The Skuttle F60-1 looks identical to the Honeywell 420 and the Skuttle F60-2 looks identical to the Honeywell 460

So why does the Skuttle steam humidifier have a good reputation and the Honeywell 440 have a bad reputation

Have the problems in the Honeywell 440 been fixed in the 420 and 460 ?

We don't install Skuttle so I don't know if they are the same.

Honeywell HE440 replaced the 460. Honeywell discontinued producing the 440 in Feb 06. The new unit "should be available this fall.” I’m not sure what the changes will be.

I highly recommend the Autoflow brand steam humidifiers by EWC.

http://www.ewccontrols.com/steam_humidifier.htm
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

What specifically were the design flaws with the Honeywell 440

Our local Honeywell rep only stated “maintenance issues.” We have had relay problems and several broken plastic fitting on the filter system.

I had a service call couple of weeks ago because the house was too humid. It felt like florida in there. The honeywell steam humidifier would not shut off, even when the furnace was not running. I havent been back yet because we are waiting for another part they need for an HRV but I have no clue why it wont shut off. I unplugged it for now. It must be some type of relay like you mentioned.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...hreadid=102269

trapeze

The first steamers I installed were the Autoflo's. I gave up on them after frequent call backs for various failure issues.

The Skuttle is very, very simple...no doubt about it. No electronics whatsoever. Simple electromechanical controls

---

Has the Autoflo solved these quality issues ?

Originally posted by 1stanner
    I had a service call couple of weeks ago because the house was too humid. It felt like florida in there. The honeywell steam humidifier would not shut off, even when the furnace was not running. I havent been back yet because we are waiting for another part they need for an HRV but I have no clue why it wont shut off. I unplugged it for now. It must be some type of relay like you mentioned.
    The steamer will run with out a call for heat. If it's not shutting off I would bet a relay is stuck. We have not had the element stay on but we have had the fan stay on and the solenoid not close.

I am talking relative costs here
    Skuttle, Honeywell and White-Rodgers all are roughly the same price
    Auto Flo costs twice as much as Skuttle and Generalaire and Nortec cost 4 times as much as the Skuttle