Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Homeowner Installed Units

Do any of you guys have a policy with regards to servicing a homeowner installed unit? I get asked to service these types of equipment all the time and I always decline.

What do you guys do when asked to service a homeowner installed unit? Especially one bought from a home store.

Post Likes
    The first person to ask this question to would be your insurance carrier. Find out what they think about you (basically) owning an installation done by someone without liability insurance, no license and very questionable skill levels when it comes to following all the codes and rules that apply.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Lets say that you didn't know who installed it. And they called for service on their existing unit,would you go?

I am not responsible for screw ups by "others", I will repair anybody's equipment as long as its done my way(Carrier,Rheem etc,etc) .If not,then NO!

Post Likes
    Some HO installed units are put in better than some dealer installed units

I don't see why it matters who installed it. Work on the sucker, document any deficiencies or problems you found from the installation to CYA. If it is unsafe, shut it down.

5. Likes MissouriBound, beenthere, town liked this post
    Post Likes
    Decline.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    For me it's the same either way for a new customer. I'll look it over. If it's not right, the conversation starts there before I start 'fixing' it.
    There's:
    -Perfect installs-sadly rare
    -Good installs
    -Good enough installs
    -Bad installs
    -Dangerous installs
    If it's one of the last 2 you may get the job of ripping it out and starting over. Especially true if it's a fustercluck.
    "Sometimes what's right is what's left after you do everything wrong"--Robin Williams

Post Likes
    If it's done properly its no different than servicing a unit installed by another company. If it's wrong or dangerous I shut it down and call the gas company or oil supplier just like I do with any other unit.

9. Likes MissouriBound liked this post
    Post Likes
    No big deal. If it's got something wrong you just tell them and say it's going to cost x to get it safe.

Post Likes
    I tell them i will warranty ONLY PARTS installed by me.
    NO warranty on the rest of the system.
    If the system is unsafe and the home owner refuses to pay me to fix it properly i will refuse the job .

Post Likes
    Sure, fixed many DIY mistakes. The repair bills are usally larger than normal and owner to ashamed to complain about cost because of having to have someone fix his screw up. Document what you found, document what you were authorized to repair. If unsafe tell them it is unsafe. Tell them the cost to repair to a safe condition.

By the same token I have fixed bad installs by other who claim to have been an installer

Post Likes
    Yea ill do it,have done it, bu9t its all or nothing, what gets done and how much is non negotiable and i always include rebrazing every joint just because i suspect solder.also before you quote take a look at ALL the piping.

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Some HO installed units are put in better than some dealer installed units

I don't see why it matters who installed it. Work on the sucker, document any deficiencies or problems you found from the installation to CYA. If it is unsafe, shut it down.
    This.
    I don't care who installed it, I'll fix it for this much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post Likes
    How many ,besides me, have RECOMMENDED/ENCOURAGED a HO to put in his own ACH system? And he did! And he did it right!And he built/formed/shaped his own airplane!And he races/builds/repairs his own MG racing car!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast