Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Westinghouse/ Email PE centrifugal compressors

Fellow workers,

Anyone currently overhauling this brand and age of chiller, from what I know McQuay/ Daikin have basically re-badged them.

I have rebuild service instruction on PE compressors from way back, just curious to know if tolerances etc have changed, would parts be readily available????

Any input helpful.

some of the tolerances has changed, some due to updates on parts, your original wheel will not fit the new high speed shaft and vice versa. Most high speed parts is not available so you would need to replace the entire high speed assy. New high speed assy would mean a new wheel. Low speed shaft seal has changed. Oil pump is different. Some McQuay offices will have some of the parts on the shelf that is no longer made.

Thanks for response.

Thought parts would be a problem, especially vintage chiller I'm looking at.

Whats your opinion on Turbocor compressor chillers???

l

As of right now only McQuay is using those compressors, as of the major manufacturers. Two lesser known manufacturers, Artic Cool and Smardt, are using them on their entire lines. I believe Artic Cool has an up-and-under series, that fits completely in thru a standard doorway. No knockdown required.

the mcquay wmc chiller that uses the turbocor compressors the customers loves them. I have had good luck with them. I have less problems with these than any other type.

Quote Originally Posted by freonrick View Post
    the mcquay wmc chiller that uses the turbocor compressors the customers loves them. I have had good luck with them. I have less problems with these than any other type.
    You haven't had any warranty issues with those chillers? What does the annual service consist of since the compressor's oil-less?

I second that great machines

as far as warranty issues that I have had has been software problems or a system problem. for best operation let the turbocor control the tower water when posible. overall you may have a sensor go bad or a board go out. pm on the chiller same as any minus oil related work. there has been problems with check valves on the chiller not the compressor.

oem mcquay turbocor seems great!

retrofit not so good!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

McQuay offers a retrofit in a Turbocor? Smardt makes a chiller up to 800TR, two circuit w/tandem compressors. Artic Cool makes a chiller up to 1200TR, I believe it's two circuit w/trio compressors.

we are a turbocor dealer.
    we do retrofits on old 5h, 6l, trane E, screws and wheels!
    r-12,r-22 and 134a.

the r22 retrofits did not go that well
    the 134a been better.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    McQuay offers a retrofit in a Turbocor? Smardt makes a chiller up to 800TR, two circuit w/tandem compressors. Artic Cool makes a chiller up to 1200TR, I believe it's two circuit w/trio compressors.

What is the largest HP compressor available? What refrigerants can be used? Can you retrofit a R11 or R 123 chiller?

125 tons
    134-a mainly.

I think?? you can retrofit an r11 chiller ofcourse all you use is the evaporator and condenser!
    everything else goes!
    i guess if you did an r11 chiller you would also change the refrigerant to 134a?

water cooled stuff is best but i have heard of guys doing air cooled stuff, just not me!

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    What is the largest HP compressor available? What refrigerants can be used? Can you retrofit a R11 or R 123 chiller?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast