Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    R12, what are you doing for work? are you still in Austin area? We at Fox Service Copmpany could use a man with integrity.

Originally posted by hudson73
    Is this what I have to look foward to?
    depends on your career path.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I can relate to going to work without really knowing what I was getting paid. One company I went to work for when I was starting out said they wanted to see what I could do so I worked a few days on a comercial building putting in the underground ducting without a set price I was being paid. Now after about three days I told him I needed to know what I was getting paid. When he told me I was shocked, I told him I wouldnt be able to work for that amount. He just shrugged and walked off. The forman of the job from our shop walked over and asked what was up, I told him what the boss said he was going to pay and that there was no way I was working for that . He asked how much I want and I told him, he told me hang on , let him talk to him. He went over and had a chat with the boss. He came back and said you got it.

Now from that experiance I can see where this can happen. I really dont have an answer to how you avoid it unless you throw out an amount that is the least you will work for and the boss is honest enough to tell you up front wether he is even willing to pay in that price range if you prove you are worth it. Now as far as the little residental, small comercial mom an pop shop, I dont think most of them will pay a wage that a comercial tinner is going to expect. Now im saying tinner being that the type work you mentioned but as far as a service tech I cant see why they could pay it but Im guessing this might be a shop thats just not doing enough or charging enough to pay those rates... who knows he may just be a cheap A$$

Im just guessing there is more to this then meets the eye........doesnt add up keeping the tools unless he is talking the welder. That owner would know thats going to cut his throat if he did. doesnt add up

[Edited by dec on 04-26-2006 at 10:42 PM]

R12, all due respect, I've been on this board going three years now, and you seem to go through more jobs than a Hummer does gasoline.

Maybe it's nothing more than a bad string of employers. Something in the water in the Austin area? Or maybe it's something else...

You're a man of faith...maybe God's tryin' to tell you somethin'?

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by pabull
    Originally posted by R12rules
    the employer gets an attitude about you, he orders you off his property. He refuses to give you justly due wages. He seizes your entire tool and personal property inside the van.
    He refuses to negotiate during phone conversations or in person visits to his office.

Now ... what would you do?
    R12, I know you are a man of God. All kidding aside. I would go to his office and introduce your foot to his ass. JMHO...
    I toold many people that the reason the Hatfield & McKoys began their fued was due to the same type of stuff going on way back then!
    There needs to be guidelines, paradigms in order to set us apart as "Civilized" versus like animals.
    But few had much to say other than to hire a lawyer.

Originally posted by hudson73
    Is this what I have to look foward to?
    Hudson, no ... this is NOT the norm in our industry!

And that is part of the reason I poisted it here. This is EXTREMLY abnormal!!!

We need to all be guarded against this type of shop owner.

This is a warning on how NOT to run a business.

Originally posted by heavenlyair
    r-12 is this a mom and pop company.
    Heavy, Yes, this is a small operation. Five trucks plus the owner who runs around with a cell phone in his ear and a pick up truck with a few tools in the back side.

No brick and mortar. No shop. Nothing like a regular outfit would have.

Originally posted by davenet
    R12, what are you doing for work? are you still in Austin area? We at Fox Service Copmpany could use a man with integrity.
    Dave, I applied at Fox via Hvac-Agent. No responce.

I worked for Charlie Hard a few years ago. I was in Div 7, Special Services.

No training, no support from the supervisor.
    My hours dropped from fifty the first week to forty five then forty then continued to decline until I ended up sitting in the van for eight hours a day and working two or three.

Eighteen hours a week after December was NOT my idea of "making a living" in the trade.

Walter Bishop told me he'd look into the matter and straighten things out.

He told me the training came via the other men on the crew, "if they liked me"... and they wished to share what they knew about the special equipment we were working on.

Hot dog grills, coffee grinders, coffee makers, cappochino machines, Slurpee machines, post-mix, etc.

Heck, the ice makers, A/C systems and walk in units at the 7-11's were a piece of cake.

I loved it there. I just couldnt support a family on eighteen hours a week.

I regretted ever leaving. But it was NOT my choice to do so.

Originally posted by dec
    I'm guessing this might be a shop thats just not doing enough or charging enough to pay those rates... who knows he may just be a cheap A$$

Im just guessing there is more to this then meets the eye........doesnt add up keeping the tools unless he is talking the welder. That owner would know thats going to cut his throat if he did. doesnt add up

[Edited by dec on 04-26-2006 at 10:42 PM]
    He is claiming I owe him for the welder, etc.
    He is claiming I have nothing due me in past wages, but for what he already gave me weeks ago.
    He is withholding two weeks pay plus back wages for what he should have paid me when I asked for X amount per hour, on the writen application.

I am a person who is in it for the long haul.

When there is a mis-understanding ... let's talk it out so we come to an agreement that works for the both of us.
    But let's NOT get into an arguement/ shouting match/ fight over it.
    Let's NOT begin making threats and slandering one another.

But some folks simply do NOT feel the same way I do.

Originally posted by shophound
    R12, all due respect, I've been on this board going three years now, and you seem to go through more jobs than a Hummer does gasoline.

Maybe it's nothing more than a bad string of employers. Something in the water in the Austin area? Or maybe it's something else...

You're a man of faith...maybe God's tryin' to tell you somethin'?

Shophound, I agree with you 100%!!!

I have been thru a number of differing types of experiences in this industry. And THAT alone has made me a better individual in many ways.
    I am flexible, adaptable and honestly trying to do whatever is required.
    But since I am only human, I do often times make mistakes.
    I learn from those mistakes and try to move forward. However, not everyone is willing to let you forget what you did wrong.

R12, I don’t know you at all, but in my opinion you have some issues to deal with, you sound like one of those guys that blame everyone else for their mistake and refuse to take responsibilities for their actions, I’ve read some of your latest post, the last one where you bashed the engineer, remember? You got into a pissing contest with the guy about a compressor, well, I had the feeling your days were counted after that.
    Shop owners, foreman’s, service managers etc, don’t like or need a guy that cant keep his mouth shut, I’m incharge of an small crew, I don’t need my guys telling me stories or giving me excuses or pretending to be smart, I don’t care how much you know or how many trades years you got, just go there get the job done, admit your mistakes, ask for advise when needed, make the customer happy, and never talk crap about the company behind our back.

dont worry R12 jobs are dime a dozen here in fla and if you need an invite here it is.... i'm in a simalar postition right now looking for a job starting monday
    but the story i have to tell is just as exciting
    but i dont want to hi-jack your thread
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

Go to the Federal Labor Board and see if they will help.
    Tell them he is withholding your money and owes you overtime.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast