+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Signal generator?

Post Likes

Signal generator?

Does anyone use a signal generator? I'm not a control guy and I don't have a laptop. I want to be able to easily test actuators and such without having to call a control guy or mess with setpoints. I fould one on Kele but I was hoping to not spend this much.

http://www.kele.com/tools-and-test-equipment/cvc.aspx

Post Likes

Post Likes
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    I have one made(or labelled by) jci ill post the model tomorrow its at the shop

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    guess I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some dough. I wonder why that dwyer is SO much cheaper....

Post Likes
    I use the Dwyer ASG had it a year know works good only $150.00.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeabides View Post
    guess I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some dough. I wonder why that dwyer is SO much cheaper....
    If you set up an account with kele their version will be cheaper.

Sorta like the old catalogs from johnstone and cc dickson...... those prices in there are higher than what you are going to pay.....sometimes 40-50 percent higher. Guess it keeps a potential customer from getting hold of a catalog and seeing what you paid for a part or something.

You can use a 9 volt battery for checking 0-10 volts and you can add a potnetiometer for a voltage divider circuit to modulate the output.... there is a thread in the controls section....

here....

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=466602

go to radio shack and get the stuff you need..... some really simple and easy to build ones on down thru the thread. The one that says panic mode is a good one but requires more stuff.... I wouldnt try and build one using radio shack as a source for the parts.

But the simple designs will work for what you want and probably contain parts that are easily found at radio shack. You might have to buy an assortment of resistors that you will never use again....but its going to be a whole lot cheaper than buying something ready made.

Ive built the panic mode model before and a few simpler designs but I wont use them on the job for fear of a customer seeing me use some cobbled up device on their expensive equipment.

While these devices do pretty much the same thing as a 300-600 or more calibrator..... most customers dont know that.....and they wont bat an eye at you using an expensive store bought device to test their equipment....but when they see you using something you built at home...and 2 weeks later they are looking at some problems with the equipment.... they might come back on you and your device as an easy target for blame.

Post Likes
    Check with Mitchell Instruments, they have a line of process loop calibrators.

I picked up one of their low end units, $400, and it works great to provide either a 0-10V or 4-20 ma signal.

You can use it in place of an analog signal from a ddc system to troubleshoot and verify proper operation of a device, vfds, modulating valves and burners, damper actuators, electro-pneumatic transducers, etc.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Post Likes
    I have the one in the first link, don't think I payed more than 100.00 - 150.00 max at a local controls distributer. Had it for about three years.

Post Likes
    Programmable signal generator (PSG) https://www.alpscontrols.com/Prod_Data/ACT/psg.pdf
    Enjoy your day!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in