View Poll Results: Which brand(s) of ducted residential HVAC Equipment do you currently carry

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Standard

15 18.07%
  • Bryant

9 10.84%
  • Carrier

23 27.71%
  • Goodman/Amana

20 24.10%
  • ICP (Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire)

13 15.66%
  • Lennox

19 22.89%
  • Nordyne (Maytag, Frigidaire, Tappan, Westinghouse)

10 12.05%
  • Rheem/Ruud

18 21.69%
  • Trane

22 26.51%
  • Whirlpool

1 1.20%
  • York

12 14.46%
  • Other

14 16.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
    I'm curious if you Bryant and Carrier dealers are selling the coils made by ADP "CE coils" with your main line equipment or are you going with the regular Bryant/Carrier branded coils?

I have been installing the Tempstar coils and since they've gone to the tin coated coils the leaks don't seem to be an issue, but I've also heard that Bryant/Carrier still has a lot of problems.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Thumbs up

Goodman. I put in the GMV or the GMVC95 with a 14 seer or up. If I have any problems, its covered for 10 years. If the compressor fails, its covered for life. Seems to me if you just set it up right and throw a good filter on it, it will run for a long time. I started 5 years ago, before that I was trained by my father, and we do not have any problems out of the ordinary. I have had one bad compressor in five years, and I am still waiting to change an ignitor on any unit I have put in. Biggest problem was the capilary lines on the coil, but if you take a couple minutes to keep em tight, it seems to help a lot. I would like to see them have the sleeves over them. I think that is what York does. Now all of my customers enjoys slashing the bill by on average a 1/3 and have a unit that would otherwise cost quite a bit more.

we've been doing Carrier branded coils with all of our equipment even on replacements

Quote Originally Posted by rufus819 View Post
    we've been doing Carrier branded coils with all of our equipment even on replacements
    It's all a matter of timing. I remember when I was a Carrier dealer and we would only use Superior coils on Carrier systems.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

It all depends on our purchasing and sales dept. Our company's been a carrier dealer for 20+ years and I can't see them changing away from it any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by the editor View Post
    Would you guys mind answering this poll? I'm doing some off-the-cuff research on the brands that HVAC-Talk.com members carry in their businesses.
    sale whirlpool

I really can't get over the amount of leaking coils I've had to replace in the past month on carrier systems, i've had a few lennox's and one unico but atleast 5 carriers in the past month. For company that has had such a good name for themselves for so long between replacing coils lately and HX's this winter on the furnaces I'm starting to lose faith in carriers quality. just about every one of them has been a warranty job so even more so with their newer equipment

TRANE!

We sell ANY BRAND the customer wants...if they ask...if they don't...Lennox, Goodman, Trane

Big fan of "Carrier" here.

(ICP) Arcoaire for moderate pricing
    Goodman on the cheaper side but getting away from Goodman
    Id like to get into some more expensive brands when people get more money to pay me

I am a Goodman/Amana dealer... Lets get that disclaimer out there, right away.

On the residential side, R-410a is taking over. I give it another year or two before R-22 equipment is dropped altogether.

That being said, Emerson/Copeland is dominating the R-410a market. I cannot think of one manufacturer, as of 2012, that does not use Emerson/Copeland internals.

You have the Copeland compressor, Emerson control boards, Emerson comfort net thermostats, Emerson TXV. Even Trane uses a compressor manufactured by Copeland, in a factory/plant owned in a joint venture between Trane and Copeland.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is this.

A manufacturer could be cheap with Al/Cu, have a poor QA/QC process, or be cheap with motors, caps, brazing... ETC. BUT, for the most part, other than the sheet metal exterior and a logo, an R-410a residential split system manufactured in 2012, is mostly the same, across the board.

What makes a difference, IN MY OPINION, is the quality of the installing technician/contractor AND the WARRANTY offered by the manufacturer.

Goodman/Amana pricing in the Houston area, is amazing.
    The Goodman/Amana warranty is amazing.

Goodman/Amana also have their GoodCare agreements, that can bump the non-transferable 10 year parts warranty (if the home owner sells their home, the Goodman 10 yr warranty drops to 5 years for the new home owner), to a transferable 10 year parts and labor warranty, for almost nothing.

So, I may be a little biased being a Goodman/Amana dealer but I feel that Goodman/Amana has the best value by far, out of anyone else in the industry.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by atoreson View Post
    I am a Goodman/Amana dealer... Lets get that disclaimer out there, right away.

On the residential side, R-410a is taking over. I give it another year or two before R-22 equipment is dropped altogether.

That being said, Emerson/Copeland is dominating the R-410a market. I cannot think of one manufacturer, as of 2012, that does not use Emerson/Copeland internals.

You have the Copeland compressor, Emerson control boards, Emerson comfort net thermostats, Emerson TXV. Even Trane uses a compressor manufactured by Copeland, in a factory/plant owned in a joint venture between Trane and Copeland.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is this.

A manufacturer could be cheap with Al/Cu, have a poor QA/QC process, or be cheap with motors, caps, brazing... ETC. BUT, for the most part, other than the sheet metal exterior and a logo, an R-410a residential split system manufactured in 2012, is mostly the same, across the board.

What makes a difference, IN MY OPINION, is the quality of the installing technician/contractor AND the WARRANTY offered by the manufacturer.

Goodman/Amana pricing in the Houston area, is amazing.
    The Goodman/Amana warranty is amazing.

Goodman/Amana also have their GoodCare agreements, that can bump the non-transferable 10 year parts warranty (if the home owner sells their home, the Goodman 10 yr warranty drops to 5 years for the new home owner), to a transferable 10 year parts and labor warranty, for almost nothing.

So, I may be a little biased being a Goodman/Amana dealer but I feel that Goodman/Amana has the best value by far, out of anyone else in the industry.

Tony
    I'll agree to a point. The diff between a/c units is minimal especially your 'standard' models unless you start getting into the tinsel fin condensors. I handled Amana solely when part of Raytheon until they began being sold and cheapened.

I find far more differences in reliability and quality of heating equipment vs air conditioning.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast