Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Silver bearing solder vs brazing

Does anyone use silver bearing solder instead of brazing. It has a lower melting point and very high tensil strenght.

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3ffh View Post
    Does anyone use silver bearing solder instead of brazing. It has a lower melting point and very high tensil strenght.
    like staybright #8 ?

Post Likes
    If so ( Stay-Brite #8 ) absolutely

Post Likes
    Here it comes....
    Union Vs Non-union

6. Likes rjk_cmh, DavidDeBord, BigDanB, VTP99 liked this post
    Post Likes
    hack vs pro.

SB-8 has it's place. If used properly it often can replace brazing in certain scenarios. Ignoring the OEMs directions to use SB-8 instead would be frowned upon in general.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

8. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3ffh View Post
    Yep. AFAIK no issues with 410.

According to Harris Staybright with acid flux holds better than braze.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iceicebaby View Post

but the manufactures of 410 equipment feel differently

11. Likes ugottabkidnme liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    but the manufactures of 410 equipment feel differently
    I wonder why? Hardly any use nitro while brazing and the flaky stuff is likely a revenue generator.

13. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    hack vs pro.

SB-8 has it's place. If used properly it often can replace brazing in certain scenarios. Ignoring the OEMs directions to use SB-8 instead would be frowned upon in general.
    Guess I'm a hack.

I use SB-8 in any place that has a well fitting joint and in places I don't want to lug the oxy-acetylene torch.

The only "approval" I've ever seen for stay-brite is in older Sporlan bulletins. I don't think I've seen anything in equipment manufacturer's literature, regardless of refrigerant type, that directly states it's OK to use SB-8

So with no express warning against its use, I'll treat it as a tacit approval (by omission :grin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. Likes buford, clifpaul liked this post
    Post Likes
    Personally, I braze whenever possible. Braze is not as finicky as solder. And I feel it more easily fills voids. I can solder extremely well and have done probably 1000's of joints in my lifetime but soldering takes more prep and it's nice that the phosphorus in braze makes fluxing unnecessary.

All that being said #4 or #8 is perfectly capable of handling refrigeration pressures. Harris is very confident in their solder and even claims that overall joint strength is improved by soldering because the high heat of brazing anneals the tube, making it weaker.

Solder can be nice in some situations if you're working in a certain area or with a certain component where you want to keep the heat down. Or if you have to replace a certain filter dryer often, then solder could be a good option because it's easier to disconnect and reconnect something.

I wouldn't fault someone for using solder in hvac because technically it will work. But it does kinda make you look like a hack, especially if you did an entire system with solder. Solder just isn't really the industry standard. I haven't personally met anyone in HVAC that has replaced brazing with soldering.
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Personally, I braze whenever possible. Braze is not as finicky as solder. And I feel it more easily fills voids. I can solder extremely well and have done probably 1000's of joints in my lifetime but soldering takes more prep and it's nice that the phosphorus in braze makes fluxing unnecessary.

All that being said #4 or #8 is perfectly capable of handling refrigeration pressures. Harris is very confident in their solder and even claims that overall joint strength is improved by soldering because the high heat of brazing anneals the tube, making it weaker.

Solder can be nice in some situations if you're working in a certain area or with a certain component where you want to keep the heat down. Or if you have to replace a certain filter dryer often, then solder could be a good option because it's easier to disconnect and reconnect something.

I wouldn't fault someone for using solder in hvac because technically it will work. But it does kinda make you look like a hack, especially if you did an entire system with solder. Solder just isn't really the industry standard. I haven't personally met anyone in HVAC that has replaced brazing with soldering.
    I think would feel better about a soldered (staybrite) system than I would with a 100 percent brazed system. Unless I found it to be leaking at the joints, of course. :grin:

The joint preparation necessary for soldering will deter most of the hacks right off the bat. You also don't get the oxidation forming in the piping at the lower soldering temperatures.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iceicebaby View Post

For what it's worth (very little if anything at all)...
    Acid flux residue doesn't play well with the POE oil in 410A systems (or so I've been told). It's not a question of joint strength so much as chemistry...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabkidnme View Post
    For what it's worth (very little if anything at all)...
    Acid flux residue doesn't play well with the POE oil in 410A systems (or so I've been told). It's not a question of joint strength so much as chemistry...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The Flux is allegedly consumed during the soldering process.

Plus you can just use the paste flux.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast