Hybrid View

Munchkin Contender Drain

hello...

I had a Munchkin Contender gas boiler installed.
    I keep getting a "flu" error code.

The technician tried changing some settings.

Can someone give me an opinion on this:

There is a drain pipe coming out of the condensate cup on the bottom. The tech who installed it drilled a hole in my concrete floor and inserted the drain pipe directly unto this. It is draining into what ever is underneath the concrete floor. This does not seem right. Is this noramally how it is done? To me I suspect it is clogging up with mud etc., and causing the "flu" error code.

Shouldn't the drain pipe lead into an actual drainage system like a sink, sump pump, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john2109 View Post
    hello...

I had a Munchkin Contender gas boiler installed.
    I keep getting a "flu" error code.

The technician tried changing some settings.

Can someone give me an opinion on this:

There is a drain pipe coming out of the condensate cup on the bottom. The tech who installed it drilled a hole in my concrete floor and inserted the drain pipe directly unto this. It is draining into what ever is underneath the concrete floor. This does not seem right. Is this noramally how it is done? To me I suspect it is clogging up with mud etc., and causing the "flu" error code.

Shouldn't the drain pipe lead into an actual drainage system like a sink, sump pump, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Depends on if you have a sink or something for it to dump into.

I've done the hole in the floor thing before, but it's because the unit was in a barn.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Depends on if you have a sink or something for it to dump into.

I've done the hole in the floor thing before, but it's because the unit was in a barn.
    Thanks for your response.
    The manual states that the condensate should have a "suitable" drain.
    This boiler was installed in a house. There are drain pipes from sinks etc., but they are located above the boiler.

Since this is a house would you say, that in this case, the hole in the concrete slab is not a suitable drain? It could be prone to blockage.

also..

That perhaps a pump should be used to pump the condensate to a proper drainage?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by john2109 View Post
    Thanks for your response.
    The manual states that the condensate should have a "suitable" drain.
    This boiler was installed in a house. There are drain pipes from sinks etc., but they are located above the boiler.

Since this is a house would you say, that in this case, the hole in the concrete slab is not a suitable drain? It could be prone to blockage.

also..

That perhaps a pump should be used to pump the condensate to a proper drainage?

Thanks.
    Dunno.
    I've only done a slab drain method as a last resort.

Unless they crammed the pipe full of mud, I don't think it's the issue.

How about this:
    is there any type of screen over the intake and exhaust pipe outside?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

The FLU error is caused by:

1: Blocked flu pipe. Possible, but not likely.

2: Plugged drain, or loose/disengaged condensate cup. It has a microswitch that tells you when the cup is fully seated. It also has a float switch for a plugged drain condition.

Have your installer come back and fix the drain. Run it into a condensate pump.

I have seen drains piped like that a few times and they usually don't work very long and eventually plug up. Make them come back and pipe it to a real drain, or use a pump.