Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    Registering a gun is no problem for the left, but a simple photo ID is way too much to ask of citizens just to prove they are legal. .....go F, I mean go figure......
    Yeah what he said!!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    There has to be some reason why our homicide rate is 1.9/100,000 and in the US it is 4.8/100,000 (down from a high of 9.8 in 1979 -1981). I was the highest of the western industrialized countries. I think guns had a bit part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    You are right, guns are a part of it. Once the honest citizen is fully armed the criminals don't have easy prey!
    Lessee... the logic I hear from liberals goes kinda like this (please correct me if I am wrong): Guns kill folks... so we need to collect the guns.

Now if we follow that logic; then pencils misspell words... so we need to collect all the pencils.

Another logical argument is knives cut folks fingers... so lets collect all the knives.

Oh, and lets not forget all the crimes committed with baseball bats... we should register all the baseball bats and require a permit to have a baseball bat.

Just imagine all the JOBS (worthless govt beaurocracy) we could create by registering and regulating pencils, knives, and baseball bats. Only problem is: Where does the $$$ come from to pay the taxes necessary to fund that waste? Sooner or later there will not be any worker-bees left to tax... what-cha libs gonna do when there are no more folks to shake-down to fund your pet lies?

As one can see: The ONLY absurd thing above is to think guns are any different. When will folks get back that old friend called common sense? Or is he gone to a country where folks appreciate him??? Maybe I should leave and live in that country also...

You liberals will not be satisfied until you tax away every penny I will ever earn; and leave me totally defenseless against criminals who you think are just mis-guided kids.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

There has to be some reason why our homicide rate is 1.9/100,000 and in the US it is 4.8/100,000 (down from a high of 9.8 in 1979 -1981). I was the highest of the western industrialized countries. I think guns had a bit part of it.
    ooops wrong again?

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html#world

the U.S. is not even in the top ten
    Two thirds of all 1992 US murders were accomplished with firearms. Handguns were used in about half of all murders. Sharp instruments were used in 17% of murders and blunt instruments in about 6%.

Gun control laws are stiffer in Canada, and many claim this accounts for the murder rate being lower in Canada than in the United States. 65% of US homicides were committed with firearms, versus 32% in Canada. However, a large American study indicated that liberalized laws for carrying concealed weapons reduced murder rates in the US by 8.5%. US homicide rates in the year 1900 were an estimated 1 per 100,000 — at a time when anyone of any age could buy a gun. Statistics-gathering may have been less thorough at that time — and few people had the money or interest to buy guns. But American gun supply (including handguns) doubled from the 1973-1992 period, during which homicide rates remained unchanged (WALL STREET JOURNAL, 4-Aug-2000, p.A10).

Politicians in Massachusetts have cited the State's tough gun control laws as the reason for its low murder rates. However, the adjacent states of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont have some of the least stringent gun control laws in the US, yet the first two have lower murder rates than Massachusetts and the murder rates in Vermont are comparable to those in Massachusetts. Murder rates in Boston increased 50% in 2004 over the previous year, while murder rates in Los Angeles, Miami, Washington and many other major cites saw murder rates decline.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    ooops wrong again?

Keep the heat on him bro... the only thing liberals understand is being laughed off the stage and out the door of the assembly hall.

OTOH... be sure your car is parked in a safe place... you may find 4 flats...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

ooops wrong again?

You will note I said "western Industrialized nations". If you want to make comparisons they have to be at least remotely equal countries.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Lessee... the logic I hear from liberals goes kinda like this (please correct me if I am wrong): Guns kill folks... so we need to collect the guns.

Now if we follow that logic; then pencils misspell words... so we need to collect all the pencils.

Another logical argument is knives cut folks fingers... so lets collect all the knives.

Oh, and lets not forget all the crimes committed with baseball bats... we should register all the baseball bats and require a permit to have a baseball bat.

Just imagine all the JOBS (worthless govt beaurocracy) we could create by registering and regulating pencils, knives, and baseball bats. Only problem is: Where does the $$$ come from to pay the taxes necessary to fund that waste? Sooner or later there will not be any worker-bees left to tax... what-cha libs gonna do when there are no more folks to shake-down to fund your pet lies?

As one can see: The ONLY absurd thing above is to think guns are any different. When will folks get back that old friend called common sense? Or is he gone to a country where folks appreciate him??? Maybe I should leave and live in that country also...

You liberals will not be satisfied until you tax away every penny I will ever earn; and leave me totally defenseless against criminals who you think are just mis-guided kids.
    Then come up with another reason...I'm listening.....

Then come up with another reason...I'm listening.....
    Honestly... I have no idea what you are asking... Please be more specific (less liberal... )... THX.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

You will note I said "western Industrialized nations". If you want to make comparisons they have to be at least remotely equal countries.
    ok, you would be correct, the U.S. does have the highest MURDER rate of any industrialized country. However with the number of guns per thousand it stands to reason.

I don't suppose you want to guess who is second and third?
    The United States when compared to other developed nations with more stringent gun laws. The following numbers are based on firearm homicide per 100,000 people.

United States-39% of households possess firearms and there is a 3.72 firearm homicide rate.

Italy-16% of households contain guns and there is a 1.66 firearm homicide rate.

Canada-30% of households contain guns and there is a .76 firearm homicide rate.

Australia-20% of households contain guns and there is a .44 firearm homicide rate.

England/Wales-5% of households contain guns and there is a .11 firearm homicide rate.

Switzerland-28% of households contain guns and there is a ..58 firearm homicide rate.
    LOVE has four letters

Sure, I know we have lots of guns too. Not as many as the US and of a different type but that wasn't the question.

The American murder rate is at least twice ours and if you don't think guns are an issue, I would like to know what you think the issue actually is? i had been thinking about this for years but haven't had a chance to ask Americans until now.

You look at Switzerland which has a pretty high rate of gun ownership but a pretty low homicide rate. To me, there is a big discrepancy here. If it is not the gun, what is it. I have my ideas but I would like to hear yours.

Just my ...

The USA seems consumed with litigation... which does not end with a judgement. IMO we need for justice to become; the innocent are avenged... and the guilty are punished HARD.

Putting FEAR of punishment into the minds of criminals would IMO go a long way to lowering crime in the USA.

Then again; the more citizens who are ARMED... will put as much fear in criminals as anything. Here is the way it works:

A perp decides he is gonna take his gun (illegally bought on the street, from someone that smuggled it into the USA... it was NEVER registered anywhere); and rob the folks at this high end restaurant. Perp sneaks in through the kitchen and dresses as a waiter (should be obvious, he has not shaven in a week). Perp heads out on the floor of the restaurant with a towel over his arm, hiding his gun under the towel.
    Now here is how it goes down in BIG US cities where guns are illegal:
    Perp KNOWS he is safe, 'cause guns are illegal... and if someone is carrying illegally... the cops will bust then and let the perp go (yes, it happens this way most of the time... the cops take the easy way out). Perp walks around the restaurant once, finds the table with the most jewelry on the women, and stops next to the most important looking babe. The gun is placed into her back, and the command to place all the jewelry 'QUIETLY' into the bag goes out. In a few minutes the perp leaves through the kitchen. The jewelry is gone for good, the perp is gone to never be caught, and ALL our insurance rates go up a little because of higher losses.
    Now here is how it goes down in a city where CCW permits are legal and common:
    An alert and observant customer (former special forces dude who made it rich in the stock market) notes the perp and watches... Soon it is clear what is about to go down.
    The SF guy quietly gets the attention of his favourite waiter and explains what is going down... the waiter nods and goes to call the cops. The SF guy gets up as if he is headed towards the restroom; then comes back from the hallway to place himself behind the perp. Next thing the perp knows... there is the business end of a 1911 stuck in his ribs. The SF guys whispers in the perp's ears... "Forget the piece or you are gonna miss the 72 virgins, 'cause the bullet in my gun has pork fat ALL over it".
    SF guy leads the perp into the kitchen, where he is tied up and awaits the cops. Potential crime and potential killing avoided.

Now if I were a criminal... which town and restaurant would I hit? Of COURSE... the eatery in the city which BANNED guns. It is a LOT safer to do crime when I KNOW nobody can defend themselves.
    And which city/restaurant will I as a criminal avoid: Of COURSE the one where lots of dudes and duddets are armed and willing to make life VERY difficult for my little criminal enterprise.
    This folks, is what is called COMMON SENSE. Do we still have it in America?
    The answer is; YES, in red states... yet NO in blue states. Go figure.

Now I have a question for you canucks: Following the definition of common sense above... do you have it north of my border?
    Last edited by ga-hvac-tech; 02-23-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Sure, I know we have lots of guns too. Not as many as the US and of a different type but that wasn't the question.

The American murder rate is at least twice ours and if you don't think guns are an issue, I would like to know what you think the issue actually is? i had been thinking about this for years but haven't had a chance to ask Americans until now.

You look at Switzerland which has a pretty high rate of gun ownership but a pretty low homicide rate. To me, there is a big discrepancy here. If it is not the gun, what is it. I have my ideas but I would like to hear yours.
    ok now we are completely off topic, but I'll give it a shot (hehe)

so lets look at murder rates around the world:

According to the U.N., as of 2005,Scotland was the most violent country in the
    developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted
    than in America.
    Violent crime there has doubled over the last 20years. 3% of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2% in America.288

Scotland tops list of world's most violent countries, The Times, September 19, 2005
    “We don’t have many guns [in Brazil] as the United States, but we use them more.”293 Chocolates for guns? Brazil targets gun violence, Rubem César Fernandes, executive secretary of Viva
    Rio, a nongovernmental agency that studies urban crime, Christian Science Monitor, August 10, 1999

Brazil has mandatory licensing, registration and maximum personal ownership quotas. It now bans any new sales to private citizens. The homicide rate is
    three (3) times higher
    than the U.S.294
    294 Homicide trends in the United States, U.S. data: Bureau of Justice Statistics, September, 2004. Brazil
    data: Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, 2005.
    In Canada around 1920, before there was any form of gun control, their homicide rate was 7% of the U.S rate. By 1986, and after significant gun control legislation,
    Canada’s homicide rate was 35% of the U.S. rate – a significant increase. 295 In 2003,
    Canada had a violent crime rate more than double that of the U.S. (963 vs. 475 per 100,000

295 Targeting Guns, Gary Kleck, Aldine Transaction, 1997, at 360.
    296 Juristat: Crime Statistics in Canada, 2004 and FBI Uniform Crime Statistics online.

actually, Switzerland's murder rate is about the same as England and Wales. But the Swiss do have the most lenient gun law in Europe.

we can not compare the U.S. to UK due to the way the UK reports crime. The UK only reports crime AFTER a final disposition (guilty or acquittal)

CLEARLY America is NOT the most dangerous place to live. But why do we have such a murder rate? Economics, Gangs? there are a variety of socioeconomic reasons. But as I have demonstrated, there are far worse places with much stricter gun laws to live
    LOVE has four letters

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Just my ...

The USA seems consumed with litigation... which does not end with a judgement. IMO we need for justice to become; the innocent are avenged... and the guilty are punished HARD.

Putting FEAR of punishment into the minds of criminals would IMO go a long way to lowering crime in the USA.
    it has been proven (although I can't find the article) that criminals fear only one thing.

Criminals DO NOT FEAR: Police, Dogs or the average citizen.

what scares the begezzus out of a criminal is an ARMED citizen
    LOVE has four letters

it has been proven (although I can't find the article) that criminals fear only one thing.

Criminals DO NOT FEAR: Police, Dogs or the average citizen.

what scares the begezzus out of a criminal is an ARMED citizen
    See my post #36 above...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast