Post Likes

Heat Pump and Condenser Warranties

I was told by my Lennox supplier that the (5 yr) compressor warranty is good only for the home owner and if he sells his house it is no longer warrantied except for one of their "premium" units which stays with the house.

Has anyone else heard this from other manufactures? Something we need to know. I think it sucks myself. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    I would read the warranty certificate and/or call and ask lennox themselves. Sorry, I don't trust supply house for correct warranty info, they sell parts and equipment. Warranty doesn't make em money. Kind of like having your propane or oil supplier "tune up" your furnace to give you max efficiency, it benefits them more to have your furnace burning inefficiently.

Post Likes
    Goodmans 10 year warranty goes to 5 years for the second owner.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Goodmans 10 year warranty goes to 5 years for the second owner.
    That's the way everyone is these days though with A-S/Trane you can pay them $100 and transfer the 10 year to the next owner. Don't know if anyone else does that or not.

Wonder how many dealers register for their customers? Since this miserable way of doing things began, I've found only one HO beat me to it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Wonder how many dealers register for their customers? Since this miserable way of doing things began.....
    I do, but most of my installs are L O N G term customers.
    funny this is brought up, but my Nordyne district rep. told us not to.
    He said there was a lawsuit (I believe) in Texas where the contractor lost.
    Seems he missed one (of course the one that sued) and since he registered some the court found him liable.

I have been fighting JCI for a couple of months because of a distributors typo.
    If you don't cross the T's and dot the I's on paperwork, you are screwed!

And ALL manufacturers seem to be doing their best to get out of warranties...
    Sorry for the rant, but I can go on for awhile on this..
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That's the way everyone is these days though with A-S/Trane you can pay them $100 and transfer the 10 year to the next owner. Don't know if anyone else does that or not.

Wonder how many dealers register for their customers? Since this miserable way of doing things began, I've found only one HO beat me to it.
    You'll love this.
    In the goodman world, there is 4 types of warranty.
    Unregistered 5 year parts.
    Registered 10 year parts, 5 year to the second owner.
    Registered 10 year parts and labor warranty, fully transferable to the second owner via $$$ and paperwork.

And finally, the most backwards warranty provided:
    Registered 10 year parts, and a 10 year labor warranty. The parts go to 5, and you can transfer the 10 year labor warranty.

So, when the extended warranty is purchased, you have the option of:
    1. Parts and labor.
    2. Parts warranty and a labor warranty.

Sounds the same, but it's different. It's insanity.
    We have quite a few customers that have 10 year labor warranties but only 5 year parts, because they're the second owner. Some sort of filing mishap, or miscommunication between us and our dist.

In our market, I would say that about 20% of goodman units are registered.
    If you take our company out of the numbers, I'd put it in the 5-10% range.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I do, but most of my installs are L O N G term customers.
    funny this is brought up, but my Nordyne district rep. told us not to.
    He said there was a lawsuit (I believe) in Texas where the contractor lost.
    Seems he missed one (of course the one that sued) and since he registered some the court found him liable.

I have been fighting JCI for a couple of months because of a distributors typo.
    If you don't cross the T's and dot the I's on paperwork, you are screwed!

And ALL manufacturers seem to be doing their best to get out of warranties...
    Sorry for the rant, but I can go on for awhile on this..
    I hear the frustration in your keyboard, so please don't take this the wrong way. Just curious, if you do the registering for your customers, how did your distributor screw up on this. Do you do it thru the distributor or online?

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    Beware the phrase "...warrants to the original owner...". It started with companies requiring registration to get the full warranty, now you need to install a matched/rated system AND register it within 60 days. As for registering for the customer, it's a tough spot. If you're responsible and do them all on time and print/mail the customer a copy then great. If you miss one, though, you could be seriously screwed over. Example: Guy had 6 year old Armstrong heat pump/air handler. The contractor registered the condenser but not the air handler when it was installed. The customer was not happy to hear he had to pay full price for his new air handler control board.

However, we all know that if we leave it to the end user to register their system there's a pretty good chance they won't do it. I guess you could make a point of telling them to register and send you a copy, then keep track of who hasn't sent a copy in yet and call/remind them to register. Do you really have the time or staff to just run down lazy people who can't be bothered? After all, all Joe Homeowner heard during the sales pitch was "10 YEAR WARRANTY". If it's not registered it's your fault, right?

Eventually dealers and suppliers will have to have an in house attorney to prepare and file warranty claims.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Statements made by me are strictly my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. I am not authorized to make any official statements on behalf of my employer.
    Any technical advice offered by me is for educational purposes only, all HVAC related repairs should only be attempted by qualified personnel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    I hear the frustration in your keyboard, so please don't take this the wrong way. Just curious, if you do the registering for your customers, how did your distributor screw up on this. Do you do it thru the distributor or online?
    FWIW all these are extended warranty claims..

With JCI Xvlv and heat strips are an accessary and must be registered.
    We take numbers off of the AHU and CU to register. we take numbers off of the invoice for strips and valves.

The invoice had a number for an "C.U. Valve" on it (Typo)...
    Registered as such and a year later when we replaced the defective valve ...
    Guess What.

BTW all extended warranties are online...
    Had the same thing awhile back when they sent a Warren heat strip with a JCI number.
    When BOTH the "sequencers" went out (bad from the factory) ... Guess what..
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    FWIW all these are extended warranty claims..

With JCI Xvlv and heat strips are an accessary and must be registered.
    We take numbers off of the AHU and CU to register. we take numbers off of the invoice for strips and valves.

The invoice had a number for an "C.U. Valve" on it (Typo)...
    Registered as such and a year later when we replaced the defective valve ...
    Guess What.

BTW all extended warranties are online...
    Had the same thing awhile back when they sent a Warren heat strip with a JCI number.
    When BOTH the "sequencers" went out (bad from the factory) ... Guess what..
    I see, thanks for sharing...hope it all works out.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    I did not no the purchaser moved
    Do all on line by serial # and whatever name pops up to that serial #.