Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    39

    Double Shot of CO please


    Not only was the adjacent unit blowing Flue Gas into it's Fresh Air Hood the heat exchanger had holes in it.
    Stupid me, I didn't notice the redone gas piping.
    You can see the back unit had a riser, there was a pile of them in the corner.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Near New orleans
    Posts
    123
    Might need to repost i can't blow up the pic to see

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by crowemagnum View Post
    Might need to repost i can't blow up the pic to see
    Didn't I see that photo in the Danny vs Predator movie in the beef freezer? Can't tell 'cause can't see too much...

    Try saving as a jpeg and using the upload feature...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    GTA, ON
    Posts
    1,273
    You can put it up on a photo hosting site and then use the [ img] and [ /img] tags around the direct link to the picture, just no spaces inside the square brackets, I put them in there so the forum software doesn't process "and" as a link to a pic. It would look like this (just without the spaces): [ img]http://www.any-photo-hosting-site.com/picture.jpg[ /img]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    39

    Another try


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,379
    What about drip legs ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,469
    Ah yes.....that's what I like to see.....won't be going home early tomorrow.....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    What about drip legs ?
    Might not be necessary,not allowed here if exposed to freezing temps.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    S.W. Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjames View Post
    Might not be necessary,not allowed here if exposed to freezing temps.
    .......???????........

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,379
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjames View Post
    Might not be necessary,not allowed here if exposed to freezing temps.
    Could someone pull the code on this one ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,225
    Both the IFGC and NFPA 54 require sediment traps on all gas utilization equipment except lumaires, washers, ranges and dryers.

    Drips on the other hand are used only where there is wet gas. These shall be provided at the outlet of the meter and anywhere condensate could collect.

    IRC G2419.9 (IFGC 408.3) ..."a drip shall not be located where the condensate is subject tofreezing.

    A drip is located inside the building a foot from the meter entry. Sediment traps are located at each appliance. They are NOT the same, as I have been repeatedly explaining here and in every technical discussion on traps I find. Those traps that are missing from exterior appliances are a code violation for Not being there. You AHJs need to re-read the code books and learn the difference between a 'drip' and a 'trap'. It would also help if everyone eradicated those terms "drip leg" and "dirt leg" from their lexicon and substituted "sediment trap" , which is their legal name.

    If you leave off a sediment trap or fail to notify a client of one missing and there is an incident with damages or injuries then you will be liable even if your ignorant AHJ told you not to install them. He does not have the legal capacity to diminish the code and those traps are required by all mfrs and both gas codes. Install them. Done

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,379
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Both the IFGC and NFPA 54 require sediment traps on all gas utilization equipment except lumaires, washers, ranges and dryers.

    Drips on the other hand are used only where there is wet gas. These shall be provided at the outlet of the meter and anywhere condensate could collect.

    IRC G2419.9 (IFGC 408.3) ..."a drip shall not be located where the condensate is subject tofreezing.

    A drip is located inside the building a foot from the meter entry. Sediment traps are located at each appliance. They are NOT the same, as I have been repeatedly explaining here and in every technical discussion on traps I find. Those traps that are missing from exterior appliances are a code violation for Not being there. You AHJs need to re-read the code books and learn the difference between a 'drip' and a 'trap'. It would also help if everyone eradicated those terms "drip leg" and "dirt leg" from their lexicon and substituted "sediment trap" , which is their legal name.

    If you leave off a sediment trap or fail to notify a client of one missing and there is an incident with damages or injuries then you will be liable even if your ignorant AHJ told you not to install them. He does not have the legal capacity to diminish the code and those traps are required by all mfrs and both gas codes. Install them. Done
    heartman,
    Thanks for the heads up. So i grabbed a Carrier IOM off my desk and it shows a sediment trap with drip leg wordage as well.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Near New orleans
    Posts
    123
    Finally someone takes the time to explain. Were i live I have never seen a trap before any appliance like i see people nagging about on this site. I just tought it was a northern thing fo the cold. THX. Plummers here are responsible for the gas line all we have to do is stub out with a piece of flex.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event