Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    the employer gets an attitude about you, he orders you off his property. He refuses to give you justly due wages. He seizes your entire tool and personal property inside the van.
    He refuses to negotiate during phone conversations or in person visits to his office.

The state labor office wont get involved. The sherrif wont do a thing.
    The Marshal's office is no use.
    The attorney you were referred to wont even return your phone calls.

It gets worse, but I dont want this to be a long post.

Now ... what would you do?

File a police report saying he stole your tools and take him to small claims court.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

just curious...

what the heck did you do?

[Edited by 1972torino on 04-25-2006 at 04:26 PM]
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

R12, lay it out there and tell us what happened.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

time to fight.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Join the Union, that will never happen to you.

HUMMMM ... ya I would think there is more to the story then your telling us. Why did he turn that way ? I only had it happen with one employee that it turned ugly. Looking back at it I guess I should have just blew it off at the begining and given him his tools and droped it. Main thing was I had paid for all the tools at that time and all he really owned was the pouch and belt. Now he had gotten an advance just before that being he hadnt put anything away and being he was having girl problems he asked for the advance. Ok no problem but next thing I know he is moving and Im out of advance and he wants his tool...... thats my tools. Well after argueing a couple times when he showed up, he promised to pay me back later. I knew it was a no win situation so I gave him the tools and never saw him again. IT was just a few pair of snips, hammer, dividers hand tongs ,maybe a few other things. Back them maybe $100 or so. Now if it had been a service man with meters and such that would have been a differant story. That was the last of ever supplying hand tools.

Only thing is when it turns ugly there is always a reason. I dont think most owners would make things ugly unless they had a good reason. I would be afraid of doing anything illegal in as far as keeping tools that belonged to an employee quiting. I know some bosses may be an ass if an employee was quiting and taking customers with him but being I had never had that happen ,Im not one to coment on that one.

OK TELL US .....WHAT DID YOU DO TO PISS HIM OFF ???????

[Edited by dec on 04-25-2006 at 11:12 PM]

Originally posted by daytonafan
    Join the Union, that will never happen to you.
    true...but neither here nor there.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I didnt want this to get into a "vent" right away ... I have pretty much remained calm. Most of the time anyway.

Ya see, I have had "Bigger Fish to Fry" right now than to worry over what some guy said or did to me.

My wife is seriously ill. She was recently released from the hospital.
    During the time she was in, it was my son's birthday. And let me tell you this ... birthdays for this guy are special to him!
    Even though he's no longer "a kid", he doesnt let anyone forget when his big day is comming.

So on that big day, I'm five hundred miles away, there's 4 tornado's touching down IN TOWN and his step mom is in the hospital!
    And THAT is the day my employer chooses to fire me, seize my tools as well as all personal items in and on the van AND send me walking ... down a country road ... out in the middle of NO-WHERE!

oh ... and did I mention .... he withheld all monies owed me.

So .... as you can imagine ... I had other things on my mind the day he fired me.

You ask what reason(s) he gave for letting me go.

Well ... he called me every name in the book, except a White Man!
    Anything and everything he could have said to me ... he said it ALL!!!
    And I just sat there.

When I work for anyone, I look for the long haul, not just the moment.
    I like to stay long term. However ... not everyone else feels this way so when things get difficult, they make changes flippantly.
    And often times an employer will make stupid decisions.

This was such an employer.

He hires people he can manipulate and hold underneath his thumb.
    Who told me this? A staff member of the State Representative's office.
    I'm not a psychiatrist, but this guy could sure use one!!!

He makes every other employer I have ever had ... look like a boy scout by comparison.

a few weeks ago, about a week or so into the new assignment, I was ordered to make repairs to a steel door at a restaurant in Monroe.
    This was a crucial part of the business's security.

It had failed and been "fixed" four times previous the past twelve months. FOUR TIMES!!!

I told the boss I could fix it, but I wouldnt do a jerry-rig job on it. If I was given the assignment, "it would withstand a direct frontal assault"

I told him I would need to purchase a small wire feed welder. It could come out of my paycheck in payroll deductions, plural.
    He replied that I would NOT need to be responsible for re-imbursement for the equipment needed for this project.

I had 20 hours into the purchase of steel, the welder, the clamps, the drive time to and from plus the actual work performed on site. This was over a two day period and included having to pull off and go run a couple of service calls out of the area.

I fixed that sucker better than new.
    She dont flex no more!

Co-workers saw and said it was a fine fix for what I had to work with.
    Three management personnell from the restaurant were pleased with the efforts I took on their behalf!

In the end, the boss was upset over the purchase of the supplies and equipment needed in order to facilitate this project.
    And then he ordered me to employ those very same tools & equipment on yet another project.
    This was was simply the repair of a fan motor bracket at another location.

And he told me ahead of time he already had ideas on how to make money by having a man with a wire feed welder on his truck.
    So it wasnt like this was a one time use of the supplies.

The total bill for supplies and materials came to $1200, he said.
    The welder itself was half. A Lincoln.
    Much of the balance could have been returned as un-used supplies: bolts, screws, anchors, etc.

I make enough money that I could have paid him thru payroll deductions, had he been willing to go that route.

Did he know I was going to spend his money on a wire feed welder, in advance of my doing so? Yes he did.
    He instructed me to check with Graingers BEFORE I was told to look elsewhere.
    Plus, he was swamped with calls. He is the type that when he is out of the office, he's got a cell phone stuck to the side of his face for hour after hour!
    So he's not exactely the easiest guy to have a sit down conversation with.

He said he wanted the project done and I told him I was the man to do it.
    I told him I was going to need a welder and did he have a preferance as to where to buy it. Grainger's was out of stock on their 135 Miller, 115 volt models.
    So I went to another account and picked it up there.

I told the boss I was willing and able to return most of the materials/ tools if he wanted that done.
    But no matter what he said to me, he never gave me the receipts back to facilitate such.
    So the welder rode in the back of my van, until such time as he ordered me to use it the next time, a few days later.

And a week after that, he grew ugly.

I'd be deleted my the MODS if I used the language or even the terms this guy said to me, prior to firing me on the 20th.

There's more.
    He never made clear his pay scale. I simply told the man, in writting, what I expected and went from there.
    He never paid me on the first scheduled pay day.
    And when the second pay day came around, I was yet not paid.

I started in March, the last Tuesday. I was never given anything until the tenth of THIS MONTH!

And when I figured out the hours I put in and the small amount of money he was giving me ... I was embarrassed to even be there!

Every single time I tried to sit down with him and discuss his methodology of firguring out how to pay me ... he avoided the subject like the plague!

He just said that "we need to sit down and talk about that".

I have NEVER had such a problem with an employer before!

After much ado, he phoned me early Monday morning. He wanted to have me return to work for him. He asked under what terms I would return.

I told him four-ten hour days, consecutive, no Sundays.
    $20 an hour.

Give me X amount for back wages and the welder in question and we'll call it even.

What he said in response was not repeatable in mixed company.

I'd been working the hours and schedule of a Market Man.

And let me say this ... I loved the area, the customers and even the work.
    And I was managing to maintain myself even though my age and the miles traveled were extreme.

Does the non-union sector seriously have to buy their own tools to do work for the COMPANY and make profits for the COMPANY?

Originally posted by R12rules
    the employer gets an attitude about you, he orders you off his property. He refuses to give you justly due wages. He seizes your entire tool and personal property inside the van.
    He refuses to negotiate during phone conversations or in person visits to his office.

The state labor office wont get involved. The sherrif wont do a thing.
    The Marshal's office is no use.
    The attorney you were referred to wont even return your phone calls.

It gets worse, but I dont want this to be a long post.

Now ... what would you do?
    R12, I know you are a man of God. All kidding aside. I would go to his office and introduce your foot to his ass. JMHO...
    In honor of Murray Woodgate (aka Carnak) 1961 - 2010

Question

Is this what I have to look foward to?

r-12 is this a mom and pop company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast