Is it worth saving...would anybody likely want this...how hard or expensive to have it moved.

I have an older home (100yrs) that's slowly getting restored and insulated as I go. The above air conditioner sits out front and is quite an eyesore. The unit works great. Our first couple summers in the home we ran it a lot but found that because of the inefficiency of the home ended up costing quite a bit. However, as we've been installing ceiling fans and with the added insulation we don't seem to need it as much anymore. If the thing wasn't right in front of the house and hidden out back I'd probably leave it hooked up, but we're landscaping the front the it's gotta go.

TIA

Darren

Two choices:

A. Move it to the back...cost X dollars.

B. Replace it...cost savings minus purchase price.
    Furnace old also?
    It's old, compressor amps are what? 15 - 18 amps versus new at 8 amps? Fan motor also draws more than new.

Comfort level of new should be considered.

The HS8 was out from 1970 to 1975 so at miniumum it is 31 years old. J U N K I T !

Sis had one of them. It was so bad I was recharging it twice a year. When she called to say the fan motor went out and to bring a new motor, I said I was coming with a whole new cooling system! That was 10 years ago.

Thanks for the responses...from searching the forum I figured it wasn't worth putting any money into it. So there goes pawning it off on someone else...even for free. Whats the likelyhood someone would want to evac the R22 left in it...for free?

What would you do with it? I wouldn't want it in my a/c, would you? Pay to have it recovered and sent to the old retired refrigerant's home where they add it to the oxygen lines so those former techs remember the old days.

Are you pinching pennies?

are you having new equipment put in or going without cooling?

if new is to be installed in a new location, have the contractor recover refrigerant and scrap old unit.

I'm going without cooling...I don't need it.

Always pinching pennies. Why pay someone to take it out if the refridgerant is worth something to them. I know shops will take the r12 out of vehicles for free so figured it may be same with the r22.

Guess it won't hurt to call and worst case scenario have it evacuated then just dismantle myself. I have a feeling the techs in my town are gonna charge me to vac it and then just dump it though...backwards types they are.

If you want rip the coil out and sell the copper, shouldn't cost much to just have the unit evacuated, Just stand behind the guys shoulder and make sure he doesn't dump it.

refrigerant is not worth anything to a service company, we are forbiden buy law from reselling it. only use would be for other equipment you own. must be taken in for recycling and around here we are not paid for it.

k thanks for all the info. One more question...how big is the compressor in this thing...I'm thinking maybe I could salvage it to mickey mouse up some kinda shrewd air compressor for air tools and such?

I'm taking the screen off to use as a sifter with gravel for concrete. Wonder what else would be useful.

compressor would blow oil all over the place, up until it died. its 30 yrs old get what you can for scrap and be done with it.