Hi Folks, My heating contractor has me totally confused about multiple HVAC systems for large homes. I am a recently retired GC and most of my projects were smaller SPEC homes with a single system.

PROJECT: 2300 SF "ranch style" single story on FULL finished basement. Located in Utah - yes, it really snows and is cold in the winter. Altitude is 5500 feet and desert climate.

PROPOSALS: Number ONE, High efficiency GAS FORCED AIR system with electronic air cleaner and humidifier - additional ductwork to service the basment. Number TWO, High efficiency GAS FORCED AIR system with electronic air cleaner and humidifier - ZONE control for the basement. Number THREE, High efficiency GAS FORCED AIR system with electronic air cleaner and humidifier - High efficiency GAS FORCED AIR system (with or without air cleaner and humidifier) for the basement (TWO INDEPENDENT SYSTEMS for a LOT of money).

What are your recommendations and experiences? THANK YOU, Richard

what size equipment is he proposing?

CLARIFICATION - 2300 SF main floor PLUS 2300 SF basement for a total of 4600 SF of conditioned air space.

I have proposals for 100K BTU for main and 100K BTU for basement. Another proposal for 120K BTU main and 100K BTU for basement. Both propose 5 ton AC for main.

is there a cooling system for the basement? 5 tons seems high if its just for main floor. in my experience here in north idaho, a 4 ton would be common for the main floor.

i had a similar post on this type of issue recently, if you scroll down you can find it. i can't figure out why these pro's aren't giving their opinions on these two issues?

it is not at all uncommon to have two systems for a house of that size. i just installed a 3 heat pump system in a 7000 square foot home in Black Rock, and the contractor that had done the previous house had done the same system. that was a two story, with a large master suite. one sytem did the main floor, one system did the lower floor, one system did the master suite.

Richard:
    First a load calculation needs to be performed to select the size of equipment, search this site for load calc.
    Second if the house has a full basement a zone control system could be ideal the installing contractor will be the key to any system performing properly so shop wisely

How important will the cooling function be? If fairly significant I might recommend ceiling supplys utilizing commercial "b" boxes with the appropriate ADJUSTABLE supply grilles as this type of air system provides excellent cooling air distribution and fair heat performance, but being over a conditioned basement there would not be any floor losses so it works very well.