a customer asked me to recommend a couple brands of attic temperature sensors, preferably a model which would display max temp and current temp (max temp would auto-reset every 24 hr)

any suggestions?

Originally posted by susa
    a customer asked me to recommend a couple brands of attic temperature sensors, preferably a model which would display max temp and current temp (max temp would auto-reset every 24 hr)

any suggestions?

Regular wireless weather stations should do just fine for that application. Here's some items that'll work just fine, dependant on exactly what you want to monitor:

http://www.techinstrument.com/acatal...nstuments.html

which one of the units in the link is able to withstand months of temps in 95-115F range in attic (and without cooking it's batteries) ?

the goal here was to be able to install a sensor or two and leave these without having to revisit it every month to remove melted batteries

Originally posted by susa
    which one of the units in the link is able to withstand months of temps in 95-115F range in attic (and without cooking it's batteries) ?

the goal here was to be able to install a sensor or two and leave these without having to revisit it every month to remove melted batteries
    The second one, model 1461 should do just fine. It can withstand up to 140 deg. and will give you humidity readings as well. I recommend you get at least 2 sensors with it so you can monitor both ends of your attic..good luck.

The only thing you need to worry about at those temperatures is battery life. 115F is within the operating range for alkalines, but will shorten battery life.. I would use lithium cells, which have a wider operating range. Nothing fancy, just pick up some lithium AA or AAA cells and use them instead of regular alkalines.

Originally posted by perel
    The only thing you need to worry about at those temperatures is battery life. 115F is within the operating range for alkalines, but will shorten battery life.. I would use lithium cells, which have a wider operating range. Nothing fancy, just pick up some lithium AA or AAA cells and use them instead of regular alkalines.
    good point

thanks for the suggestions

the 1461 is stated to include "..Includes: 1 base unit, 1 model 1457 remote unit with removable sensor on a cord.."

if the remote sensor indeed has some type of cord, then wouldn't the TRH158-1 model (URL Link: http://www.techinstrument.com/acatal...mometers.html)
    work fine too? the 3 meter long probe could be drilled from a discreet location into attic and the unit attached inside the house (with lower temps for batteries) while the probe/sensor end is attached to a truss

if one has good attic ventilation, the battery life will be normal --
    I have smoke detectors in 2 attics, the 9v "copper top" batteries last 1+ y -- I do not change them till they beep repeatedly --

I have powered vent fan in one attic, just the opening in the other, with lots of soffit vents, a gable vent in the second.

I just put my $24 digital cooking thermo on a board near the skuttle hole -- listen for the fan to start, read. listen for the fan to stop, read. read about 1/h inbetween.

one can also just read each hour, say 3 sunny days during each of the last weeks of July --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

thanks to all replies I bought the 1461 with 2 remote sensors for my customer, best price was at http://www.ambientweather.com/ta14wiwefo.html

they also carry the lithium batteries so it was convenient