Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Def. much cheaper to use that than to go to the supply house for a 1 foot piece, especially if You're running behind schedule or have a boss that yells at you for taking too much time on a job.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTECHND View Post
    Whats the point of the trap on the evaporator, its on the positive side of the blower. Around this area they are never trapped on the positive side.
    In new jersey some township requires a trap on a upflow. I tried to talk to the inspector and got no where and said no problem, give me 5 min. I failed my inspection cause of it, so now everthing get a trap.
    But i would not put it in front of the service door.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    the control wire looks like sh!t. i.m.o of course. I'm not a fan of wrapping it to resemble a phone chord

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
    Maybe it is a phone cord.

Quote Originally Posted by cody350 View Post
    is that furnace powered with an extension cord?

that can't be right
    Saves a switch and/or a separate breaker. I like cap cord for some things like going from some controllers (solar ones from Europe, for example) to small pumps. As long as it is near and tidy.

Well with that furnace, that door goes up and pulls down, so the trap isn't really in the way. But still it would have looked better on the side. And even though its on the positive side of the blower, depending on the maker, traps can still be required.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

The venting is the least of its problems.

It is illegal here to use an appliance connector on the gas line to a furnace.

All furnaces must have an emergency cut off switch between the furnace and an exit, and they must be on their own circuit. A plug would not cut it.

I would never telephone the low voltage wire outside the cabinet, it looks terrible.

I thought the purpose of a tee on the evaporator condensate was to indicate when the line is blocked, so the condensate runs on the floor. Having the short nipple out the top and terminating above the flood level rim of the evaporator pan defeats the purpose. The pan would be running over into the furnace before anyone knew.

The venting should have gone into its own base tee, not the bottom of the hwt tee, so that the chimney could be inspected.

We use return air elbows, not square duct with cut in collars for the filter rack.
    They will soon forget how long it takes, but they will always remember the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican3 View Post
    The venting is the least of its problems.

It is illegal here to use an appliance connector on the gas line to a furnace.
    Not here, or there it's not.

All furnaces must have an emergency cut off switch between the furnace and an exit, and they must be on their own circuit. A plug would not cut it.
    A cord into an outlet is designated as a shutoff in the US, plus as state earlier, is code in specific areas.

I would never telephone the low voltage wire outside the cabinet, it looks terrible.
    Ditto there.

I thought the purpose of a tee on the evaporator condensate was to indicate when the line is blocked, so the condensate runs on the floor. Having the short nipple out the top and terminating above the flood level rim of the evaporator pan defeats the purpose. The pan would be running over into the furnace before anyone knew.
    It's called a vent. The purpose is a vacuum breaker.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Im surprised no one brought up that the condensate overflow cutoff switch wiring is just hanging down. Being that the pigtail, gas flex connector and low voltage wiring not needing to be inside a conduit are all acceptable and within code here in cali, Id say thats a fine install other than the flue strap and overflow being installed and not wired. Lash away gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTECHND View Post
    Whats the point of the trap on the evaporator, its on the positive side of the blower. Around this area they are never trapped on the positive side.
    It's so you don't pay for conditioned air to be blown out your drain. The trap keeps the air in the duct work, same reason you seal the duct connections.

Whats a 45 egree?

When I went to work for the gas co here I noticed that on a lot of their installs that they would use so cord and a plug for the furnace. I also saw a power venter once that had about a 30 foot piece of so from a wall plug powering it.......lol It never shut off........lol

Anyhow... I can some poor slug using those elbows for straight pipe..... its expensive though... Id rather cut a 2 foot piece down or buy a 1 foot adjustable. But... it might have been all this guy had and he might have been under the gun to finish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12