Thread: fix or replace?

I have a GOETTL HP361F/H Heat Pump installed in my home in August 1984 before I moved in (36000 BTU Cooling capacity, EER=9.50/10.40, SEER =11.00/12.00). The Compressor was replaced in July 1997. I have a 2000 sq ft one story home in the phoenix, az area and I like my house cold (around 70 degrees at night/78 during the day). I have ceiling fans in all rooms, which I also have on at all times.

The unit used to keep my home very cold, but over the past few years, my home is not staying cool (even if I run the AC 24 hours a day instead of having my electronic wall thermostat turn it on/off). My unit is starting to get noisy (can hear it outside my house as well) ... didn't used to be. If I run it continuously, it just stops blowing air altogether although I can still hear it running. Sometimes it blows air which isn't cold (but not warm), but if I turn it off for a while, it seems to blow cold air again.

I've tried to have various A/C companies out to fix it, but they don't identify any problem (but I'm not sure if I'm really getting quality people out to work on it ... e.g., last person spent the whole time at my house off/on his cell phone).

So, I'm wondering ... is this unit worth trying to fix given that the unit is 12 years old and that I can't seem to find anyone to fix the unit so it works as well as it used to. This is my first house ... so I am wondering how long should a heat pump such as this last? The original warranty was only 5 years parts with 2 years labor so maybe this unit is at the end of its life.

Installed in 1984 but 12 years old?????

You like it as cold as I do so I would suggest replacing so it is unlikely to break down in 120° weather!

Sounds to me that you are NOT getting quality service techs, or you are not telling them the entire story.

Do a search on this site for PaysonHvac, as he lives in Phoenix, and I'm sure he can hook you up with a reilable company.

Hmm

Ran into one like that the other day only it was in the attic and it was tripping the breaker by the time I got there.
    tapped the service valve all that came out was water no freon. So now all we need is a compressor,a
    heat exchanger,evaporator and a four way valve. not.

Replace the unit, the unit is 12 years old, it has lost its efficency. Instead of spending your money on the old unit call several HVAC to get an estimate for a replacement. Make sure you replace inside and outside unit to have a properly matched unit. I just replaced my 10 year old unit, and i am very glad i did.

<<I've tried to have various A/C companies out to fix it, but they don't identify any problem (but I'm not sure if I'm really getting quality people out to work on it ... e.g., last person spent the whole time at my house off/on his cell phone).>>

Did the techs have gauges

From what you posted, it sounds like it's leaking freon. What is happening is the A/C turns on, then it runs till the coil ices over, then the airflow drops due to the ice.You really need to find a competent service company. I wouldn't fix any major repairs on a system this old, but if all you need is a charge adjustment, I'd consider it.
    Good luck.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

The first thing to do is have a manual J heat load calculation performed.
    At 2000 sq. ft. and you you are trying to maintain 70 degrees indoor with 3 tons in Phoenix, AZ. you may be undersized.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

... meant that the unit was installed in 1994 (so yes, unit is 12 years old)

Thanks for all the replys so far