Doubtless aire Minisplit

A friend of mine purchased a Ductlessaire minisplit 24,000 heat pump from Amazon. I am doing the installation. It was delivered to my shop. Have any of you dealt with ductless aire?

It looks like a typical run if the mill Chinese mini. I love the install directions. The broken English. It says to "vacuum the air out for about 10 min"....lmao. Then goes on to say no warranty for non professional installations. I had to laugh.

I assume they do not use micron gauges in China.

Pretty scary. But what do you expect for crap like that. Dirt cheap, gees. It claims to have a Toshiba compressor, probably the only good thing in the unit

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Pretty scary. But what do you expect for crap like that. Dirt cheap, gees. It claims to have a Toshiba compressor, probably the only good thing in the unit
    I hope this thing is not a POS. I will be getting the call backs.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    Why would you be getting callbacks? He bought it online, it's his headache if parts break.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Why would you be getting callbacks? He bought it online, it's his headache if parts break.
    He will expect me to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    Don't make a mistake!

I will nitrogen leak test it and pull it down using a micron gauge.

even the Mitsubishi are written odd, I think they hired a German speaking guy that could translate into English. lol

I would test leak at 200-300 psi. Those flares can be finicky if you have not made a enough to get it right the first time. I put like a 1/4 of a drop of nylog on the flare to help the copper seat

On the Mitsubishi, they have you pull the whole front panel to run the wires. ( which takes at lot of time) I just use a 1/2" plastic snap in to protect the wire , then tape the wires to a point and work them through. BAM

Did they order the 14 gauge control wire too. On Mit you must use 14 ga

post up if it works out ok.

I'd walk.

Talked to a guy who lives/works in the US virgin islands last year. Was at a minisplit class I attended, kinda like an "auditor".

He said he finds Non-UL listed units there all the time. Wiring diagrams are wrong on occasion, parts sometimes aren't shown, or aren't there.

I asked him who he calls to get parts.
    He laughed at me. "well...if your gonna buy a cheapo unit, you might as well buy 2. 1 to use, 1 to scrap parts off it. Theres no such thing as replacement parts."

Keep that in mind as your installing it.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Turns out it is a 13 seer non inverter type. Probably a good thing on a cheap model. It went together well. No leaks. Install instructions said it was charged for 15 feet of line set which is what I used. I used liquid tight 1/2" and ran the 6 conductor 14 awg THHN into the wall mounted air handler.

Used slimduct to cover the outdoor Line set and wiring down to the unit.
    This unit actually had two ports. One on each line. I put adaptors on both ports and evacuated it using my yellow jacket evacuation system with micron gauge and 3/8" hoses and fresh pump oil. Pulled it 3 times breaking with nitrogen.
    Last pull down went to 57 microns.

Released charge. Fired it up in a.c. mode. Checked superheat for giggles on the outdoor "suction line" was showing 14 degrees. Outdoor temp was cold 35F.
    put it in heat mode. Outdoor reversing valve switched over and in about 5 min the outdoor unit came on. The frigid air blowing out of the condenser. The outdoor unit ran for a minute or so before the indoor fan turned on and louvers opened. The heat is very good.

I didn't take any pics but it turned out nice. Hope it lasts.

Glad it all worked out.

On the Mit's you have to open the panel to get access to the second port.