Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello ALL:

I am wondering if anyone here knows the value of the CB required for a Carrier 5 ton Infinity 16. We have an old 5 ton Heat Pump now with a 40A CB. Can we use the same one for the New Infinity? If the new Infinity is more efficient than the old one, it seems that it should not be any higher than 40.

We were already told that the Infinity 16 costs more than the Infinity 17, so hate to spend even more $$$.

Thank you.

The Bryant version calls for 33 amp minimum circuit ampacity, 50 amp maximum breaker. Didn't say minimum breaker so at a guess you'd think 40 would be OK. Unless you have an exotic breaker, they are cheap if you did have to go to 50 amp. If you have a 40 you should have #8 wire which is usually fine for a 50 too.

Change it change it I found a 2.5 ton square d where it burned a hole thru the disconnect box and partway into a wood structure because the breaker was lose on the clip. Whats a breaker $12.99?

Well, we do have a 40 amp now and the question is if the person adds a 50 amp will my wiring be OK. He does not know the gauge yet. Just wondering if the existing 40 is OK, and if I do need to go to 50 amp, is my wiring OK as it is. I assume the wire is 8 gauge even with the 40 amp in there now as it is a 5 ton heat pump in there now...and it is 50+ feet away.

There is a sticker with the min amp circuit required on the unit.
    The breakers have a sticker that show what wire size they are good for.

OK, but we have not seen the Infinity 16 yet so do not know. I wonder if Carrier can tell me?

I don't have any of there spec data you may find it at there web sight.
    I still would change the breaker even if it calls for the same size.

cost of breaker varies greatly with make of panel. ever price a 2 pole 50 for a pushmatic panel??

A 40 amp breaker will work. The unit is rated for 33.3 MCA ( Minimum Circuit Amps ) and 50 MOCP (Maximum Overcurrent Protection.)
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

You know, the old 5 Ton Heat Pump in there now is rated about the same...50 MAX. It would be great to see the specs but I do not find them anywhere on the Carrier site.

Originally posted by plain spoken
    A 40 amp breaker will work. The unit is rated for 33.3 MCA ( Minimum Circuit Amps ) and 50 MOCP (Maximum Overcurrent Protection.)
    <<<edit: hit the wrong button.>>>

[Edited by jrbenny on 04-28-2006 at 11:00 PM]

Product data is available to dealers who have access to the protected portion of the site. This is a new unit and most of the literature is just now being released. Your dealer can get a copy for you from his distributor. Even though the unit is more efficient than your old unit, the way breakers and wire are sized according to the National Electrical Code, the size will usually not change.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Originally posted by mpsan
    You know, the old 5 Ton Heat Pump in there now is rated about the same...50 MAX. It would be great to see the specs but I do not find them anywhere on the Carrier site.

He just gave you the information from Carrier's dealer site.

Welcome back, PS. Good to see you around the joint again. Missed you in TX.

Thank you again. I guess I can keep my old breaker as the whole panel is in the house. No rain, etc.

Thank you again!

Product data is available to dealers who have access to the protected portion of the site. This is a new unit and most of the literature is just now being released. Your dealer can get a copy for you from his distributor. Even though the unit is more efficient than your old unit, the way breakers and wire are sized according to the National Electrical Code, the size will usually not change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast