Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CH531

Hello
    I just performed a retrofit from UCP1 to Ch 531. Chiller has remote starter wye-delta conf. Went to start up and after abouit ten min of run time went down an momentery phase loss. Checked all wiring and spoke to Lacrosse went through Bullettin 1580 didnt not resolve issue. Can anyone shed light on the subject
    P.s Pwer factor remained constant around . 80

I did the same last year and had no problems, I would suggest checking your wiring and watch the phase voltages on the panel to see which one is dropping out.

LaCrosse has probably already mentioned it, but have you checked the polarity of all your P.T./C.T's? I had a machine do this once when we retro'ed the starter and I got the dot's backwards.

Restart the machine and check your KW readings. If they look screwy, suspect P.T./C.T. wiring/polarity problem.

Checked it 3 Times had another tech check it once all dots on CTs point towards incoming power

Have you checked you KW reading while the machine is operating?

Try disabling the phase loss protection while you are trouble shooting, it might help to keep you online while checking voltages.

all your dots maybe correct however internally they maybe backwards, I just had the same problem it took 8 starts to get it to read correctly, go down the starter module and swap 2 leads at time you will get it right

Stupid question
    How do you determine proper KW

I am saying; when the machine is operating with improperly phased P.T.'s\C.T.'s that you will see screwy readings.

The readings will not be consistent.

They may look like this: 100/100/-25.
    Also check your power factor readings.

Do you have any other CT's on the same lines? I did a UCPII conversion once, and encountered phase loss upon start up. It turned out that the old CT's used for the analog meters on the starter panel were the culprit. Once I removed those the chiller has ran fine for the last 7 years. I've done a few dinaview conversions (all on 4160) and haven't had any issues.

ch531

Does the control power come from the same power source as the main power feed to the chiller, ie separate control breaker .If so momentary power loss will have to be disabled ,also agree to check LPF & KW readings to confirm polarity of pts & cts .

What was the estimate to do this upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ;1085324
    Hello
    I just performed a retrofit from UCP1 to Ch 531. Chiller has remote starter wye-delta conf. Went to start up and after abouit ten min of run time went down an momentery phase loss. Checked all wiring and spoke to Lacrosse went through Bullettin 1580 didnt not resolve issue. Can anyone shed light on the subject
    P.s Pwer factor remained constant around . 80

Ch531

40 hrs should cover it but if you have not done it before it will take longer .The first one I did was when they first came out and it took about 60 hrs but the kits have improved a lot and there is no need to do a lot of sub assembly, you used to have to assemble everything. I"ve done about a dozen of them now on all types of chillers PCV,CVHB.CVHE&F star delta and soft start even put one on a carrier 19D .Once you have done a few it gets easier I can do one now in 30 hrs or so. The new automotive connectors also help cut down on install time.Graham Trane tech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast