Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    well for one thing common sense.

You must not think like a criminal.

second if someone is going to sell a firearm to ANYONE even if it's registered, I would think ten minutes later it will be reported stolen.
    And if they report another stolen a month later, and then another a couple of months later, do you think the cops will think there is something funny going on.

Look, there IS a black market for firearms, there is no way to stop it or control it.
    And not knowing where the guns are coming from helps? Could you imagine if none of our cars were licensed? Somebody crashes into a school bus load of kids and the driver runs away. The cops come around and they notice it is a blue car. "Well that is going to be a lot of help helping us solve this one."

Most firearms that are on/in the black market have been stolen from someone else. registering a firearm does nothing if the gun is found at a crime scene except let the police know who originally bought the thing, which means nothing because the cops are not going to give the gun back, they will destroy it. so big whoop
    And the rest are sold by someone who acquired them legally. What is to stop someone that wants to sell guns to any Tom Dick and Hoodie from buying guns legally and then pass them along to unsavory individuals? Oh yeah I forgot.

common sense.
    How about this, lets punish the douche that uses a gun during the commission of a crime.....hey, theres an idea. lets make criminals pay.....naaa thats the liberal mamby-pamby the poor criminal is just misunderstood mentality.
    We are trying but the damn liberals think differently.

An Ontario Superior Court judge has chosen to defy the federal government by refusing to impose a mandatory three-year sentence on a man caught with a loaded handgun, because to do so would be akin to "cruel and unusual punishment."
    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TorontoNew...inimum-120213/

Registration DOES NOTHING to deter crime, why is that concept so hard to understand.....sheesh

Lets check out the NYS CoBIS program. This is a unique registration program technically called "Combined Ballistic Identification System" or Ballistic DNA. Not only do we get to register our hand guns but we get to turn in A single fired case from that weapon.

Read it and weep: http://www.ocshooters.com/Reports/cobis/cobis.htm

As of Dec 1, 2011 there are 356,000+ guns registered, tax payer cost $44,333,333+, number of crimes solved, ZERO (although the system did have two "hits")

Gun registration doesn't work because the bad guys DON'T CARE
    You seem to miss the point of registration. The main reason for it is to remind the owner to be responsible with their firearms. Prevent the crime in the first place and society is a happier place.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

The judge has to have the power to look at circumstances. In the Ontario supreme court decision, the judge noted that the man had no record, the gun wasn't his and he was only posing with it for a photo, AFAIK. Sticking him in jail for something stupid helps no one. He committed no other crime with it. I agree with the judge in that the govts NEW minimum sentencing law is just a load of BS to appeal to their base supporters because there is no data to support it.

If you want to tell whether the gun control laws work at all just compare our per capita gun related crime rate and, for that matter, in Europe where they are shoved in cheek to jowl.

Go ahead, look them up. Then tell me if the crime rates are justifiable and acceptable, nothing to worry about. They have criminology studies for a reason and the stats are there.

[QUOTE=printer2;12541051]

You must not think like a criminal.

And if they report another stolen a month later, and then another a couple of months later, do you think the cops will think there is something funny going on.
    apparently not, not even an idiot would not bring that much attention to themselves

And not knowing where the guns are coming from helps? Could you imagine if none of our cars were licensed? Somebody crashes into a school bus load of kids and the driver runs away. The cops come around and they notice it is a blue car. "Well that is going to be a lot of help helping us solve this one."
    aaah the automobile comparison. what if the car was stolen? all that does is tell the cops who owned the vehicle. does not help solve who was driving

And the rest are sold by someone who acquired them legally. What is to stop someone that wants to sell guns to any Tom Dick and Hoodie from buying guns legally and then pass them along to unsavory individuals? Oh yeah I forgot.
    really? so YOU registered the weapon and sold it to "someone" you have no clue who that is, he sells the weapon to someone else, and that guy sells it to someone else, what if the gun changes hands 5 or 6times in one year? you keep thinking that Law abiding citizens are running around and doing nothing but making straw purchases, we KNOW thats not the case.

We are trying but the damn liberals think differently.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TorontoNew...inimum-120213/

You seem to miss the point of registration. The main reason for it is to remind the owner to be responsible with their firearms. Prevent the crime in the first place and society is a happier place.
    Im not missing the point at all. Citations are listed below

California and NYS has had handgun registration since WWI and it has
    not any impact of violent crime rate.

Not in New Zealand
    . They repealed their gun registration law in the 1980s after
    police acknowledged its worthlessness.: Introduction of Firearms User Licensing Instead of Rifle and Shotgun Registration
    Under the Arms Act 1983, (Wellington, New Zealand: n.p., 1983)

Not in Canada. More than 20,000 Canadian gun-owners have publicly refused to
    register their firearms. Many others (as many as 300,00042) are silently ignoring the law.

• The provincial governments of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba have dumped
    both the administration and the enforcement of all federal gun-control laws right back
    into Ottawa's lap, throwing the Canadian government into a paper civil war.

• And all at a cost more than 1,646% the original projected cost43 (the original cost was
    estimated at 5% of all police expenditures in Canada44). "The gun registry as it sits
    right now is causing law abiding citizens to register their guns but it does nothing to
    take one illegal gun off the street or to increase any type of penalty for anybody that
    violates any part of the legislation," according to Al Koenig, President, Calgary Police

Association.45 [U]"We have an ongoing gun crisis, including firearms-related homicides
    lately in Toronto, and a law registering firearms has neither deterred these crimes nor
    helped us solve any of them," according to Toronto police Chief Julian Fantino .46[/U]

• The system is so bad that six Canadian provinces (British Columbia joins Manitoba,
    Saskatchewan, Alberta, Nova Scotia, and Ontario) are refusing to prosecute firearm
    owners who fail to register.
    • A bill to abolish the registry has been tabled (introduced) in the Canadian Parliament,
    which if passed, would eliminate the registry completely.48
    • A Saskatchewan MP who endorsed the long gun registry when first proposed has
    introduced legislation to abolish it stating that, “[the registry] has not saved one life in
    Canada, and it has been a financial sinkhole … absolutely useless in helping locate the
    255,000 people who have been prohibited from owning firearms by the courts.”49

Fact: Not in Germany. The Federal Republic of Germany began comprehensive gun
    registration in 1972. The government estimated that between 17,000,000 and 20,000,000
    guns were to be registered, but only 3,200,000 surfaced, leaving 80% unaccounted for.50

Fact: Not in Boston, Cleveland, or California. These cities and state require registration
    of “assault weapons.” The compliance rate in Boston and Cleveland is about 1%.51

42 Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights, Evidence number 55, June 5, 2003

Ottawa Under Pressure Over Gun Registry Fiasco, David Ljunggren, Reuters, December 4, 2002.

44 When ‘Gun Control’ costs lives, John Lott, Firing Line, September 2001.

45 Calgary Herald, September 1, 2000.

46 Opponents increase pressure to halt Canada's gun control program, Associated Press, Jan 3, 2002.

47 Victoria won't enforce firearms act, Vancouver Sun, June 06, 2003.

48 An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act, Received first reading June 19, 2006.

49 $2 billion worth of police will save more lives than one gun registry, Garry Breitkreuz, National Post,
    February 27, 2009.

50 Why Gun Registration will Fail, Ted Drane, Australian Shooters Journal, May 1997.

51 The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy: Should America Adopt the Gun Controls of Other
    Democracies, David B. Kopel, 231, n.210 (1992).

Myth: Gun registration will help police find suspects
    Fact: Registration is required in Hawaii, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Yet there has
    not been a single case where registration was instrumental in identifying someone who
    committed a crime.52 Criminals very rarely leave their guns at the scene of the crime.
    Would-be criminals also virtually never get licenses or register their weapons

Myth: Licensing will keep bad people from obtaining
    or using guns

Fact: Not in Canada. Canadian homicide rates were virtually unchanged before and
    after gun registration requirements were implemented (151/100,000 people in 1998 and
    149/100,000 in 2002).54

Fact: In New York State alone, approximately 100,000 persons are convicted of
    unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle each year, and this is probably a small proportion
    of the actual number of people who drive without a valid license. Licensing
    requirements don’t stop ineligible people from driving, and they do not stop ineligible
    people from acquiring guns.

54 Statistics Canada, Oct 1, 2003.

I can do this all day long, how many more facts do you need about gun registration?

FACT: CRIMINALS DON'T REGISTER THERE FIREARMS......DUH!!!!
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Hard to argue with those facts! Nice job!!!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Hard to argue with those facts! Nice job!!!
    thank you, Like I said, I can do this all day. I have tons of Facts and gun laws.

If you own a gun, you better know and understand gun law and how to interact with Law enforcement. Otherwise your going to be in trouble, lots of trouble

ok I lied, I have to go earn a living so I can't do this all day

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post

apparently not, not even an idiot would not bring that much attention to themselves

Exactly. Now if the not-so-idiot could buy guns and dispose of them without any record that he had them, I would say the deterrent to doing so would be gone. Yes you do seem to get it.

aah the automobile comparison. what if the car was stolen? all that does is tell the cops who owned the vehicle. does not help solve who was driving
    The cops would then go to the car owner and ask where the car was last when it was stolen, could then start an investigation of who might have stole it. Haven't you seen any cop shows?

really? so YOU registered the weapon and sold it to "someone" you have no clue who that is, he sells the weapon to someone else, and that guy sells it to someone else, what if the gun changes hands 5 or 6times in one year? you keep thinking that Law abiding citizens are running around and doing nothing but making straw purchases, we KNOW thats not the case.
    With no tracking the gun can be sold 6 times and who knows who's hands it will be in by then. With the registry the gun can not just disappear after a couple of purchases.

Im not missing the point at all. Citations are listed below

California and NYS has had handgun registration since WWI and it has
    not any impact of violent crime rate.

Not in New Zealand
    . They repealed their gun registration law in the 1980s after
    police acknowledged its worthlessness.: Introduction of Firearms User Licensing Instead of Rifle and Shotgun Registration
    Under the Arms Act 1983, (Wellington, New Zealand: n.p., 1983)
    [/QUOTE]

Not in Canada. More than 20,000 Canadian gun-owners have publicly refused to
    register their firearms. Many others (as many as 300,00042) are silently ignoring the law.
    Those numbers may make sense to you but knowing our population those numbers look made up.

• The provincial governments of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba have dumped
    both the administration and the enforcement of all federal gun-control laws right back
    into Ottawa's lap, throwing the Canadian government into a paper civil war.
    Sure, the provinces do not want to pay for it. Why should they?

• And all at a cost more than 1,646% the original projected cost43 (the original cost was
    estimated at 5% of all police expenditures in Canada44).
    Shoot, I bought a very expensive car and now it is paid off. It is hard to justify the money I spent on it. Even though I only have to put oil and gas in it now I think I will throw the car in the river now even though it is still running fairly well. Well got to go catch my bus.

"The gun registry as it sits
    right now is causing law abiding citizens to register their guns but it does nothing to
    take one illegal gun off the street or to increase any type of penalty for anybody that
    violates any part of the legislation," according to Al Koenig, President, Calgary Police

Association.45 [U]"We have an ongoing gun crisis, including firearms-related homicides
    lately in Toronto, and a law registering firearms has neither deterred these crimes nor
    helped us solve any of them," according to Toronto police Chief Julian Fantino .46[/U]
    And how many police are in favor of keeping it? Also the registry is just one part of our system.

• The system is so bad that six Canadian provinces (British Columbia joins Manitoba,
    Saskatchewan, Alberta, Nova Scotia, and Ontario) are refusing to prosecute firearm
    owners who fail to register.
    When the federal government gives an amnesty to people who are not registering their guns the provinces are going to enforce the laws? That just sounds silly.

• A bill to abolish the registry has been tabled (introduced) in the Canadian Parliament,
    which if passed, would eliminate the registry completely.48
    • A Saskatchewan MP who endorsed the long gun registry when first proposed has
    introduced legislation to abolish it stating that, “[the registry] has not saved one life in
    Canada, and it has been a financial sinkhole … absolutely useless in helping locate the
    255,000 people who have been prohibited from owning firearms by the courts.”49
    Nothing much relevant here. Also is it not strange that the government could loose 255,000 people? What, these people do not pay their taxes?

Sorry but I got to go, I have work to do.

Fact: Not in Germany. The Federal Republic of Germany began comprehensive gun
    registration in 1972. The government estimated that between 17,000,000 and 20,000,000
    guns were to be registered, but only 3,200,000 surfaced, leaving 80% unaccounted for.50

Fact: Not in Boston, Cleveland, or California. These cities and state require registration
    of “assault weapons.” The compliance rate in Boston and Cleveland is about 1%.51

42 Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights, Evidence number 55, June 5, 2003

Ottawa Under Pressure Over Gun Registry Fiasco, David Ljunggren, Reuters, December 4, 2002.

44 When ‘Gun Control’ costs lives, John Lott, Firing Line, September 2001.

45 Calgary Herald, September 1, 2000.

46 Opponents increase pressure to halt Canada's gun control program, Associated Press, Jan 3, 2002.

47 Victoria won't enforce firearms act, Vancouver Sun, June 06, 2003.

48 An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act, Received first reading June 19, 2006.

49 $2 billion worth of police will save more lives than one gun registry, Garry Breitkreuz, National Post,
    February 27, 2009.

50 Why Gun Registration will Fail, Ted Drane, Australian Shooters Journal, May 1997.

51 The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy: Should America Adopt the Gun Controls of Other
    Democracies, David B. Kopel, 231, n.210 (1992).

Myth: Gun registration will help police find suspects
    Fact: Registration is required in Hawaii, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Yet there has
    not been a single case where registration was instrumental in identifying someone who
    committed a crime.52 Criminals very rarely leave their guns at the scene of the crime.
    Would-be criminals also virtually never get licenses or register their weapons

Myth: Licensing will keep bad people from obtaining
    or using guns

Fact: Not in Canada. Canadian homicide rates were virtually unchanged before and
    after gun registration requirements were implemented (151/100,000 people in 1998 and
    149/100,000 in 2002).54

Fact: In New York State alone, approximately 100,000 persons are convicted of
    unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle each year, and this is probably a small proportion
    of the actual number of people who drive without a valid license. Licensing
    requirements don’t stop ineligible people from driving, and they do not stop ineligible
    people from acquiring guns.

54 Statistics Canada, Oct 1, 2003.

FACT: CRIMINALS DON'T REGISTER THERE FIREARMS......DUH!!!![/QUOTE]

I can do this all day long, how many more facts do you need about gun registration?
    And I can put out a case for keeping it also. But what is the point? We have better things to do.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

You put opinions Printer. Give me some facts with references so I can check. I am opposed to registering my gun or guns, but am open to listening to opinions...

You stated it was so law-abiding people could remember the "right things to do" or something close to that. Couldn't you just make a mandatory gun safety course that would then give you a permit to own a gun or guns? Doesn't mean you own any, but you legally could. Just like a driver's license....

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    And I can put out a case for keeping it also. But what is the point? We have better things to do.
    No you can't

even when presented with FACTS, you ignore them. "figures look made up" PROVE IT

I did, wheres your proof that any of the facts I posted are NOT TRUE.

You are the ultimate liberal. facts are meaningless to you, or worse you don't care. You would rather have your government run your life and Lord over you, well thats why your in Canada and we are in the Land of the free

Liberals operate from feelings... TRUE conservatives operate from facts.

Wonder which one makes life work?

What amazes me is: When cornered; a liberal will baulk before they cite documentable facts... Yet a TRUE conservative, as JayMac said, can post facts all day long.

Makes it kinda easy to see who understands and who does not.

BTW: There is an endless string of govts prosecuting FORMER gun owners who legally sold their guns... because something was not right with the paperwork. The system does not care WHO they prosecute for a crime... they just want a warm body to pick on... to promote their career.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

There has to be some reason why our homicide rate is 1.9/100,000 and in the US it is 4.8/100,000 (down from a high of 9.8 in 1979 -1981). I was the highest of the western industrialized countries. I think guns had a bit part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    There has to be some reason why our homicide rate is 1.9/100,000 and in the US it is 4.8/100,000 (down from a high of 9.8 in 1979 -1981). I was the highest of the western industrialized countries. I think guns had a bit part of it.
    Guns are not it and the answer is simple. Ask who is doing the killing? What ethnic group is responsible? Canada does not have the same mix as in the US. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    You are right, guns are a part of it. Once the honest citizen is fully armed the criminals don't have easy prey!

Registering a gun is no problem for the left, but a simple photo ID is way too much to ask of citizens just to prove they are legal. .....go F, I mean go figure......
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast