Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

some good news from Canada

No, we did not make them a state

THEY did end the Long gun registry

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02...-gun-registry/

You guys want to send your Politician to Albany and convince those idiots that registration doesn't work

Congratulations there is common sense left on the planet
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

The majority of Canadians are still for the registry but the current govt was not and couldn't do anything about it till they had a majority in Parliament. I have no problem with people owning rifles for hunting but just like cars I would like to see them registered.

Okay, I have to ask, why? Do the criminals register their guns as well?
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Okay, I have to ask, why? Do the criminals register their guns as well?
    So that law abiding gun owners do not overlook the fact they should not sell their guns to non-law abiding bad guys.

Having the registry or not is no big deal to me. Still have to have mine registered.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Okay, I am still confused. Maybe it's because I am not familiar with your registration system, but how does that prevent it?
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

All it does is allow the cops to trace guns that were used in crimes. It is possible to then trace them back to different buyers and maybe even smugglers or blackmarket types. I still have to get an FAC (firearms acquisition certificate) and do a the courses and police background checks. There are lots hunters with lots of rifles and in the long run, IMO, the registry doesn't harm any law abiding person.

Im live in georgia and I know about canadas laws or regulations, are canadians allowed to own handguns, or anything that is automatic? I am glad to see the news about this gun registration stuff.
    IMO inside my home is MY buisness, if I cary concealed and they want THAT gun registered I am more understanding of the reasons. But registering a gun for the sake knowing where all the guns are, for solving crimes? I cant remember the last time I heard a murder using a .270 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by GAacTech View Post
    Im live in georgia and I know about canadas laws or regulations, are canadians allowed to own handguns, or anything that is automatic? I am glad to see the news about this gun registration stuff.
    IMO inside my home is MY buisness, if I cary concealed and they want THAT gun registered I am more understanding of the reasons. But registering a gun for the sake knowing where all the guns are, for solving crimes? I cant remember the last time I heard a murder using a .270 Winchester.
    Look at my avatar.

Rather get shot by a hand gun than a high power rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_tragedy

So what it to stop you from selling an unregistered rifle to the kid down the street if no one knows the rifle belongs to you?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

As there is no right to bare arms in our constitution, the laws we make mostly reflect current conditions. When there is a massacre like the one above or the one below,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89c...nique_massacre

we get quite irate and there is always a greater cry for more gun control. I don't know of anyone here that would advocate allowing handguns or any automatic rifles let alone mac10 type stuff.

With very few exceptions, automatic weapons of any kind are banned in Canada. Any assault type rifle must be semi-auto only, there is no carrying of concealed weapons at all and there are strict regs for storage of the weapons and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Look at my avatar.

Rather get shot by a hand gun than a high power rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_tragedy

So what it to stop you from selling an unregistered rifle to the kid down the street if no one knows the rifle belongs to you?
    well for one thing common sense. second if someone is going to sell a firearm to ANYONE even if it's registered, I would think ten minutes later it will be reported stolen.

Look, there IS a black market for firearms, there is no way to stop it or control it. Most firearms that are on/in the black market have been stolen from someone else. registering a firearm does nothing if the gun is found at a crime scene except let the police know who originally bought the thing, which means nothing because the cops are not going to give the gun back, they will destroy it. so big whoop

How about this, lets punish the douche that uses a gun during the commission of a crime.....hey, theres an idea. lets make criminals pay.....naaa thats the liberal mamby-pamby the poor criminal is just misunderstood mentality.

Registration DOES NOTHING to deter crime, why is that concept so hard to understand.....sheesh

Lets check out the NYS CoBIS program. This is a unique registration program technically called "Combined Ballistic Identification System" or Ballistic DNA. Not only do we get to register our hand guns but we get to turn in A single fired case from that weapon.

Read it and weep: http://www.ocshooters.com/Reports/cobis/cobis.htm

As of Dec 1, 2011 there are 356,000+ guns registered, tax payer cost $44,333,333+, number of crimes solved, ZERO (although the system did have two "hits")

Gun registration doesn't work because the bad guys DON'T CARE
    The Last four letters

any questions

I thought they got rid of the gun registry because they finally realized forcing legal gun owners to register their gun wasn't making a dent in gun related crimes. Funny thing is that the criminals were not registering their guns. Go figure.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    As there is no right to bare arms in our constitution, the laws we make mostly reflect current conditions. When there is a massacre like the one above or the one below,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89c...nique_massacre

we get quite irate and there is always a greater cry for more gun control. I don't know of anyone here that would advocate allowing handguns or any automatic rifles let alone mac10 type stuff.

With very few exceptions, automatic weapons of any kind are banned in Canada. Any assault type rifle must be semi-auto only, there is no carrying of concealed weapons at all and there are strict regs for storage of the weapons and ammo.
    SO glad I was born in Missouri instead of north of the border!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    SO glad I was born in Missouri instead of north of the border!
    what she said
    The Last four letters

any questions

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast