to the Judge!"
    They will soon forget how long it takes, but they will always remember the quality.

Post Likes

Cool

We don't have enough info. or another pic of that copper line on the right so we could only guess, which would be worthless. It does have a compression fitting which is not approved for gas nor is copper flex but then again, very few gas lines use or approve of soldered copper. Also, the gas usually comes in on the left.

I think its another goofy water line. Note the shower-type stop valve in the wall behind the WH. What in the world does that control? More pics would be very interesting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in