Thread: Variable Speed

I had a tech come out on Monday to check my airhandler because i was hearing it humming noise even when the unit is off. He told me it was the transformer that is making the noise, and that was normal. My unit is a Trane XL14i with variable speed. The technician adjusted the speed in the airhandler and now my airhandler is running with high speed and noisy. Before this technician adjusted the speed my unit ran at vaiable speed starting out with very low speed to meduim speed and low speed. Now i can hear my air hanlder all the time running. In the past the operation was very quite most of the time. I think i will call the company to restore the airhandler to the dafault setting when the equipment was installed. This unit was installed in March 2006.

CITY

Mdl XL14i with var speed air handler should be set up to Trane's Comfort-R settings for best dehumidification.

Can't understand why a tech would want to bypass the var spd blower-something you paid extra for.

And with a new unit like yours, transformer should be replaced.

IMO

you can easily take off the service panel and set the dip switches yourself, no need to call anyone

here's the page from manual

link: http://i3.tinypic.com/wk2wlh.jpg

t3,

You just went against the site rules.

You should go back and read what you failed to read the first time you were in a hurry to sign up.

No DIY,
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

I acually have this informtion on my manual, i do not understand all this technical stuff, so i will call the HVAC comapany that did my instal to replace the transformer. The noise coming from the transformer is not normal. I had the opportunity to compare a neighbors unit, same model, but no noise

Lots and lots of transformers will make a humming noise, wether it is on a new unit or old does not seem to matter. As it is under warranty it is no big deal to have it changed. It is operating "normally" but the humming can be annoying I agree.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Are you suggesting that i keep the original transformer? I can hear this transformer humm upstairs at night when the unit is off. It is pretty strange that my neighbors is pretty quite, same unit, same model.

city

get the transformer changed out. you have new system and did not pay for a buzzing noise.

Yes, if you can read, it is easy to make the correct settings to the var speed features. But since system is new and under warranty, I think this should be responsibilty of installing dealer.

My opinion.

Originally posted by tigerdunes
    city

get the transformer changed out. you have new system and did not pay for a buzzing noise.

So youor saying they should have charged him more for the buzzing transformer?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It may not be the transformer.