Thread: VRF systems

VRF systems

I get the generic VRF concept. But can someone please give a more detailed outloook ?

My friend who works in HVAC industry (Services chillers) says that people are going for VRFs "blindly" and in a couple of years the frenzy will slow down when the "issues of VRFs start to surface" - any idea what he is talking abt? Was he just being hopeful (since he deals with chillers) or is he on to something?

Can you guys suggest some write ups on VRFs.

Whats a VRF? Did you mean a VFD?

I Googled VRF and got this....

What is VRF?

Variable refrigerant flow (vrf) also known as variable refrigerant volume (vrv).

This type of system consists of a number of air handling units (possibly up to 48) connected to a modular external condensing unit.

The refrigerant flow is varied using either an inverter controlled variable speed compressor, or multiple compressors of varying capacity in response to changes in the cooling or heating requirement within the air conditioned space.
    A sophisticated control system enables switching between the heating and cooling modes
    In more sophisticated versions, the indoor units may operate in heating or cooling mode independently of others
    This latter arrangement offers potential energy savings when heating and cooling are required simultaneously in different zones
    This type of system requires no internal plant room space and offers great flexibility through the many types of air handling units available
    Applications vary from office, retail, hotel, luxury apartments, industrial, new and retrofitted buildings
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Quote Originally Posted by jcistc View Post
    I get the generic VRF concept. But can someone please give a more detailed outloook ?

My friend who works in HVAC industry (Services chillers) says that people are going for VRFs "blindly" and in a couple of years the frenzy will slow down when the "issues of VRFs start to surface" - any idea what he is talking abt? Was he just being hopeful (since he deals with chillers) or is he on to something?

Can you guys suggest some write ups on VRFs.
    http://www.daikin.com/global_ac/products/vrv/

had a large system installed in a school in SC. in the past 2 years had some pro and cons but it works ok, i think you will see a lot more of this . Its not going away..

Here's more from another major player:

http://www.lg-vrf.com/

J

Thank you guys . was helpful.