Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New HVAC System for my home. Whats the best?

I need to replace my heating and ac in my home. I'm not sure which system to go with. Trane, Goodman, American Standard. Through searching the web it sounds like most aren't reliable. Any help out there?

Quote Originally Posted by fhayden View Post
    I need to replace my heating and ac in my home. I'm not sure which system to go with. Trane, Goodman, American Standard. Through searching the web it sounds like most aren't reliable. Any help out there?
    You need to become a smarter shopper. The sales person who comes into your home from each company from which you request a quote is going to be telling you a lot more about the job they'll do and the work ethics of the company than you can imagine, if you know for what to look during the conversation and presentation. Read the attached information and you'll be a much more informed shopper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

ty

I will read this. But I was also wanting to know about reliability in a brand name.

Brand does NOT matter....period....

The installation trumps any brand....

You can go to consumer reports and read all you want to...... but....it ALL comes down to the installation!!!!!! These systems are NOT APPLIANCES...they need to be integrated into your home.

Carrier, Lennox, Trane, in that order
    Total Energy Management, inc

Most furnaces and AC/HP units on the market today are made pretty much the same. Actually if I remember correctly there are about 45 brands made by just 7 major manufacturers much the same as the appliance field has become.
    My recommendation? Based on 30+ years of experience is to get the best warranty, from the best contractor (in new construction that'll be the trick), installed in a quality manner along with the best follow up if you have questions or problems.
    If your contractor is only contacted by the cell phone in his pocket, and working from his pickup because he USED to work for a "big" company and is now on his own starting out by doing new construction, then my personal recommendation is to get an experienced contractor from a fully licensed and insured company who'll give you a quality installation, with the best warranties in the business along with follow up if you have a problem.
    Another minor point....just because a "manufacturer" spends the most amount of money to advertise their brand does NOT make that brand made to a higher quality standard than any other brand. Based on our expierience it will affect the PRICE of that brand (someone pays for this advertising!). And the same widely advertised brand may also have the same equipment sold under another brand name at a lower price because of the lower amount of advertising.

P.S. As to the "internet opinions" about numerous brands.....take this for what it is...very few folks post because they are "happy" with the brand they used. Almost all post will be negative regardless of brand. If you find a lot of negative posts relating to the HVAC contractor, then take the time to get his side of things. Negative posts on the internet about any brand are very common!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
    Oh come on, 4-5 years ago the house I'm currently in had a Weather King or Comfort King or some cheesy system in it and the resounding answer on this forum was 'Ditch it for' ... and some of those very answers came from very respected people on this board with many thousands of posts. Unless things have radically changed in 1/2 a decade, surely there are some feelings one way or the other with regards to brand reliability? I'm not asking about my comfort, as that is more predicated on the tech and the install, I'm asking about what tends to generate service calls and create expense/drama.
    I chose carrier/bryant/payne because the local support is great. I could have chosen different brands because in my area there are a few more that had great customer service for me. Payne has terrible consumer reports because it's mainly installed by homewarranty companies.... same design....just as reliable as flagship brand carrier.....

Like previous post, most of the components are only made by a hand-full of manufacturers.

jopopsy and peanut2004

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

I was also thinking about using Mini-splits in the basement. Any thoughts on that, na or good?

You can put mini-splits anywhere. They vary their output using inverter technology so over sizing is less of an issue (though they still need to be properly sized) and there is zero duct loss. For a basement they're ideal.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by isuredo View Post
    Carrier, Lennox, Trane, in that order
    This is an example of a post based on opinion only not on fact. He's obviously a Carrier dealer.

In stark contrast to this post is Wahoo's & it is far & away the most reliable, honest & factual of the two. Obviously, Wahoo is far more intelligent than isuredo.
    WHY?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast