Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

using r22 in a r 410 condensing unit

Ok i know not supposed to do it but new compressors now all have poe oil in them anyway, and r sent to u to replace the old r 22 compressors, why wouldnt r22 not work on a 410 cond.unit, will the reversing valve not work properly? just wondering if it is as a big a no no as the makers of the units say it is, and it may b. I now use the blend mo99 for most of my jobs and another i havent cracked the seal on i think its 402 or something.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

Post Likes
    Can't wait to see the answers on this one LOL !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    410 A condensing units have 410A compressors, which are different than 22 compressors.

It wont work right. I don't have a full explanation for why, I just remember reading about it.

Post Likes
    Why would you want to put R-22, which costs $$$$$ into a R410a unit when R410a costs $?
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

5. Likes Red Man, James Colver liked this post
    Post Likes
    The capacity will be reduced a little bit but it will work. I wouldn't recommend it. It's better to get a 410a txv instead in the evap.

Post Likes
    Sounds like an experiment you should try at your own house instead of a customer's. Test total capacity with the different compressors using each of your refrigerant choices. I bet no matter what you do the supply air will be colder than return. You might find capacity to drop 40% using a 410 compressor with mo99

Post Likes
    I believe they have different compression ratios and the pressure would be higher causing a warmer Indoor coil and outdoor coil?

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    It's not a functional problem - it will work fine. I have done it several times and have some more jobs doing it coming up this fall. I have yet to do it with a heap pump - but I have no doubt that it would work there as well.

But the cooling capacity will be 65% of the R-410 system's rated capacity.

BTW: I use R-407C in them - not R-22. But just for the cost - the refrigerating effect would be the same as R-22.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly tech View Post
    Ok i know not supposed to do it but new compressors now all have poe oil in them anyway, and r sent to u to replace the old r 22 compressors, why wouldnt r22 not work on a 410 cond.unit, will the reversing valve not work properly? just wondering if it is as a big a no no as the makers of the units say it is, and it may b. I now use the blend mo99 for most of my jobs and another i havent cracked the seal on i think its 402 or something.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    No; they run fine - and at nice and relaxed head pressures because you are rejecting 1/3 less heat. <g>

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    I believe they have different compression ratios and the pressure would be higher causing a warmer Indoor coil and outdoor coil?

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    It's not a functional problem - it will work fine. I have done it several times and have some more jobs doing it coming up this fall. I have yet to do it with a heap pump - but I have no doubt that it would work there as well.

But the cooling capacity will be 65% of the R-410 system's rated capacity.

BTW: I use R-407C in them - not R-22. But just for the cost - the refrigerating effect would be the same as R-22.

PHM
    -------
    May i ask you if efficiency stays the same? if capacity drops to 65% , does compressor uses 2/3power because of lower head pressure?
    Do you have to slow down the blower?

Post Likes
    It will run, but you've just ruined that unit, all refrigerant has some traces of its oil in it, 22 mineral, 410 POE, those oils HATE one another. I've never done it myself, so I can only go on what I've been told can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyJ View Post
    all refrigerant has some traces of its oil in it, 22 mineral, 410 POE, those oils HATE one another.
    No they don't. The different oils CAN be mixed together and WILL work just fine.

When POE was first hitting the market there was a lot of concern about doom and gloom if there was any trace of the old oil in the system, but I don't think anyone worries about it anymore.

Copeland certainly wouldn't be filling up all of there new replacement r22 compressors with POE if they still thought mixing oils was bad.

By the way, I don't think most r22 systems used mineral oil anyways. I think alkylbenzine was much more common, which I believe is a synthetic. Still shouldn't matter if a little bit gets mixed with POE (or the other way around) but I wanted to point that out.

14. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyJ View Post
    It will run, but you've just ruined that unit, all refrigerant has some traces of its oil in it, 22 mineral, 410 POE, those oils HATE one another. I've never done it myself, so I can only go on what I've been told can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever your getting your information from Stop listening.

I don't know why someone would put R-22 in a R-410A unit but at worse a 40 + or - % reduction in capacity. A reciprocating or Scroll or Screw really doesn't care what gas its moving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast