View Poll Results: Which brand(s) of ducted residential HVAC Equipment do you currently carry

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Standard

15 18.07%
  • Bryant

9 10.84%
  • Carrier

23 27.71%
  • Goodman/Amana

20 24.10%
  • ICP (Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire)

13 15.66%
  • Lennox

19 22.89%
  • Nordyne (Maytag, Frigidaire, Tappan, Westinghouse)

10 12.05%
  • Rheem/Ruud

18 21.69%
  • Trane

22 26.51%
  • Whirlpool

1 1.20%
  • York

12 14.46%
  • Other

14 16.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Curiosity Question On Brands You Carry

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.hvac View Post
    thanks, and you are correct. You can't get the extended warranty and register the unit in that case. with some condensers you get a 5 year warranty, but if it has a rheem coil and you register it, the warranty gets extended to 10 years. Even if it is carried by a Rheem supply house, 3rd party coils are no good.

But unfortunetly with Rheem value units, we have no choice but to use the 3rd party coil to get the proper ahri rating for rebates. We still give a 10 year warranty but just cover the warranty out of pocket if they don't qualify. Extending the warranty in house shows you believe in your product, and the customer gets a higher seer for a cheaper price. we can count on one hand the compressors we replaced out of pocket, and other AC repairs aren't a big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    If you ever have an issue with any Rheem product that requires a Rheem Manufacturing rep to get involved, no warranty will be valid unless all AHRI required components are manufactured by Rheem.

If you need higher efficiency ratings, it is best to either stick with Rheem only systems or go with a brand of equipment that allows the 3rd party coil applications.

Personally, I would stop selling based on efficiency "ratings". Many times, in order to get the higher "rating", you have to compromise the sizing of the equipment being used. Of the many ways to size system equipment, efficiency "rating" requirements is about the worst.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    We were told the contrary by our distributor and calling Rheem themselves. As long as it is an AHRI match, they'll give the 10 year parts. Since the N coil is murder to uncase, we use ADP for our uncased applications. Plus the N coil is a big leaker. Probably why Rheem's rating in Consumer Reports 2014 survey took a dive. I'm getting tired of techs find them leaking.

Robin, if you have something written about not getting 10 year parts with an ADP coil, please get it to me. Their website allows an outdoor unit only registration.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    If you ever have an issue with any Rheem product that requires a Rheem Manufacturing rep to get involved, no warranty will be valid unless all AHRI required components are manufactured by Rheem.

If you need higher efficiency ratings, it is best to either stick with Rheem only systems or go with a brand of equipment that allows the 3rd party coil applications.

Personally, I would stop selling based on efficiency "ratings". Many times, in order to get the higher "rating", you have to compromise the sizing of the equipment being used. Of the many ways to size system equipment, efficiency "rating" requirements is about the worst.
    That is not true, at least not in our area. We have had a rheem rep out a couple times for systems that were rheem condensers and furnaces with benchmark coils.

I agree with the rest of what you said, and if it were up to me I wouldn't sell it like that. But I get why they do it... the rheem value with an ADP coil is a pretty decent system at a very affordable price. And with a rebate on top of it, it's hard for many people to turn away, especially when they see that "high" seer number.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We were told the contrary by our distributor and calling Rheem themselves. As long as it is an AHRI match, they'll give the 10 year parts.

Robin, if you have something written about not getting 10 year parts with an ADP coil, please get it to me. Their website allows an outdoor unit only registration.
    We were always unable to get the 10 years on the rheem condenser with an ADP coil or condenser only, but we haven't tried registering one of those units in a little while. We Didn't know it changed and will check that out this Week. .. thanks for the info.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We were told the contrary by our distributor and calling Rheem themselves. As long as it is an AHRI match, they'll give the 10 year parts. Since the N coil is murder to uncase, we use ADP for our uncased applications. Plus the N coil is a big leaker. Probably why Rheem's rating in Consumer Reports 2014 survey took a dive. I'm getting tired of techs find them leaking.

I will check to see if they changed their policy. As of 16 months ago, components had to be AHRI matching and Rheem manufactured. On the distribution side, I got caught up with this issue with two different company's. All of the organizations giving rebates and other incentives for high efficient rated systems accept any AHRI mis-match, but not Rheem.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.hvac View Post
    We have 2 customers with GE units as well. Both are older people and hate replacing anything. They understand the benefits of upgrading but doubt they will anytime soon. Majority of the parts are still original, with the old style contactor and giant capacitors. Sad thing is if they replaced them, the newer unit probably wouldn't last half as long.
    I think it was the year before last we had to replace the old contactor and then went back out because the shielding on the compressor leads had degraded and made contact with the piping. Still, very impressive. Built like a tank, lol.

I would probably have to agree the newer equipment may not hold up quite as well, but who knows. The full metal jacket is thinner (and even thinner on the AS on at least some of the models), and the copper is thinner, but the spine-fin coil is probably close to equivalent.

I have a 14 SEER XL that is about 13 years old now, and I am not sure I will want to replace it. It is energy efficient and even though it is not that old, you can tell the difference in the way it is built with the new ones. I may just leave that in place and just deal with the problems as they arise.

Post Likes
    ICP (Heil) with an occasional Goodman or Nordyne.

Post Likes
    We are a premier Lennox dealer but when we have a customer that wants somthin slightly cheaper we will go with Armstrong or aire-flo

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech0421 View Post
    We are a premier Lennox dealer but when we have a customer that wants somthin slightly cheaper we will go with Armstrong or aire-flo
    That's pretty interesting since the Allied Air brands of Lennox International are usually more expensive to the distributors. I rep Armstrong and Concord and we cannot compete with Lennox in our area.

Since Lennox and Allied Air brands share so many parts and features and have the same basic technology, I figured that Lennox distributors just got better pricing to keep Lennox the premier brand. Lennox air handlers are manufactured in the Allied Air plant, Allied Air brand furnaces are manufactured in the Lennox plant, Allied Air air handlers are manufactured by ADP (another Lennox International company) and some of the condensers and heat pumps for all Lennox International brands are manufactured either at the Allied Air plant, a Lennox plant or at a plant in Mexico.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Not sure how it works out RoBo but that's what I've been told from our service manager

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech0421 View Post
    Not sure how it works out RoBo but that's what I've been told from our service manager
    Could be different in different areas of the country.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Goodman... would not have gone with them a few years back, but their quality has improved

Post Likes
    we are a York dealer 75 -100 rtu's annually we do put in carriers and an occasional Trane on spec,ed jobs , residential when we have to for ceo,s and the like york and rudd get the top end installs with good man in the off beat rental or one of there kids house when dads paying for it . 115 years 5 generations factory comes to watch us install. comp. warranty failure rate under .05 for life of units .best place i ever work ed i may never leave owner /boss is great, stands behind his products and in front of his men lol we have our customers trained right no 24hr sevice and we are always busy

Post Likes
    How are those microchannel condenser coils working out, with only a 1year warranty???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by torcher View Post
    How are those microchannel condenser coils working out, with only a 1year warranty???
    What brand only gives a one year warranty on microchannel coils? Even commercial units using microchannel coils usually have a 5 year warranty on the coils.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    York!!!!. It might even be a 2 yr warranty, but not 5.

Post Likes
    I know everyone hates YouTube. But to really hate something you have to at least know about it. I'd like t o hear your response on microchannel leaks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by torcher View Post
    York!!!!. It might even be a 2 yr warranty, but not 5.
    Why would you make such a blatantly false statement that is so easily verified as being completely wrong? Here is York's warranties, which apply to all JCI residential products;

Affinity™ Series Products Limited Warranties:
    10-year parts (three-phase: 1-year parts)
    10-year compressor (three-phase: 5-year compressor)
    Lifetime compressor with a factory-matched York® system Furnaces: Lifetime heat exchanger (packaged units: 20-year heat exchanger)

LX Series Products Limited Warranties:
    10-year parts (three-phase: 1-year parts)
    10-year compressor Furnaces:
    Lifetime heat exchanger (packaged units: 20-year heat exchanger)

Latitude™ Series Products Limited Warranties:
    10-year parts 10-year compressor Furnaces:
    20-year heat exchanger (Model TG9S: Lifetime heat exchanger) http://www.york.com/residential/why-....d0tfQDBz.dpuf

3 phase units are commercial and all commercial units have 1 year on parts.

Please have a clue as to what you are posting to avoid making false statements.

And no, I don't use, sell or in any way have anything to do with any JCI products. I just prefer that HVAC professionals know what they are talking about before they make comments.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Curious with Trane, Carrier and the expected big numbers. What's the draw? Do you really think they are more reliable or is it because either everyone else deals them and you feel you have to, or because those are the only ones most people ever heard of aside from Lennox/

I'm kinda lucky in that 98% of my equipment sales are to existing clients. If I told them I was installing a Nash they'd say fine, do what you think is best.

Post Likes
    Well advertized name brands are easier to sell for companies that rely only on brand rather than on selling themselves. As a contractor, I mostly installed underdog brands based on the fact that my company practices made the difference in how a system was going to function after installation. I also did not sell on lower prices just because the brand I was installing could be purchased for less.
    Training is important!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in