Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM's

PM's

Sent my techs on a PM call for a furnace (no problems - she just wants it serviced). Sent my guys out. Homeowner called back and said they didn't do anything. I told her I was coming out personally to check her system and talk with her. My guys said the furnace was fairly new and so clean you could eat out of it. they cleaned the condensing coils, checked everything - no problems. What can you do to a fairly new furnace on a P.M. call ?
    td55

Clean flame sensor, brush burners, check gas pressure, check amp draws and wire connections, combustion analysis, flame signal, clean drain line/s, test safeties, check temp rise. Basically everything you do on an old dirty furnace, whether it looks like it needs it or not. That is what the customer paid for after all.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I pm new stuff all the time....... I look at the coils....might not clean them..... look at everything......do all the checks.... volts amps caps......check the charge...... look over the equipment in general...... everything Id do to a 20 year old POS.... just dont have to do much cleaning.

Hey... I went out on a PM a while back...... really hard to get into attic.... I mean real hard..... and this is a twice yearly customer.... and the attic insulation she had blown in several years ago...... didnt have a mark on it.......lol

im talking Pristine....... flat.... and the unit..... nice layer of dust on it.... undisturbed dust....lol

I was carefull going to it..... and sorta brushed the insulation back where my footholes were..... but if someone goes up in there 20 years from now.... they will still be able to see where I walked.

Now thats called not doing anything.

See a lot of those too.... duct tape from the original install thats never been peeled off to get into the unit....... and you can tell....

But anyhow... thats a whole nother thread.
    She's a meth cookin mama in love with a pill crunching man....

New or not, there's still a lot to be done. Temperature rise, static pressure, clean flame sensor, clear pressure switch tubing, test safety switches, just to name a few. Takes me about an hour, old or new.

Seems like a good reason to have a full check list that needs to be performed. But then again, dishonest techs will just falsify the documents...

excellent info. the cold weather is just beginning this year, and I want to be thorough and give my customers there moneys worth. So exactly what is involved in a combustion analysis? Just a visual /audible inspection ? And what is the correct way to check temperature rise? At the vents with an infrared or probe ? And what about the flame signal - check millivolts ?
    td55

These are very basic tests for anyone in the heating industry, aside from combustion analysis. That requires a very expensive tool and to know how to interpret the results

do you use purchased work orders or your own design? we used to use our own and did for years but I always felt like something was missing because the work orders were almost vague. purchased or designed doesn't matter but since we got these new ones customers seem more informed and techs are less likely to miss or forget something. now proving they actually did everything they documented is another deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydykes55 View Post
    excellent info. the cold weather is just beginning this year, and I want to be thorough and give my customers there moneys worth. So exactly what is involved in a combustion analysis? Just a visual /audible inspection ? And what is the correct way to check temperature rise? At the vents with an infrared or probe ? And what about the flame signal - check millivolts ?
    Use a combustion analyzer to check if its operating correctly.

http://www.bacharach-inc.com/combustion-analyzers.htm

Check manifold pressure, temp rise with probe in return at furnace, and then in supply duct 1 to 3 foot from plenum so its not influenced by IR heat from the heat exchanger.

Check pressure switch and furnace ports to make sure they are not restricting. Clean flame sensor, check uA of flame signal. clean drain hoses and condensate trap of condensing furnaces.

Pretty much everything you would do on a 15 year old furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If it's New and there are no problems and/or nothing to upgrade/sell (safeties) etc. I document everything I Checked.
    Electrical, mechanical, pressures temperatures, observations, cleaned this and that etc.
    Show all your checks and on your invoice and explain it to your client. This gives them a sensense of,security and reassures them that they got what they payed for.
    Like mentioned before, everything is checked like if it was an old system check. Of course its a lot faster as it's new.
    Most important thing is documenting and explaining, helps create client retention too.

Another good rule to go by is to always treat every unit as if it were your own at your house

Quote Originally Posted by Birnios View Post
    Another good rule to go by is to always treat every unit as if it were your own at your house
    Even better is to pretend you're on one of those 'to catch a contractor', hidden camera shows!

Quote Originally Posted by Birnios View Post
    Then I wouldn't check anything. I only look at my own when it stops working.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast