Coleman H/P Defrost Issues

I have a customer that has a Coleman 18SEER 2 Stage 3Ton heat pump. The issue that I am having with the unit is that it wouldn't defrost the bottom 1/4 of the coil. The unit is sitting up on a snow stand that is 18" off the ground. I have weighed the charge out and re-weighed the correct charge back into the system. I have switched the defrost board on it. I have checked the defrost sensor to see if it was out of range (ohms out fine). What I notice when I was there last time was that the top part of the coil would heat up to 110F and the bottom part had a hard time getting up to 80F after 10mins in defrost. Has anyone had defrost issues with the Coleman or York 18SEER units?? Also I have check the reversing valve to see if it was leaking by and there is only a 1F difference between in and out on the suction side in heating and defrost mode.

If you're satisfied the system is running right, and if the bottom quarter is ice (instead of frost), have you tried "manually" removing the ice with water, assuming it ain't 15˚ ambient? It may have just gotten behind for whatever reason.

In heat pump mode is the discharge line temp 125 plus outdoor ambient?

Might call Tech Support, see if they recommend relocating sensor. I recall a manufacturer doing that back some time ago, but I don't remember who,,,,,,,,solved the problem on that one.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

SUB-COOLING

What is your sub-cooling? Weighed charges wont do it!

Quote Originally Posted by dgunt View Post
    I have a customer that has a Coleman 18SEER 2 Stage 3Ton heat pump. The issue that I am having with the unit is that it wouldn't defrost the bottom 1/4 of the coil. The unit is sitting up on a snow stand that is 18" off the ground. I have weighed the charge out and re-weighed the correct charge back into the system. I have switched the defrost board on it. I have checked the defrost sensor to see if it was out of range (ohms out fine). What I notice when I was there last time was that the top part of the coil would heat up to 110F and the bottom part had a hard time getting up to 80F after 10mins in defrost. Has anyone had defrost issues with the Coleman or York 18SEER units?? Also I have check the reversing valve to see if it was leaking by and there is only a 1F difference between in and out on the suction side in heating and defrost mode.
    I remember reading a post from Mr. DigiCool that this problem ( with UPG equipment) is common in your area. I would contact Coleman....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Thanks for all the replies. I called tech support and the guy I was talking to said I should check the charge. So What I ended up doing was adding some more gas to the system to get the discharge temperature up around 170F in defrost mode. What I also did was speed the indoor fan up some. The reason for that was because I checked the speed on electric heat and it was low compare to the flashes I was getting on the board. Knock on wood haven't heard anything back yet.