Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tech school

tech school

I am currently enrolled at Centura College in Columbia,S.C. This mod i am takeing indoor air quality and selling air purification systems.Also sizing ductwork and units properly.Ihad a sales presentation on selling a customer a new high efficiency unit and ductwork. The problem was compressor was not working,the unit was 20 years old.How would you do on a call like this.Imade A.

tech school should not be teachiong you to sell .they should be teaching you towork on the equipment. it is a salesmans job to make sales not a tech.

I SUPPOSE YOU JUST WOULD HAVE CHANGED THE COMPRESSOR.INSTEAD OF SEEING A15 PERCENT INCREASE FROM THE SALE AND I AM ON 2 THE NEXT CALL WHILE U ARE CHASING DOWN A COMPRESSOR FOR A 20 YEAR OLD UNIT .

Quote Originally Posted by royd2 View Post
    tech school should not be teachiong you to sell .they should be teaching you towork on the equipment. it is a salesmans job to make sales not a tech.

WHY CARGE THE CUSTOMER FOR A COMPRESSOR ON A 20 YEAR OLD UNIT.YOU GUYS ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT CUSTOMER AT ALL.SEEMS U LIKE GOING BACK NEXT WEEK TO FIX SOMETHING ELSE.THEN YOUR GOING TO LOSE CUSTOMER.NO DIFFERENT FROM WHEN A CAR BREAKS DOWN AFTER THE WARRANTY .ONE THING HAPPENS THAN ANOTHER AFTER 100000 MILE WARRANTY

Quote Originally Posted by hewitt View Post
    WHY CARGE THE CUSTOMER FOR A COMPRESSOR ON A 20 YEAR OLD UNIT.YOU GUYS ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT CUSTOMER AT ALL.SEEMS U LIKE GOING BACK NEXT WEEK TO FIX SOMETHING ELSE.THEN YOUR GOING TO LOSE CUSTOMER.NO DIFFERENT FROM WHEN A CAR BREAKS DOWN AFTER THE WARRANTY .ONE THING HAPPENS THAN ANOTHER AFTER 100000 MILE WARRANTY
    I've successfully and properly repaired units TWICE that age and had no problems doing so.

I also had no call-backs.

I will agree with you to a limited extent that equipment does have a service life and does ultimately need to be replaced, but I disagree that tech schools should be teaching this.

It creates an environment where sales skills are more important that good, solid technical skills.

A sad day for this skilled trade, indeed.

BY THE WAY, HEWITT, YOU DO NOT NEED TO YELL.

THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF YOUR KEYBOARD.

and they wonder why nobody will hire these guys right out of school?

Quote Originally Posted by hewitt View Post

Thanks for the opinions.All were helpful.Apologize for the caps log button .Didn't relize it was on until halfway threw.

Centura ehh? Sounds about right. I work with two gentlemen that taught there for a brief period, both left because of curricula like the above being pushed. It's crap like this that gives us customers the impression of all contractors being shady crooks.

Great hands on.You have to put in the effort in order to be successful.

I was impressed with the school at the first part of the post, until I got to the sales part. In no way should a school be teaching sales. If the contractor you end up with wants you to be a salesman he can send you to a course for that specific thing. The school should be teaching you good fundamentals of troubleshooting, providing some hands on soldering techniques, safety and some math.

This is an indication that the majority of contractors out there are pushing sales over service much like car salesmen. I wouldn't work for any of them either!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast