Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That system is charged by sub-cooling in air conditioning mode. Sub-cooling requires a temperature measurement. If he did not use a thermometer, as well as the pressure gauges, he did it wrong.

You can also remove the entire charge and charge by weight, but he will have to start with an empty system to do it.

Sounds like your tech is not well enough trained.

Where are you located?
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Hi Cold55,

Pressure in an HVAC system is not the same as pressure in your car tires. With your tires you fill it to a determined PSI. In HVAC the reason it works is because we take the substance, Refrigerant, and change the pressure to suck up or displace heat.

Your outside unit is called a Condenser. It is called this because we have high temperature high pressure refrigerant in a vapor state. The condenser releases heat into the air and changes that high temperature high pressure vapor into a liquid. It is this change of state that allows us to remove as much heat as we do.

Your inside unit is called an evaporator. It is called this because we take low pressure low temperature liquid and suck heat from your house into it and vaporize the liquid refrigerant. Again the change in state from liquid to vapor is what allows us to remove so much heat from the air in your house.

When your filter is dirty. The air cannot flow across your evaporator enough to heat that liquid into a vapor state. When properly used, we hook up our gauges and take temperature reading and use mathematical equations to find what is called superheat and Sub-cooling. Superheat and sub-cooling is a temperature difference used to determine how the refrigeration has changed state inside the coil.

Because the temperature and pressure will change due to outside effects we have to know how to use these numbers to find the problem.

Just because you have a low/high pressure on a gauge does not mean you need less/more refrigerant. The pressure reading alone tells the technician nothing more then something could be wrong. By itself, it will never tell you everything is okay.

What that technician did at your home. Was connect to your unit and pumped refrigerant into your system until it stopped freezing.

Your unit is over charged. On a R-22 system in under 60° weather, you should only charge based off OEM weighed in specs.

I am sorry Cold55 you need to call that company back and get a manager on the phone.

Remember when you do so, managers cannot be watching every technician every moment and can't read every work order ticket that comes in. Most likely the manager has no idea what has happened here. Remember that even in a good company, 20% of the employees are under achievers. Tell the manager you have gotten advice from veteran professional and they have raised all sorts of red flags. Tell him they say his tech. did a "beer can cool" refrigerant charge and you want a full refund and a more experienced tech to come to your house. With this refund, remember that there may still be a problem and it may cost more to fix then the bad charge did. Remember that it may have been low on refrigerant the tech just did not charging it right.

Before you get mad give the company time to fix the mistake. You may find, if they are an honest company, that they will jump through hoops to make amends, but if you come off yelling and screaming they will surely become defensive from the start.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by cold55 View Post
    I didn't see a thermometer. He hooked the gauges up and said it was low so he pumped refrigerant until the reading reached a certain level..

Was this the guy?

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

HAHAHAHA!!!
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    Here is an old fashioned "low tech" method.

Place it in a register that is easy and safe to access. Then start monitoring your temps. When the temps aren't what they used to be something is needing attention.

Its a Greenspeed, it varies its capacity, so it could maintain a temp varying the indoor blower speed and compressor speed, and still not be charged right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Was this the guy?

That's who works on my unit.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    That's who works on my unit.
    Who Al? the mule or the man?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Don't mock Twilly on Sunday
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its a Greenspeed, it varies its capacity, so it could maintain a temp varying the indoor blower speed and compressor speed, and still not be charged right.
    Yes, I guess it could. Not familiar with that unit. Thanks.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Energy efficient and economical to operate are not synonyms
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Was this the guy?

It looks like Twilly has decided to up his "trip charges".

He can also now offer free weed removal......contiguous to unit only!
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Energy efficient and economical to operate are not synonyms
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Cold55, in my professional opinion and probably that of many others on here, when I add refrigerant to a system you as the homeowner shouldn't have to ask me the check the refrigerant level. I should make the recommendation(if its an older system) that it needs done or if I add a lot to the system or its a new install then I do it automatically. Your comfort is our #1 priority.

Was this the guy?

he fixed my unit last week and it still doesnt work but my grass looks great

Who Al? the mule or the man?
    There is a difference?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast