+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not a fan

Post Likes

Not a fan

This is a pretty average retrofit job from our guys, I'm not a fan of the tru-steam, especially not this drain, how many more improvements can you guys recommend?

Post Likes
    Honestly, I don't think it's that bad, for what it appears they had to deal with.

Tell your guys they can't use BI ST 90's for gas piping, along with the gas line looking better without it to begin with.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    from a preference stand point i.m.o what would look nicer . . hard pipe the gas, run the control wire cleaner by getting rid of the telephone looking chord, straighten chimney, run the line set up the other side along with drain & tie in humidifier below

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Looks like everything is correct, but logistics are not well thought out. If possible I would have ran the lineset and drain on the left side for obvious reasons. If it weren't possible I would have done it much cleaner. I also would have put the furnace on a short basecan so the drains could run to the other side without blocking the doors or looking the way they presently do... Not the greatest install but certainly not the worst
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Post Likes
    A few criticisms I have on this one, the float switch won't work unless the drain clogs at transparent trap, humidifier could have been raised above coil, lineset could have been rerouted under raised floor to come up on left side, elliminating a few bends. Interesting point on st. 90, HVACVEGAS, you say these can't be used in gas pipe? I haven't heard that, but could see why due to reduced ID. Is that in the fuel gas code? I beleive the flex connector on the gas pipe is a requirement in our area, unions were outlawed for a few years aswell.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    A few criticisms I have on this one, the float switch won't work unless the drain clogs at transparent trap, humidifier could have been raised above coil, lineset could have been rerouted under raised floor to come up on left side, elliminating a few bends. Interesting point on st. 90, HVACVEGAS, you say these can't be used in gas pipe? I haven't heard that, but could see why due to reduced ID. Is that in the fuel gas code? I beleive the flex connector on the gas pipe is a requirement in our area, unions were outlawed for a few years aswell.
    It's not due to diameter of pipe.

A st 90 can't pass the stress test required for gas line, but it can for hydronics. St 90's are weaker by design.

Thus, it's on exactly spelled out in the code. The st 90 just doesn't meet the ashrae (or whatever) specs for gas line.

Or so I understand.

What I can tell you, is that there are certain circumstances that supercede this. One of which, is manufacturers requirements.

EX:
    Goodman specifically spells out what fittings + pipe to use to come out of the cabinet of a 90%. One of those fittings, happens to be a st 90.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    I like the TrueSTEAM. it uses a lot less water than most humidifiers do.

Post Likes
    Vegas is right. Same goes for bushings in gas pipe. Be careful. Putting company work on wall of shame is grounds for firing unless you are the owner.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    We have installed a few of the True Steams and have had nothing but trouble. Mostly do to installation issues. But other problems as well. The fill sensor has been recalled. Old is grey new ones are black. If it builds up too much press. it leaks via weeping holes next to fill tube on back of unit. You have to clean it regularly. The tanks fills with sediment and the heating coil and fill sensor needs to be cleaned with CLR. Too many parts to go bad. Not a fan.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Is that NFGC that you can't use st 90 on gas? Or something local for some of you guys?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Is that NFGC that you can't use st 90 on gas? Or something local for some of you guys?
    Can't use them in Ontario
    If every a...... could do this,I wouldn't have a job...

Post Likes
    That is news to me about the St 90's. I have been licensed for gas in 3 separate states since the mid 80's and I hadn't heard that before. I do know that unions are not allowed in certain spots of the installation, but are required in other parts of a gas installation.

Local codes vary greatly, but nothing that I am aware of under Uniform, International, or NFPA.

Not a bad looking install. A few minor problems, but nothing major.

It is hard for me to get over the installs in outside spaces. They would freeze in a heartbeat up here.

Post Likes
    How do you Guys not know your Local Gas Law (CodeBook) If you are working on gas?

Sorry just makes me mad when I come behind and gotta red tag the unit casue something is Illegal and the Customer is crying the blues.I was the last one to touch the equipment its my reasposiblity to make sure its up to code. The TSSA in Ontario would have a field day with you. I have No idea what it is like in the USA.

Post Likes
    The job does look pretty decent. I am very OCD so i would have done it different. For what had to be done I could tell that it probably works well just doesnt look that well.

i would have.
    -move tubing and drain to left side
    -insulate steam hose or move unit to left side plenum
    -cleanup control wiring
    -installed EIM module above anything with water
    -installed a 4" media cabinet under furnace
    -straighten flue pipe
    -hard piped gas line. some code mandates flex because of earthquakes. i dont know if Arizona does

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by #1CDNTECH View Post
    How do you Guys not know your Local Gas Law (CodeBook) If you are working on gas?

Sorry just makes me mad when I come behind and gotta red tag the unit casue something is Illegal and the Customer is crying the blues.I was the last one to touch the equipment its my reasposiblity to make sure its up to code. The TSSA in Ontario would have a field day with you. I have No idea what it is like in the USA.
    CDNTech. I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US, with local codes, national codes, state codes, and everything in between, it can be about as clear as mud. Our rules seem more often written by an attorney than a tradesman.

Many years ago, I served on the advisory board for one of the state governing agencies in our trade. It seemed that every month, we would have two or three agenda items related to interpretation of the code. The trade guys would read it and still not understand it. We would read it in the meeting and still not agree on what it meant. Thus the need for interpretive clarification.

I do and have done this everyday for my entire adult life. I have carried a Master Card for almost 20 years, and I still learn something new everyday.

Post Likes
    Why the p-trap on the "positive pressure" drain?? I never p-trap a furnace.

Also I thought the true steam humidifier was supposed to be on the supply side. Won't it rust up the hx being installed in the return??
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post

Also I thought the true steam humidifier was supposed to be on the supply side. Won't it rust up the hx being installed in the return??
    Some Towns require a trap on all condensate drains. I know if your in NJ it's code everywhere

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    This is just my way of doing things: I put the humidifier on the supply plenum unless it is absolutely not possible. Just my way.

Work looks nice, albeit as others said the routing of stuff is not as clean as it could be. OTOH; if we did every install as though it was the space shuttle... we would not have time to do any sales... <grin>

Your install looks as good (or maybe better) than most of mine... I tend to have too many wires and tubes running all over the place also. The customers like the fact my work rarely has any call-backs and runs without issues... I guess that is what matters.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post

If you look closer, you'll see that the humidifier is mounted on the return, but the steam dispersion tube runs to the supply plenum.

Also, some coils call for being trapped even when on the supply side. If the trap is full it won't be sending supply air out your drain.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You are correct... We do not do steam humidification much... prefer powered (fan driven) pad humidifiers.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in