+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does size matter?

Post Likes

How much does size matter?

Just starting a new service business. I am glad I found this site the info from the guys in the "real world" as we used to say will be very helpful I'm sure. I just retired from a school system maintenance department gravy train and now have to go to work.

Planning on just service for now and starting to look at trucks. Was hoping you guys could help me. I'm torn between try to go small and save gas, or get size and power and forget the gas. I'm afraid if I go small, and find out later I need to upgrade, I will end up losing more than I could have saved.

Post Likes
    Do you have any customers? What about advertising, License, Insurance hello need more info. There is more than just quitting your job and buying a truck. Besides the big truck payment, do you have tools?

Post Likes
    Didnt quit, I retired with 28 years. Dont have any customers, havnt advertised, just got State certification last Thursday. Your post is welcome but doesnt have much info on the original question.

Post Likes
    You've got to balance it out. What Geo radius do you plan are servicing normally? And not having a fleet to draw on what vehicle will serve your all round needs for the near future? Get a small utility trailer to haul stuff with so you don't trash your work truck.

Post Likes
    I have express 3500's for my techs. Mainly because they do heavy industrial work. Other than showing up and helping I don't need many tools to carry myself. But I do take care of my clients houses as well and I do run all kinds of calls.

To make a long story short, I do just fine running service from a quad cab colorado, saves me some gas.
    Techson Mechanical LLC
    "We Shall Mount Up Wings As Eagles"

Post Likes
    Once I am contacted by the State and get my license squared away I plan on contacting the school system administration to talk about a prevention contract, though that cant be counted on at this point. If it did happen its a pretty spread out system (40 miles to the furthest school from my starting point). Mainly changing filters for them and checking belts. In addition to that I would need to stock the usual parts, tools for regular repairs. Obviously the truck needs to be big enough to carry these but I was looking at some of the trucks like I see the telephone company using with the bed having the door in the back and doors on the side that lift up. I think most of those type beds can be used with six cylinder trucks and the ladder racks are not as high and come built in with the bed. Actually I dont mean to use the term "bed", its more like a drop in thing.

I am a little bit concerned about going that route and finding out I dont have enough room. But I am also concerned about getting a humungus van and paying out the butt for fuel.

I know its hard for you to help much with such a question as this. Sometimes I just think out loud. Appreciate all replies.

Residential and light commercial service.
    Last edited by Tech it out; 02-13-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Adding info

Post Likes
    If your starting out and will be doing residential and service only, with a condenser or air handler once in a while, you shouldn't need a lot of room. It can, take years to establish, but that depends on the advertising, word of mouth (The best customers) and exposure (Cards, name on truck, getting out there and just being on the road, etc).

Options are;

1. Ford transit connect van (used or new) with a decent cargo room for service and cargo rating around 1,600 lbs. Good on gas, easy to get around. Has a small engine and in very hilly or mountainous terrain- that could be a problem? You would want a trailer if you were to install equipment though.

2. 1/2 ton truck. I've used these forever. I wouldn't even consider a 6 cyl, the V8 will give better mileage with the weight you'll be carrying and last longer. I always get the work truck package with a rating of at least 1,800 payload. I have no problem hauling equipment, get over 70k - 90k miles on tires, gas mileage with my F150 is about 16-17 average. At 150k miles it has never been in the shop and I expect 200k at least. I carry all the tools and extras and use a tommy lift as well as use a trailer at times.

3. 3/4 ton truck. Lower mileage, but will carry more weight. For service work this is ok in my opinion, but not necessary.

4. Full size Cargo Van. These are probably the best. I don't use one because of having to wear my knees out getting in and out, can't load the big systems in and the mileage- not to mention the noise that drove me nuts when I had one. The mileage stinks and it's hard to make repairs on the engine. The tommy lift is a "In the way" item too. You may need a trailer.

If you buy new, the truck gets you more capacity for weight, and you may not need a trailer, the Transit van is better on gas.
    I'm moving soon to 90% service and I'm considering the Transit van, but I will keep the truck.

I think all we can do is give opinions- you know what your requirements are and what you'll be doing, so it's a tough call.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    If your starting out and will be doing residential and service only, with a condenser or air handler once in a while, you shouldn't need a lot of room. It can, take years to establish, but that depends on the advertising, word of mouth (The best customers) and exposure (Cards, name on truck, getting out there and just being on the road, etc).

Options are;

1. Ford transit connect van (used or new) with a decent cargo room for service and cargo rating around 1,600 lbs. Good on gas, easy to get around. Has a small engine and in very hilly or mountainous terrain- that could be a problem? You would want a trailer if you were to install equipment though.

2. 1/2 ton truck. I've used these forever. I wouldn't even consider a 6 cyl, the V8 will give better mileage with the weight you'll be carrying and last longer. I always get the work truck package with a rating of at least 1,800 payload. I have no problem hauling equipment, get over 70k - 90k miles on tires, gas mileage with my F150 is about 16-17 average. At 150k miles it has never been in the shop and I expect 200k at least. I carry all the tools and extras and use a tommy lift as well as use a trailer at times.

3. 3/4 ton truck. Lower mileage, but will carry more weight. For service work this is ok in my opinion, but not necessary.

4. Full size Cargo Van. These are probably the best. I don't use one because of having to wear my knees out getting in and out, can't load the big systems in and the mileage- not to mention the noise that drove me nuts when I had one. The mileage stinks and it's hard to make repairs on the engine. The tommy lift is a "In the way" item too. You may need a trailer.

If you buy new, the truck gets you more capacity for weight, and you may not need a trailer, the Transit van is better on gas.
    I'm moving soon to 90% service and I'm considering the Transit van, but I will keep the truck.

I think all we can do is give opinions- you know what your requirements are and what you'll be doing, so it's a tough call.
    Thanks. I agree the 8 cylinder is probably the way to go. Not considering a cargo van for the same reasons. I dont particularly need to go new at this point I think. Will be looking for something within 4 yrs old though. Transit van is a thought but its still a van. Thanks for the input!

Post Likes
    I forgot about the original question.

Yes- size matters.
    Too small and it is inadequate for the job, too big and you can't find a space big enough to park it.

Post Likes
    Do you do have all the tools for the trade like recovery machine, vacuum pump, torches, gauges etc.?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    Do you do have all the tools for the trade like recovery machine, vacuum pump, torches, gauges etc.?
    Not everything yet, have to pick up a torch set (been using the one from work on side jobs, er um,,I mean when I had to fix something around the house) and recovery equipment. Have accumulated most of the little stuff already over the years.

Post Likes
    For me personally, a regular wheelbase 1-ton van fits the bill. I lucked out and found a used GMC Savana Pro for a fair price. The side doors that open to access shelving are priceless to me. I hardly ever crawl around in the van to get parts, and since it is so easy to put things away on the outside, my floor space always stays wide open so I have plenty of room to haul equipment on any given day. Driving like I have an egg under my foot, and coasting to as many stop signs and lights as I can, I get about 12.7 mpg in the winter, and about 13.8mpg in the summer. It's not the best. I've gotten as low as high 10's mpg when I didn't care how I was driving it.

I'm a one man show though (60/40 service/install), and am thinking of getting an HHR panel for service, just to help save on gas and wear and tear on the van (EVERYTHING is more expensive on the van to maintain/replace). It has 170K miles on it now, and if I can reduce the driving on it, I think I could get about 5 more years out of it easy since it's been maintained. Maybe more.

Like we all are, i'm still juggling it around in my head to see what will make the most financial sense. A little Hyundai hatchback would be a cheap, durable option for a service/sales call vehicle, but am not sure how un-professional it would look, even if it were logo'd.

Post Likes
    You make good points for a van Eaallred, side doors would be a must. The noise is a big thing for me personally. Maybe if put in something to separate the cab from the rest of the van it would be okay.

Post Likes
    Your best bet is find a little four banger and run that into the ground until you build your business,a good key in business is keep a low overhead. Oh and have you rwife do thye paperwork' they love all that stuff makes them feel like they are the boss- which they are.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    Your best bet is find a little four banger and run that into the ground until you build your business,a good key in business is keep a low overhead. Oh and have you rwife do thye paperwork' they love all that stuff makes them feel like they are the boss- which they are.
    Yeah she retires in the next five years or less so she will handle all of that at that time. No more than I expect to do in the short run I will keep up with myself, or try to. She works too hard now to come home to another job. I will get her to do some along the way just to be learning and keeping up with things.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech it out View Post
    The noise is a big thing for me personally. Maybe if put in something to separate the cab from the rest of the van it would be okay.
    Might be like working in a bell factory (you don't hear the bells after a while). I don't notice the rattles and stuff in my work van. Everything has it's place and is put away. The narrow shelf I made for my 4" aluminum flue parts has a towel laying in it to keep that stuff quiet, other than that I haven't done anything.

A friend of mine told me on his old van he put up a piece of carpet to the cab divider in his old work van and it made a huge difference in both noise and keeping the cab temperature more comfortable. I don't want to put a piece of carpet up in my van though. The look of it would kill me too much. lol

Post Likes
    One of the vans from my old job had a metal divider in it. The guy that used it put up plexiglass over the holes. Something like that might work okay. I could always have a killer stereo system in it to drown out the noise! Might need to remember to cut the volume down before rolling up in a driveway though. Might create the wrong perception!

Seriously after thinking about it I guess I couldnt rule out a van. They do have some good positive factors and Im sure you are right about not hearing it after awhile.

Post Likes
    I am a one man show and i use a chevy astro cargo van for service. It gets about 17 mpg with a 24 gallon tank. I also have a 12 foot enclosed trailer that i pull for installs. Great setup i think

Post Likes
    What did you do for shelves for it?

Post Likes
    Tech it came outfitted with shelves and refrigerant racks and safety cage from adrian steel. Adrian steel outfits alot of work vsns

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in