Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: txv v.s. fixed

TXV advantages: Protects equipment better; Keeps overall efficiency higher; Allows homeowner to keep it colder inside without as much risk of damaging compressor.

TXV disadvantages: Costs more; problematic if it isn't installed correctly.

Orifice advantage: Cheaper; Less likely problems with the orifice itself.

Orifice disadvantage: More likely to allow the compressor to be damaged from liquid refrigerant; Homeowners should not run their air conditioner when it is cool outside else compressor damage may occur; Homeowners should not set the thermostat below 72° else compressor damage may occur; Least efficient metering device.

I'd also recommend going with a TXV.

how do i register in the pro forum?

james, no rucuss caused. You'll get plenty of supporters for the txv with this post.On the new 13 seer equipment, you'll be seeing more txv's. The orifice is old-school, a modified cap tube. Easier isn't always better. If you really believe what you're saying, either you haven't been doing this very long or you've been doing this a real long time un-informed.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

No doubt about it txv rules, fixed restriction drools.
    Saddle Up!

Originally posted by jamessaluda
    jeez...i just joined and i already have caused a rucuss...sorry!
    WELCOME to the show!
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

forget txvs and and flow check pistons i think cap tubes are the best Lol

Analogies

Dynalowrider, betcha you miss the old flathead motors too. And a little spoon sticking down from the crankpin, lets a motor get by without an oil pump. Lawnmower motors do both, at least the cheap ones that don't have to last very long.

Simpler does not always make it better, the newer designs simply have higher performance. While I like antiques for collecting, I vote for modern design when performance matters.

Regards -- Pstu

I have to agree with the fixed. even though you cant acheive the required superheat{ which is a game invented by the goverment} service for the tech and consumer is much more feasible.
    Your profile says you are a service manager and yet you actually believe a fixed orifice is better than a txv? What kind of service techs do you have? If they rely on your answers to help them then I feel sorry for them and your customers. Don't mean to bash you but you need to learn more about the advantages of having a txv, especially since all new equipment will have them from the factory. Why do you suppose they do that?

i was just being a smart azz i love txvs i think they are the greatest thing out ther flow check pistons are ok. its funny i was at a carrier meeting with the regional rep in my area and they said originally they werent going to give warranty on their new units (13 seer) if installed with cap tube coil or a piston but they said after lab testing they decided that the pistons performed better than they thought so they decided to give warranty on them but the refuse to give a seer rating and you only get a one year on the comp if you hook it to a cap tube coil and they guaranteed us that we will have compressor problems

If TXV metering is needed for specific operational purposes, then a TXV is best for that system and should be installed.

If piston metering is able to do the job without creating issues due to operational needs, then a piston is going to last a lot longer without troubles and should be used.

This is like asking if slicks or knobby tires are better; it depends on the conditions.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

No, please don't register as a "pro". You're not qualified. Anybody that thinks fixed metering devices are better than TXV's shouldn't be allowed to register as a "pro".
    WHY?

Originally posted by Special Ed
    No, please don't register as a "pro". You're not qualified. Anybody that thinks fixed metering devices are better than TXV's shouldn't be allowed to register as a "pro".
    Define "better". I for one would rather have the simplicity of a fixed metering device on a system that does not require to have a constant superheat. Do I have to give up my pro status?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Robo, you really need to stick to the ARP section, you're giving politically correct replies in the res section.
    Are you really going to back an orifice over a txv? I know you know better,as does everyone else.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast