Just looking for a quick answer. Found that 2 returns in the bedrooms upstairs empty into space(not wall cavities. The air goes under the 2nd. floor space and there is a small opening that leads into a wall cavity that leads to the downstairs return. this means that any air under the floor(dust, dirt, etc) gets a chance to be sucked in.
    To make a long story short. I found that I can run a flex duct through the upper part of a closet from each bedroom. It runs into a metal plate that I made and 2 6" take offs. It will enter the wall cavity perpoendicularly. I sealed the space above where it enters. I know it is not the ideal conditions, but it is 1000% better than having air very lightly sucked into the 2 grills and just mingling with all the air under the 2nd. floor.
    My question is simple-should I atttach a piece of metal paning where the 2 return ducts will enter the cavity to deflect the air downwards? I could screw it into the wall, so when air hits it, it will slide down? Or will the air just naturally hit the wall perpendicularly and be sucked down into the return plenum.
    This was hard to explain but is really quite simple-not a job for a pro to waste his valuable time.
    Thanks
    George
    again, I knowe it is not ideal, but at least there will be 2 sealed runs from the bedrooms rather than nothing as before. BTW, I sealed the cavity very, very well.

Have you checked SP? Reducing RA is not normally good for your system. Two 6" RA (especially flex) ducts may be putting a lot of strain on the blower. It may not have felt like much air movement but you don’t want to make the blower work too hard.

Our code allows us to pull return air through the joices that are between the first & 2nd floor. We just have to caulk any holes that the electricians drill & there can be no plumbing in those joices.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

But the joists are not paned-it is the whole under floor area, not just the panned area between 2 joists. There is witring, plumbing, ducting for exhaust fans running through the area. I hope that I am making myself clear. I know what a panned joist looks like, but this is 2 ducts that are open behind that just combine with the air of the Whole floor beneath the 2nd, floor.
    Thanjks
    George

more details needed--
    how many cfm required for ea room?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

my concern is the dirt and dust that is picked up under the floor, EAC notwithstanding. Has anybody seen this before-a hole in the wall(virtually no suction, and what there is prob.sucks in from the attic, under the floor and everything there poss. is there. Each room has 2 4x10x6 air supply
    George