Post Likes

Do piston orifice housing threads differ?

Don't normally deal with this sort of thing, so pardon if this is a stupid question. Have an old rheem/ruud r-22 unit with a piston in it that a friend wants to up to a txv (instead of upgrading to the modern age). For simplicity sake Iv had my eye on the txv kits, but what wasn't clear is if the threaded assym varied between makers. Id hate to buy a kit and it not fit the piston housing! Don't need to hear about hardstarts and such, its a 3ph scroll. Also not trying to fix a problem, just trying to get it above its factory 8seer rating and handle humidity swings better! Thnx!

Post Likes
    Ive never thought about an issue with thread counts but anytime I purchase one for repair or otherwise I just go to the supply house that is a distributer of the brand in question and have never hap an issue with fittings not being compatible

Post Likes
    There are two main piston/txv threads you will see.
    chatlaff- uses a piston with a Teflon ring on it and there is another Teflon ring on the housing
    Aeroquip- uses no Teflon rings. All seals are metal on metal.

Post Likes
    Alright, only ones Iv come across use the Teflon rings, just saw some that have a nose on the female end of the valve, and others didnt, which is mostly what threw me off. Appreciate the info!

Post Likes
    or get braze in txv. I think the universal kits have the adapters to different style fittings.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Well its good info learned, but got over there, popped the lid and the evaps leaking! Solves that lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    There are two main piston/txv threads you will see.
    chatlaff- uses a piston with a Teflon ring on it and there is another Teflon ring on the housing
    Aeroquip- uses no Teflon rings. All seals are metal on metal.
    Danfoss makes a retrofit TXV that has both fittings in kit