View Poll Results: Which brand(s) of ducted residential HVAC Equipment do you currently carry

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Standard

15 18.07%
  • Bryant

9 10.84%
  • Carrier

23 27.71%
  • Goodman/Amana

20 24.10%
  • ICP (Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire)

13 15.66%
  • Lennox

19 22.89%
  • Nordyne (Maytag, Frigidaire, Tappan, Westinghouse)

10 12.05%
  • Rheem/Ruud

18 21.69%
  • Trane

22 26.51%
  • Whirlpool

1 1.20%
  • York

12 14.46%
  • Other

14 16.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Curiosity Question On Brands You Carry

Post Likes
    we've been doing Carrier branded coils with all of our equipment even on replacements

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus819 View Post
    we've been doing Carrier branded coils with all of our equipment even on replacements
    It's all a matter of timing. I remember when I was a Carrier dealer and we would only use Superior coils on Carrier systems.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    It all depends on our purchasing and sales dept. Our company's been a carrier dealer for 20+ years and I can't see them changing away from it any time soon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the editor View Post
    Would you guys mind answering this poll? I'm doing some off-the-cuff research on the brands that HVAC-Talk.com members carry in their businesses.
    sale whirlpool

Post Likes
    I really can't get over the amount of leaking coils I've had to replace in the past month on carrier systems, i've had a few lennox's and one unico but atleast 5 carriers in the past month. For company that has had such a good name for themselves for so long between replacing coils lately and HX's this winter on the furnaces I'm starting to lose faith in carriers quality. just about every one of them has been a warranty job so even more so with their newer equipment

Post Likes
    TRANE!

Post Likes
    We sell ANY BRAND the customer wants...if they ask...if they don't...Lennox, Goodman, Trane

Post Likes
    Big fan of "Carrier" here.

Post Likes
    (ICP) Arcoaire for moderate pricing
    Goodman on the cheaper side but getting away from Goodman
    Id like to get into some more expensive brands when people get more money to pay me

Post Likes
    I am a Goodman/Amana dealer... Lets get that disclaimer out there, right away.

On the residential side, R-410a is taking over. I give it another year or two before R-22 equipment is dropped altogether.

That being said, Emerson/Copeland is dominating the R-410a market. I cannot think of one manufacturer, as of 2012, that does not use Emerson/Copeland internals.

You have the Copeland compressor, Emerson control boards, Emerson comfort net thermostats, Emerson TXV. Even Trane uses a compressor manufactured by Copeland, in a factory/plant owned in a joint venture between Trane and Copeland.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is this.

A manufacturer could be cheap with Al/Cu, have a poor QA/QC process, or be cheap with motors, caps, brazing... ETC. BUT, for the most part, other than the sheet metal exterior and a logo, an R-410a residential split system manufactured in 2012, is mostly the same, across the board.

What makes a difference, IN MY OPINION, is the quality of the installing technician/contractor AND the WARRANTY offered by the manufacturer.

Goodman/Amana pricing in the Houston area, is amazing.
    The Goodman/Amana warranty is amazing.

Goodman/Amana also have their GoodCare agreements, that can bump the non-transferable 10 year parts warranty (if the home owner sells their home, the Goodman 10 yr warranty drops to 5 years for the new home owner), to a transferable 10 year parts and labor warranty, for almost nothing.

So, I may be a little biased being a Goodman/Amana dealer but I feel that Goodman/Amana has the best value by far, out of anyone else in the industry.

Tony

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by atoreson View Post
    I am a Goodman/Amana dealer... Lets get that disclaimer out there, right away.

On the residential side, R-410a is taking over. I give it another year or two before R-22 equipment is dropped altogether.

That being said, Emerson/Copeland is dominating the R-410a market. I cannot think of one manufacturer, as of 2012, that does not use Emerson/Copeland internals.

You have the Copeland compressor, Emerson control boards, Emerson comfort net thermostats, Emerson TXV. Even Trane uses a compressor manufactured by Copeland, in a factory/plant owned in a joint venture between Trane and Copeland.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is this.

A manufacturer could be cheap with Al/Cu, have a poor QA/QC process, or be cheap with motors, caps, brazing... ETC. BUT, for the most part, other than the sheet metal exterior and a logo, an R-410a residential split system manufactured in 2012, is mostly the same, across the board.

What makes a difference, IN MY OPINION, is the quality of the installing technician/contractor AND the WARRANTY offered by the manufacturer.

Goodman/Amana pricing in the Houston area, is amazing.
    The Goodman/Amana warranty is amazing.

Goodman/Amana also have their GoodCare agreements, that can bump the non-transferable 10 year parts warranty (if the home owner sells their home, the Goodman 10 yr warranty drops to 5 years for the new home owner), to a transferable 10 year parts and labor warranty, for almost nothing.

So, I may be a little biased being a Goodman/Amana dealer but I feel that Goodman/Amana has the best value by far, out of anyone else in the industry.

Tony
    I'll agree to a point. The diff between a/c units is minimal especially your 'standard' models unless you start getting into the tinsel fin condensors. I handled Amana solely when part of Raytheon until they began being sold and cheapened.

I find far more differences in reliability and quality of heating equipment vs air conditioning.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    I'll agree to a point. The diff between a/c units is minimal especially your 'standard' models unless you start getting into the tinsel fin condensors. I handled Amana solely when part of Raytheon until they began being sold and cheapened.

I find far more differences in reliability and quality of heating equipment vs air conditioning.
    Yes, the AC side is, for the most part, standardized. With furnaces, however, other than an Emerson control board, manufactures have a little more liberty to design and manufacture them as they see fit.

I will also concede that Goodman/Amana probably wouldn't win any best of the best competition.

I see it more of as a value based question.

You can have 95% of the functionality, at 30% of the cost. To go that extra 5%, you double or triple your cost and I cannot recommend that for your average user.

Corvette vs Ferrari.

Furthermore, Amana/Goodmans new 96% modulating furnaces are very nice and they are covered by an equally nice warranty.

The heat exchangers are warranted for the original owners lifetime and everything else is warranted for 10 years (non transferable). For a little extra, you can bump that up to a transferable 10 year parts and 10 year labor.

That is, however, just my two cents.

Tony

Post Likes
    Goodman only here also. Pricing is great and never ever ever have I had one problem with a warranty part. Not that I have had to do many at all. Filters are all Emerson valves are just better. Some Parker stuff but mainly service valves and comm. valve stuff. But honestly parts brands are a smorgasbord in the two trucks.

Post Likes
    I sold Goodman for a few years..... I am quite relieved i do not sell it any more....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    I sold Goodman for a few years..... I am quite relieved i do not sell it any more....
    I have never had a problem with them at all and they have come a long way, even in the past 2 to 3 years.

You cannot beat the 10 year warranty and the price is right.

Their Amana line is a little nicer and the warranty work is a lot easier. If a compressor goes on a condensing unit, you do not have to pull the compressor. They replace the whole unit with a new one.

Just in the past year with the draw down of R-22 equipment, all residential A/C equipment is 95% the same.

That is, just my two cents though.

Tony

Post Likes
    Goodman and Amana

woodbury - You do not have permission to advertise your business. You must become a Pro Member first.

Thank you,

Mod Team
    Last edited by Special-K; 09-17-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Remove link to business

Post Likes
    I though you couldn't get R22 as a whole system anymore. the company I work won't install R22.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calubeda View Post
    I though you couldn't get R22 as a whole system anymore. the company I work won't install R22.
    You are correct. R22 condensing units are basically a part replacement and if you replace a coil for a R22 system you actually buy a R410 coil and convert it to R22 by changing the metering device.

Unfortunately, your company is losing out on making money and having a potential future customer for a new system using whatever refrigerant we will be using in the future by not installing R22 dry units for consumers who want them.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by atoreson View Post
    I have never had a problem with them at all and they have come a long way, even in the past 2 to 3 years.

You cannot beat the 10 year warranty and the price is right.

Their Amana line is a little nicer and the warranty work is a lot easier. If a compressor goes on a condensing unit, you do not have to pull the compressor. They replace the whole unit with a new one.

Just in the past year with the draw down of R-22 equipment, all residential A/C equipment is 95% the same.

That is, just my two cents though.

Tony
    We see a lot of Goodman, and I think they get a bit of a bad rap. The manufacturing does not seem as solid and they don't seem to last as long. But then again, that could be good for business (just kidding)...

Post Likes
    I don't own a company but if I did I wouldn't deal goodman mainly because of its availability for anyone to get. Home owners can get on the internet and find the exact model you just bid to install and then question your pricing or ask if they order the equipment how much to install. Just a road I wouldn't always want to go down. Cheap equipment attracts cheap customers. Maybe I'm wrong though, just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in