Looking for a 2 ton 10 SEER unit. I understand that installation is very important but assuming the same installer which brand is preferred.

Goodman or Coleman or KeepRite and why?

Oh, I guess everyone will have their own opinion. Keeprite has 2 lines of 10 SEER. Their premium unit will be much nicer than their standard unit, the Goodman or Coleman. Scroll compressor, sound deadening top, better warranty. Beyond that, they are all about the same. Cheap, noisy unit with recip.

What if I were to tell you they Goodman has a 10 YR parts and labour warranty and the KeepRite has a 10 YR compressor, 5 YR parts and 1 YR labour warranty. How does this factor in to the decision.

PS. The keeprite model in question is the unit with the scroll compressor.

Any thoughts?

10 SEER units are no longer manufactured.

You are about to purchase a piece of equipment which is designed to last 15+ years. Why not spend a little more and go for a more efficient system instead of something which is already obsolete? Energy costs might not be an issue now, but they're going to rise for obvious reasons.

I plan on moving within the next 10 years. I live in Canada and have done the calculations on how much I would save in hydro and it does not justify the cost upgrade of a 10 SEER unit to a 13 SEER unit, especially now that all the 10 SEER units are being blown out to get rid of the remaining stock.

Most people plan on moving in the next 10 years. YOu figured what payback will be at todays rates but do know what they will be in 2, 5, 7 ,or 10 years. 3 years ago natural gas was 1/2 what it is this year. Rates will not be going down.
    Anyone " contractor " can pick up any of these units with no affiliations or standards. WHo is going to do the warranty if they go out of business?

I think you are fishing for someone to tell you that the cheaper the better.

I was just asking for opinions? I really don't see a huge difference energy wise to using a 10 vs a 13 SEER unit. Consider the price of a 13 SEER unit is going to be at least $500 more (for the same cheap brands, $1000 more for better brands) I can't justify the difference. Please correct me if my thinking is wrong.

I used the following site to determine the savings between a 10 SEER and a 13 SEER model.

http://www.electricitychoices.org/ce...alculator.html

I agree. We're in an area where rates don't justify high SEER. They've gone up about 1/2 a cent per kwh in the 14 years I've lived here.

Find out who the long warranty is from on the Goodman. That is not standard. Standard is 5 year parts only and whatever labor warranty the dealer gives. If through Goodman or a reliable 3rd party like Equiguard, it will be fine. And something you can get on the Keeprite. The latter will be so much quieter than the Goodman if that matters.

Originally posted by geronamo
    I plan on moving within the next 10 years. I live in Canada and have done the calculations on how much I would save in hydro and it does not justify the cost upgrade of a 10 SEER unit to a 13 SEER unit, especially now that all the 10 SEER units are being blown out to get rid of the remaining stock.
    Where in Canada do you live? (province, not address or city)

In Ontario rates are going up and will continue to increase - not sure about other provinces. Many utilities also give rebates for upgrading.

I guess that there's also the environmental aspect of it as well, but not too many people on this board seem to care.

with that line of equipment just go the cheapest route.