I'm currently having a high velocity system installed in my house. The work has already started and I have one argument with the installer. My current heat is hw radiator so this system is only cooling (no zones or anything), the installer wants to instal a second thermostat to deal with the AC system. I dont want two thermostats on the wall.

I know someone has to make a thermostat that can handle two isolated systems (remote sensors would be nice also).. dont they? I could buy the thing and make him install it if I knew specifically what I was looking for.

Is this an unusual request? To want my wall to look less cluttered.

One

thermostat can handle both chores. But, maybe your installer wants to put the t-stat for cooling in a more suitable location, possibly in an area where it can sense return air better.
    KX500......the original big green meanie

almost all digital thermostats available today can do exactly what you want, and the old style mercury stats can do it too if the proper sub-base is used. The thermostat will come with a jumper accross the Rc and Rh terminals. removing the jumper seperates the heating and cooling systems. of course much care needs to be taken in wiring it properly or he could fry both systems. I see many systems as you describe, with two stats right next to each other, so many installers must not be aware of this

Originally posted by dna
    ONE thermostat can handle both chores. But, maybe your installer wants to put the t-stat for cooling in a more suitable location, possibly in an area where it can sense return air better.
    If this was the case, he could use a remote temperature sensor.