Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Residential HVAC Training

I'm working on having Residential HVAC be the focus for an entire year at our Training Center.
    Split Systems, Package Units, Ground-Source HP, Mini-Splits, Single Phase, Smart Zone Sensors, Rigging, etc.
    How to understand the electrical, how to pipe the systems, & how to work on them safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPTA_AOP View Post
    I'm working on having Residential HVAC be the focus for an entire year at our Training Center.
    Split Systems, Package Units, Ground-Source HP, Mini-Splits, Single Phase, Smart Zone Sensors, Rigging, etc.
    How to understand the electrical, how to pipe the systems, & how to work on them safely.
    Where is your training center, and what subjects do you normally teach at this facility?

What information are your trying to obtain with this thread?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes

What is the rest of the story? Are you doing this on your own as a private individual?

Post Likes

It should read:

We will cover Split Systems, Package Units, Ground-Source HP, Mini-Splits, Single Phase, Smart Zone Sensors, Rigging, etc.
    We will teach how to understand the electrical, how to pipe the systems, & how to work on them safely.

I'm the Training Coordinator for HVAC at the AZ Pipe Trades Apprenticeship in Phoenix. I'm crafting a new program that will touch on as much Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, & Building Automation Systems as possible over the span of 5 years.

P.S. I forgot small Boilers & small Pumps.

Post Likes
    It should read:

We will cover Split Systems, Package Units, Ground-Source HP, Mini-Splits, Single Phase, Smart Zone Sensors, Rigging, etc.
    We will teach how to understand the electrical, how to pipe the systems, & how to work on them safely.

I'm the Training Coordinator for HVAC at the AZ Pipe Trades Apprenticeship in Phoenix. I'm crafting a new program that will touch on as much Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, & Building Automation Systems as possible over the span of 5 years.

P.S. I forgot small Boilers & small Pumps.
    Sounds like it could be a good program. I have a lot of respect for Pipefitters, as my father was a union Pipefitter for many years.

I owe much of my foundation and knowledge in this field to him.

But the question remains, what is the purpose of this thread? Advertisement for your program?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Sounds like it could be a good program. I have a lot of respect for Pipefitters, as my father was a union Pipefitter for many years.

I owe much of my foundation and knowledge in this field to him.

But the question remains, what is the purpose of this thread? Advertisement for your program?
    To find out what is most beneficial to be taught in the 1st year of our program.

Post Likes
    To find out what is most beneficial to be taught in the 1st year of our program.
    With all that you have listed to be taught in the first year, my assumption would be that very little detail on each subject would be covered, but just a general overview to acquaint the student with each area they might become exposed to - Yes? No?

My personal opinion: The weakest link of most new techs is reading and understanding electrical wiring diagrams, knowing how electrical components work ( switches, relays, sequencers, motors ect.), knowing how to use a VOM, and last but not least, electrical troubleshooting.

8. Likes beenthere, BALloyd, ch4man liked this post
    Post Likes
    The Apprenticeship year is currently 240 Hours. I would like to be at 320 Hours. I believe the higher number is required to cover all of the learning.

Post Likes
    I am thinking the most miss understood-- don't know about or how or understand superheat and subcooling

Post Likes
    AZPTA are you doing this out of a UA Local? If so start very basic apprentices level of experience will vary widely. I agree with rundawg wiring diagrams is a good starting point. Refrigeration Fundamentals,basics of electricity,Electrical Components, you should quickly see which student can move on to other things and which still need help with the basics.

Post Likes

Residential HVAC Training

Quote Originally Posted by Tech502 View Post
    AZPTA are you doing this out of a UA Local? If so start very basic apprentices level of experience will vary widely. I agree with rundawg wiring diagrams is a good starting point. Refrigeration Fundamentals,basics of electricity,Electrical Components, you should quickly see which student can move on to other things and which still need help with the basics.
    Yes, the Local Training Center.

1st Year, Residential HVAC

2nd Year, Light Commercial Refrigeration & Refrigeration Control Systems I

3rd Year, Light Commercial HVAC & HVAC Control Systems

4th Year, Commercial/Industrial Refrigeration & Refrigeration Control Systems II

5th Year, Heavy Commercial HVAC & Building Control Systems

Post Likes
    I'd recommend starting with basic refrigeration and basic electricity. Then moving into residential and light commercial.

Post Likes
    Name:  IMG_0193.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  87.3 KB
    The new revamped HVAC, Refrigeration, & Building Controls Systems Apprenticeship class kicked-off yesterday.

15. Likes pecmsg, ksefan liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast