Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 Stage Heat ?'s

Hey Gang,

I'm looking to upgrade my builder grade Goodman system to a GME95 furnace with SSX14 AC Compressor. Its a two zone house, so I'm getting 2 of each.

My question is w/ regards to two stage heating. I had inquired if the upgrade price included 2 stage thermostats. The builders sub responded that you only need a 2 stage thermostat when you have 2 stage A/C - the 2 stage heat is done internally at the furnace so there is no need for the 2 stage thermostat.

Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Actually w/ this furnace it doesn't look like I have a option (and the sub seems to be right).

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/DesktopMod...31SS-GME95.pdf

Towards the bottom it reads:

Dual$aver™
    This furnace is capable of the following heating modes:
    • Single Stage (Factory Setting)
    • Modified Two-Stage
    »» Fixed 5-Min Low Stage
    »» Auto Time (1-12 Min) Low Stage
    To change from the factory single-stage operation, adjust
    the dipswitches on the ignition control as follows:
    Mode Off On
    5 Min
    Fixed
    Auto
    Mode Dipswitch
    2nd Stage Delay
    Dipswitch
    Note: This furnace is designed to be used with a single-stage room
    thermostat.

Smile

you can wire most all 2 stage furnaces to let the thermostat determine 2nd stage or a timer in the furnace. You have to have enough strands of wires at the thermostat to operate 2 stages of heat/cool. If there are not enough wires, then you could have the Honeywell IAQ thermostat installed and it will do it all with minimum wires at the stat.

This furnace can't use a 2 stage stat. So much for the comfort of long run cycles on gentle low in bitter weather. I'd never have one of these, if you have to go with Goodman, get a GMVC95.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    This furnace can't use a 2 stage stat. So much for the comfort of long run cycles on gentle low in bitter weather. I'd never have one of these, if you have to go with Goodman, get a GMVC95.
    What he said.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Ditto
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

Its either this or the GKS9. I'm looking to upgrade to get the better warranty, better overall system build, etc. The 2 stage was quite honestly a bonus. Unfortunately I do not have the funds to go another step up the chain as this upgrade price was already a kick in the seat.

BTW thanks for answering BeenThere and BaldLoonie - you guys helped me out so much 4 years ago when I swapped builder grade junk w/ a nice Ruud Hybrid system.

Last fall I had a new 2-stage Trane XV80 gas furnace installed and it runs just fine with my single-stage thermostat. Staging is controlled internally by the furnace, however switches on the furnace controls have to be properly set for this to happen.

Sure they run "just fine" with a single stage stat. But you aren't getting the full benefit of 2 stage heat with a timer. And Goodman's timer is smarter than Trane's too.

Look at your car or van. As the vehicle comes up to temp, you turn the heat lower, right? But your furnace with a timer does the opposite. Just as the house is warming up, it goes HIGHER then shuts off. Do you shut the heat off in your car on a cold morning? No, that wouldn't be comfy and you would soon be turning it back on. So why do you want your furnace doing that. The idea of 2 stage is long run cycles on a quiet, gentle low in bitter weather for constant comfort. You cannot have that with a timer constantly firing up in 10-15 minutes or even less. Only a 2 stage stat sensing what the HOUSE NEEDS can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay View Post
    Last fall I had a new 2-stage Trane XV80 gas furnace installed and it runs just fine with my single-stage thermostat. Staging is controlled internally by the furnace, however switches on the furnace controls have to be properly set for this to happen.
    You put a Good 2 stage stat on it, and set it to use the stat to determine staging. And you'll wish you had done it right a ways. Your comfort will increase greatly over letting the furnace board decide.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
    Its either this or the GKS9. I'm looking to upgrade to get the better warranty, better overall system build, etc. The 2 stage was quite honestly a bonus. Unfortunately I do not have the funds to go another step up the chain as this upgrade price was already a kick in the seat.

Well, its better then just a single stage furnace.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You put a Good 2 stage stat on it, and set it to use the stat to determine staging. And you'll wish you had done it right a ways. Your comfort will increase greatly over letting the furnace board decide.
    This is interesting because an experienced tech told me it's been his observation that customers seem more satisfied with 2-stage heat controlled by the furnace rather than a 2-stage thermostat. It would have been easy for the contractor to claim otherwise and try to sell me a 2-stage thermostat, but that never happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast