Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    there is also a second Air Force One, a decoy if-you-will, and alternative landing/takeoff sites.

The Logistics of protecting one person is enormous.
    I worked on a hanger at Andrews AFB that was within sight of the Air Force One hanger. When ever any diplomat or politician was being flown to Andrews by helicopter to get onto AF-1, there were always three choppers flown in. One chopper carried the diplomat/politician and the other two were support decoys.

Because of the proximaty of the hanger we were working on, whenever anyone was being choppered in, a couple of Jeeps with young guys with big guns would come onto the jobsite and make everyone come down to ground level. Could not even be on a ladder when the choppers when landing.

At any time, the president or any other politician from any country could be on one of those choppers. And yes, there are two AF-1 jets.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

there is also a second Air Force One, a decoy if-you-will, and alternative landing/takeoff sites.

The Logistics of protecting one person is enormous.
    Interesting that you say that cause you are not suppose to say that. Actually there are not two Air Ones.

And, Air Force One does not really exist as an aircraft. It's only when the president flies in it is it Air Force One, which is it's aircraft designation.

For instance, after the new president is sworn in a hellicopter takes the past President out to Andrews and flys he and his family and others back to where they want to go, typically home.

It's on the same plane he has used for the previous 4 years but it is not called Air Force One because he no longer is the President.

The same goes to "Hail to the Chief." When the soon to be President walks out the back of the Capitol, use to be the front in the old days, Hail to the Chief is not played until he is sworn in. Then from that point on Hail to the Chief is played if the occasion merits it.

BTW, my father use to own the south west section of Andrews AFB until they took it away from him in the 30's or 40's. I still have the deed somewhere I think.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    . I still have the deed somewhere I think.

I dare you to put a lean on it
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Interesting that you say that cause you are not suppose to say that. Actually there are not two Air Ones.

And, Air Force One does not really exist as an aircraft. It's only when the president flies in it is it Air Force One, which is it's aircraft designation.

For instance, after the new president is sworn in a hellicopter takes the past President out to Andrews and flys he and his family and others back to where they want to go, typically home.

It's on the same plane he has used for the previous 4 years but it is not called Air Force One because he no longer is the President.

The same goes to "Hail to the Chief." When the soon to be President walks out the back of the Capitol, use to be the front in the old days, Hail to the Chief is not played until he is sworn in. Then from that point on Hail to the Chief is played if the occasion merits it.

BTW, my father use to own the south west section of Andrews AFB until they took it away from him in the 30's or 40's. I still have the deed somewhere I think.
    Picky, picky...picky....
    No matter where in the world the President travels, if he flies in an Air Force jet, the plane is called Air Force One. Technically, Air Force One is the call sign of any Air Force aircraft carrying the President. In practice, however, Air Force One is used to refer to one of two highly customized Boeing 747-200B series aircraft, which carry the tail codes 28000 and 29000. The Air Force designation for the aircraft is VC-25A.

I dare you to put a lean on it
    The land was taken away from us by eminent domain and that is a final process with no recourse. Our house on Pennsylvania had the same thing happen when DC expanded the Ave from two lanes to four. We lost half or our front yard.

Kinda good for me as I had less grass to cut.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

The land was taken away from us by eminent domain and that is a final process with no recourse. Our house on Pennsylvania had the same thing happen when DC expanded the Ave from two lanes to four. We lost half or our front yard.

Kinda good for me as I had less grass to cut.
    "always look on the bright side of life, whistle whistle"

I remember when Gerald Fords motorcade drove by our house. He was standing up out of the sun roof of a limo and was waving to people on the side of the road.
    Lotsa police everywhere and helicopters about.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Don't forget, when AF-1 is in the air, there is 2 F-16 within stricking distance.

AF-1 does not fly alone
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I remember when Gerald Fords motorcade drove by our house. He was standing up out of the sun roof of a limo and was waving to people on the side of the road.
    Lotsa police everywhere and helicopters about.
    I was working on a restaurant complex in D.C. when President Ford was dedicating a Federal building across the street. A bunch of us went to the roof of the building we were working on to get a close up, birds eye view of the dedication ceremonies.

About two hours before President Ford was to arrive, Secret Service agents took over the roof and made everyone in the building stay on the ground floor until the President was gone. I would have balked, but those guys don't look like someone you should balk to...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345