EXTERNAL CONDENSATION PUMP QUESTION

I'm a realtor and just had a home inspected that has an external condensation pump attached to a 2 year old Rheem unit to help with the drainage from the drain line. I assume there was some issue with the line and the owner wanted some assist with the water. It does seem to work fine. The question I have is this. Must the pump be wired internaly as the a/c air handler is, or can it be wired to a nearby GFI wall outlet. Currently it goes to a wall outlet. The home is in Florida. Does this sound like a proper install? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

to my knowledge, the pump must be wired as supplied by the manufacturer of the pump.

in other words if the pump came with a plug, then it needs to be plugged into an outlet. cutting off the plug and "hard" wiring it has defeated the UL certification.

most of the installs are done the way you are describing it. the only option may be to wire in an overflow safety switch if the pump has it.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

The condensate pump is a mini-sump pump with its own reservoir. As such, it should be wired the same. That is, if there's an appropriate plug within reach of the pump, it can be used for the purpose. GFCI is not required except in those areas where it would otherwise be mandated. As PACNW pointed out, if the pump is critical to condensate removal and if an overflowing pump would do damage or otherwise create a hazard, then a pump with a safety switch should be employed and that safety switch should stop the AC unit if the pump fails to discharge the condensate for any reason.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!