Basement ducts too low.

Hi there,

This should be a very easy question. I'm trying to finish one room in the basement, about 11' x 8'. The ceiling is about 6'9" - 6'10". There are 2 air ducts on the ceiling coming from the furnace. From the bottom of the duct to the floor measures 6'2" (my height). I would like to add at least 3" so I can stand up properly.

-The ducts measure 7" x 18" (126 square inches).
    -I figure I can replace them with ducts which are 4" x 31.5" (126 square inches) so I can stand up in the room.

Then I can finish off the room by insulating/drywalling the ceiling, and covering or painting the vents that stick out.

I would like to know how much it would cost to replace and what is the best course of action.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flypants View Post
    Hi there,

This should be a very easy question. I'm trying to finish one room in the basement, about 11' x 8'. The ceiling is about 6'9" - 6'10". There are 2 air ducts on the ceiling coming from the furnace. From the bottom of the duct to the floor measures 6'2" (my height). I would like to add at least 3" so I can stand up properly.

-The ducts measure 7" x 18" (126 square inches).
    -I figure I can replace them with ducts which are 4" x 31.5" (126 square inches) so I can stand up in the room.

Then I can finish off the room by insulating/drywalling the ceiling, and covering or painting the vents that stick out.

I would like to know how much it would cost to replace and what is the best course of action.

Thanks
    Each piece of duct is going to have to be custom fabricated. Whenever it's custom, it gets reletively expensive.
    Not to mention the special transistions, reconnecting the heat runs to the new duct.

I doubt you'll have good airflow.

You're gonna need to have a professional come out to look at the job, and give you an estimate.

There's to many open variables to even come close to giving you an estimate, not to mention we don't give pricing on this site at all.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Why wouldn't there be good airflow if the area is exactly the same

Tech it out, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by flypants View Post
    Why wouldn't there be good airflow if the area is exactly the same
    Because you don't actually have air flow in the corners of the duct. The less depth, the greater the area of no air flow becomes. Also, because you increase the surace area of the duct, which also increases the resistance to air flow. So hat a 4X32 duct becomes only able to handle the air flow of a 7X15 duct. Or roughly a loss of 150 CFM.

In reality, ist even more then that. A ductulator is for a ratio of 7:1 max. And 4X32 is more then 7:1, so you would lose more air flow then my ductulator says.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

beenthere is right on target. I've seen it done and the airflow goes to nothing. I'd recommend you consider moving the main trunk to one side of the basement where you don't normally walk. It's a complete re-do of the system but this is the time to have it done properly for even airflow. Especially if you're going to heat/cool the basement. I won't rail on about finished basements.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!