Ok - here's the deal - beach house built in 1989 - dual zoned heatpumps both trane XL 1200. One unit was replaced 3 years ago(just outside unit not airhandler) and now the other has stopped the ability to rev from ac to heat -- fan blows but no heat. Contractor said he could fix the "Rev-valve" but would be about 1K - then told me I should replace the unit - but that Trane doesn't make the 12 Seer and I'd have to upgrade to a 2TWR3024. Just not sure i'm getting a true story here. The house probably won't be around after 5-8 years so i hate to dump a whole lot into this unit... any suggestions? At least a/c works for the summer.....

10,11 and 12 seer units are no longer produced and 13 seer condensers will have compressor failures without modifications to the inside system.
    we have to deal with the new laws and so do you.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by crlobx
    Ok - here's the deal - beach house built in 1989 - dual zoned heatpumps both trane XL 1200. One unit was replaced 3 years ago(just outside unit not airhandler) and now the other has stopped the ability to rev from ac to heat -- fan blows but no heat. Contractor said he could fix the "Rev-valve" but would be about 1K - then told me I should replace the unit - but that Trane doesn't make the 12 Seer and I'd have to upgrade to a 2TWR3024. Just not sure i'm getting a true story here. The house probably won't be around after 5-8 years so i hate to dump a whole lot into this unit... any suggestions? At least a/c works for the summer.....
    Change the reversing valve and ask about warranty on the service.And one evaporator that was designed for 12.0 seer will NOT damage a 13.0 seer system.If the coil can handle the amount of capacity pumped by the outdoor unit don't change it.You may not get a 13.0 seer rating with standard coil but it won't damage compressor..What a line of bull..

24,000 btu evaporator
    24,000 btu condenser
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Wink

just use your emergency heat there should be a sw on the tstat

Also there are still plenty of 10 seer units around and there is not a problem using r-410 with a old evaporator just a warrenty problem.
    Retro to ester is not rocket science

10 and 12 SEER unit may not be around in your area any more.

Your old coil maynot be able to handle the volume of refrigerant of a 13 SEER, exspecially in heat, so he's not giving you a line of BS.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would go with same amp draw different prefomance.
    But volums of gas increse for a the same tonage system with a higher SEER and a lower horsepower compressor's how does that work

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by bzzline
    Also there are still plenty of 10 seer units around and there is not a problem using r-410 with a old evaporator just a warrenty problem.
    Retro to ester is not rocket science

Realllllllly, you could not get a 10 seer in my area if your life depended on it.

R410A with an old evaporator...talk about inviting trouble.

My problem has been finding 12 Seer here.