Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay View Post
    This is interesting because an experienced tech told me it's been his observation that customers seem more satisfied with 2-stage heat controlled by the furnace rather than a 2-stage thermostat. It would have been easy for the contractor to claim otherwise and try to sell me a 2-stage thermostat, but that never happened.
    Several people have posted on this board, that after they upgraded from a single stage stat to a 2 stage, they were much more comfortable.

Many contractors are intimidated by 2 stage stats. And talk people out of using them.

And older people really like it since they have much longer on times with nice gentle heat coming out of the registers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    This furnace can't use a 2 stage stat. So much for the comfort of long run cycles on gentle low in bitter weather. I'd never have one of these, if you have to go with Goodman, get a GMVC95.
    If a 2-stage furnace is able to maintain the desired house temp in "bitter weather" while only running on "gentle low", then would that mean the furnace is oversized?

I'm looking at it like this. Maybe in early fall and late spring the units will be able to keep the house where it needs to be running on low. Kind of like a heat pump does w/ less overall heat output. Maybe all other times this configuration will be able to hold my house 'some' of the time.

Again, I was buying purely for better warranty and hopefully better build quality/reliability. The 2 stage was a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay View Post
    If a 2-stage furnace is able to maintain the desired house temp in "bitter weather" while only running on "gentle low", then would that mean the furnace is oversized?
    Yes. If it doesn't need to go to second stage, then its too big.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12