View Poll Results: Which brand(s) of ducted residential HVAC Equipment do you currently carry

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Standard

15 18.07%
  • Bryant

9 10.84%
  • Carrier

23 27.71%
  • Goodman/Amana

20 24.10%
  • ICP (Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire)

13 15.66%
  • Lennox

19 22.89%
  • Nordyne (Maytag, Frigidaire, Tappan, Westinghouse)

10 12.05%
  • Rheem/Ruud

18 21.69%
  • Trane

22 26.51%
  • Whirlpool

1 1.20%
  • York

12 14.46%
  • Other

14 16.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Most Lennox parts can be bought from a Johnstone Supply or any Allied Air brand distributor.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

we sell Bryant & amana/ goodman but service all.

We install York and Ruud. We service all Brands.

Tappan, Maytag, GrandAire. Will install a Payne/Bryant from time to time. Mostly a Nordyne fan when left to my own choice. Absolutely loved the 24.5 SEER heat pump install. Will try to push more of those...

We sell Rheem products. Before we got to rheem we put in york, goodman, amana. In that order. Realizing one was worse than the other, especially on warranting any parts. Got to rheem and i can count on one hand the amount of warranty parts i've had to get from them in all the years of selling their equipment. Package systems and residential. All great.
    RHEEM for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We sell Luxaire equipment. Haven't had any issues with warranty work, although we do include 10 years parts and labor with every job.

May I assume that everyone following this thread gets the message that it's all basically the same stuff and that someone prefers every brand? It should be obvious by now that the best brand for a contractor is the brand that is best supported by that brand's local distribution.

Well said. Of course, "local" to some in the more populous areas may have access to nearly every brand and prefer one over the other for specific professional reasons. Others may find themselves in a more remote part of the country and not have the access to a lot of different brands and "prefer" the brands that are simply available to them.

I recently had a customer come by my shop and make comment that he would never put in a Rheem because I had dozens of old Rheem units piled up in the bone yard. I had to tell him that the reason I had so many was because there were so many installed that it just made sense that there would be more dead Rheem units than any other around here. The trend to one brand over the other is probably 80% availability and 20% salesmanship. I don't care what I put in. I personally think they're all junk . Some are easier on the eyes, or easier to install, or easier to service. But they sure aren't what they use to be.

Goodman and Rheem

Quote Originally Posted by Superiormech View Post
    Goodman and Rheem
    This is an interesting combination only for the fact that these two brands do have different installation and operation parameters. How many times do the reversing valve controls get wired wrong?

Well we are a small company with only 4 employees. It's usually not an issue but I do have one installer that has to ask quiet often. He catches alot of flack for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soil Sampler View Post
    Trane mostly, some Goodman(I don't have a problem with Goodman and consider it a good product but EVERYBODY in DFW sells it). I have been considering Tappan in place of Goodman through Standard Supply but not sold on it yet. Anyone have any feedback on Tappan?
    I have a Tappan gaspack (actually a Frigidaire, same unit) on my home, my neighbors home, and several others. Never had even a single problems with any of them. They are solidly built, easy to access and work on, no funky design features to irritate you, easy to clean the coil if needed, and best of all, they don't use those damn tiny little multiple orifices soldered into the evap coil like Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Day & Night, ICP products, Comfortmaker, Heil, Tempstar, Arcoaire, and the other Carrier sub-labels use. I used to install those years ago and was sold on their quality, until after ten years I started getting call backs, and saw the head pressure creeping up ever higher year after year, until they would blow the compressor or the IPR valve.

I sold some of these to personal friends, and would never do that again now that I know about this problem. The sad thing is, if I'm not mistaken, I was told that they still use the same system, so unless they've addressed this problem, their new units will all do the same thing 10-15 yrs down the road.

Another problem I've noticed with the ICP units, not as bad, was that the units which used those gray plastic capacitors, as they age would often fall below spec value, but sometimes only when loaded and hot. Then the compressor overheats and shuts down. Then by the time you get there, it's all cooled down and everything working fine again. I went on one several times that was doing this, finally I caught it in the act when hot, tested the cap, and it was undervalue. I had many of these grey plastic caps fail.

Another thing to not like, is the odd 5/8 inch blower motor shaft and wheel. Not a big deal, but why do this in the first place?

Back to the Nordyne units, another thing I like about them, is the cabinet has not changed in probably 20 years, all sizes of both the heat pump and gaspacks are in the same cabinet, and the duct hole locations are a good direct fit for many older units with little or no modification.

If you are replacing down-shot mounted Carrier package units in the small cabinet with the horizontal condenser fan showing from the side, I have found the York to be almost a perfect direct fit, with the American Standard (Trane) the next closest fit, if going downshot over the existing Carrier roof jack or curb.

Over here, I like Am. Std. over Trane, they seem to be much nicer, more helpful, available, and concerned than Trane. In fact I installed a ten ton Trane commercial unit, had a problem in the middle of summer, and not a damn soul would even return my calls, locally, or from the factory. I called the local Am. Std. rep, and they actually sent TWO guys out who got on the roof with me and solved the problem, even though I didn't buy the unit through them! That really impressed my for Am. Std, but over here, I've never heard any good stories about Trane support and service. They just seem to not give a damn.

In conclusion, I've had great reliability and support (when rarely needed) from Nordyne products, American Standard, and Lennox (Allied products). I've had the worst experiences with Goodman (by far) and a distant second was Trane, but have very little experience with them so can't fully say.

Ps.. another nice thing about Nordyne, if you ever need one, is they make a great little package heat pump with round side draft outlets, perfect for mobile homes or other installations where you need to hook the flex directly into the unit. A friend just installed one and it really impressed him, he said it was so quiet and worked great, customer very happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Edited with original quote above...

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718 LastLast