Shame on me , I forgot. When opening the service valves on a charged condensor, such as a on a new install or changeout, or after pumping down a system and completing a repair, then opening the valves. Which first? I remember the part about opening the valve slowly so not to draw the compressor oil with it.

Think about the way the refrigerant normally flows.

Originally posted by firecontrol
    Think about the way the refrigerant normally flows.
    Winter or summer?

wow... small line first, followed by large line... doesn't matter, straight a/c or heat pump...

Shame on you, you sound like a DIY looking for free advice against the site rules. A tech would not be likely to forget that, and if they did, they wouldn't be a tech I'd allow to touch any equipment of mine.

The important thing is to remember to open them... It only happened once to me, I was in a huge hurry. Pressure checked it, sucked it down, added the extra 22 to the system (per nifty chart in paper work) and left. Thankfully I was going back the next day to finish some duct issues and remembered.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Who gives a rat's a$$, open both the valves,let the system equalise then fire it up.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Stratopig, take it easy. I'm a Nate certified service tech. who hopes to be as good as you when I grow up. It just slipped my mind, and I posted the question. No big deal. Sorry if somehow eveyone is not as good as you. I recognized there is a sequence and why there is a sequence. I could have went to a book, but just asked a friendly question. Thanks for taking the time out to post. HVAC tech and detective too.

[Edited by jack david on 05-01-2006 at 11:18 AM]

Originally posted by jack david
    Stratopig, take it easy. I'm a Nate certified service tech. who hopes to be as good as you when I grow up. It just slipped my mind, and posted the question. No big deal. Sorry if somehow eveyone is not as good as you.
    Register as a pro.
    That will let you post technical questions in the pro forum.