I am refinishing a portion of my basement as a home theater. I will be heating it with baseboard electric heat and hopefully cooling it with a Mitsubishi mini-split. In about a month the sheetrock will go up.

Can the electric, linesets, drain, and condensate pump be installed now and the inside and outside units be installed later? What I mean by later is when I have the money to purchase these items which could be a year or more.

I will not be doing any of this work myself, I just want to know whether this is even in the realm of possibility before I start calling local HVAC contractors.

If not, I may just have to bite the bullet and figure out a way to come up with the money to do the entire install.

Thanks
    Dave

You really need to speak with your HVAC service company about this... As far as "remodel" work goes, the lineset, power lines, and condensate drains usually go in before the rock anyway, and the air handlers go in as a "trim-out" when everything else is done...

I realize that the rough in work goes in before the drywall goes up and the units go in after. I would guess that for most installs the time between rough in of linesets etc. and when the indoor and outdoor units go in is fairly close, probably within a few weeks of each other.

My question is can this time frame be stretched way out to many weeks or even a full year

That really depends on the installer, thats why I said ask your HVAC Service Company, they may say yes, or they may say bite the bullet, the answers will vary...

yes it can, but the problem you will face is, the hvac contractor that comes out is going to charge you more for just installing the lines now, and then coming back in a year when you purchase the unit, to install it.

what i'm saying is, you are basically paying for two separate jobs, which will cost more, as opposed to getting a bid for a complete installation.

you also need to make sure that where you put in your rough-in for lineset, power, condensate, are where they need to be for the model that you purchase in a year or two. models change all the time, and i have not personally done too many of those units. good luck

You can do it if you have the hvac contractor pull a vacuum on the sealed lineset and charge it with nitrogen to keep moisture out.
    Hope this helps.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.