Post Likes

Tips on changing Hi efficient furnace heat exchangers

I changed one on a Goodman 92%er yesterday. I separated the primary and secondary heat exchangers and pulled them out separately.

The primary had 2 cracks and was changed under warranty.

So when I installed the new primary I did it first, got it hanging by a screw and then lined it up for the next screws it was actually a pain in the ass lol

I did them separately because the Goodman had the stubs sticking up that the upper panel slides over so I could lift the complete heat exchanger over the stubs.

There were no instructions with the new heat exchanger. But it wasn't that bad. One thing that bothered me was the flames flickered ever so slightly when the blower turned on but I put my hand on the cabinet and the wheel had a little vibration so I believe it to be that. I watched it several times, the flames didn't move much but I could tell there was a slight difference, obviously no flames rolling out.

Post Likes
    Mark down on paper or the parts themselves. 1, 2, 3 etc. Then put back together in opposite order. Or take pictures. I usually take them out as a whole then take apart. It seems easier. I don't mind replacing commercial rtu heat exchangers. I usually pass on the residential ones cause I hate doing them. I know you mentioned warranty but if secondary is covered and primary isn't or vice versa, best to do them both and be done with it.

3. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey77 View Post
    Mark down on paper or the parts themselves. 1, 2, 3 etc. Then put back together in opposite order. Or take pictures. I usually take them out as a whole then take apart. It seems easier. I don't mind replacing commercial rtu heat exchangers. I usually pass on the residential ones cause I hate doing them. I know you mentioned warranty but if secondary is covered and primary isn't or vice versa, best to do them both and be done with it.
    Well that's what was interesting to me, I'm mainly a commercial guy. So when I ordered the heat exchanger under warranty I thought both the primary and secondary came together. Then I found out that's not the case.

Also what's dumb is the collector box was cracked and it was not considered the heat exchanger so it wasn't covered under warranty, I charged the customer for it.

Post Likes
    Ya they really are stingy with the warranty parts. We have been burned a few times changing out a warranty secondary and then starting it up to find hi co because of the primary. Now we will only do both. I think we probably has to do say 10 that I know of that we did just one and then had to take it apart again and do the other because of hi co.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey77 View Post
    Ya they really are stingy with the warranty parts. We have been burned a few times changing out a warranty secondary and then starting it up to find hi co because of the primary. Now we will only do both. I think we probably has to do say 10 that I know of that we did just one and then had to take it apart again and do the other because of hi co.
    Do you have to ask for the secondary heat exchanger to also be under warranty or is there no warranty on that section?

Post Likes
    They should be warranted for at least 20 years but if there is service bullitin on it, it usually only covers 1 or the other. In that case we recommend replacing both but they don't have to. However say we do just the secondary and co is hi from the primary being all sooted up, then we tell them they pay the labor for us to pull it apart again and the labor to replace it. Some manufacturers give credits now towards a new furnace instead of dicking around with them. 1 manufacturer in particular is known for having heat exchangers issues on certain models and dates they were made. That's why I prefer commercial, not dealing with pissed off homeowners. My 2 cents