Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Does primary secondary piping reduce efficiency

a couple of quotes directly from Quietside 2009 DPW Installation Technical.

"Quietside DPWH can only make 176 DegF MAXIMUM inside the unit – Typically temperature delivered into the loop is approx 165 DegF
    We recommend designing system for a loop ∆T of 20 to 25 DegF to allow the system to inject enough 160/165 DegF water into the loop to maintain temperature and comfort"

"Return temps above 140 DegF back to the DPW significantly reduce efficiency and condensate production"

"DPW Water Piping
    WE MUST PIPE THE UNIT AS FOLLOWS, NO IF’S, AND’S OR BUT’S

With a PRIMARY/SECONDARY LOOP with the unit injecting hot water into the secondary loop to be circulated by the loop pump(s)"
    (due to the fact that the pre installed pump may not be able to overcome the loops)

Their design recommends that the primary loop will put out 160-165 degree water and you should design your loops with a delta T of 20-25. So the return water on the secondary loop may be 140 it will then mix with the primary loop of 160. So the water returning to the boiler is maybe 150? but they tell us that "Return temps above 140 DegF back to the DPW significantly reduce efficiency and condensate production"

It seems as though P/S piping can or will cause reduced efficiency.

QUIETSIDE IN GENERAL

I have been selling Quietside Boilers for two years. The biggest problem I have had is a broken temp gauge. I see problems listed but most of them are on the discontinued oil boiler. Customer Tech service is great and parts if needed are shipped the same day. Please watch gas pressure it is critical!

Inherent Problems

Quote Originally Posted by LEGIN View Post
    I have been selling Quietside Boilers for two years. The biggest problem I have had is a broken temp gauge. I see problems listed but most of them are on the discontinued oil boiler. Customer Tech service is great and parts if needed are shipped the same day. Please watch gas pressure it is critical!
    Firstly, my experience in hvac predates many of you here....I still remember the old gas fired residential chillers, Clare-Hecla atmospheric furnaces, and special permits AND "startup capacitor line controls", when few people had air conditioning!
    My first install of a QVM9-125 was an LP fired unit at a northern cottage under construction, and we read, re-read, and re-confirmed any questions we had with Quietside support, making sure that the installation was exactly as unit designed, with well water, extreme variations in cold weather conditions, and volumetric volatility in the LP fuel itself.
    The primary/secondary loop is critical in design, the highest efficiencies are attained when the return water temperatures are below 130 degrees F., which allows the unit to "condense" large amounts of condensation, and allowing the variable gas controls, to "balance" the atmospheric pressures, which change on an hourly basis!
    IF the return water temps are above 140 degrees, the system DOES NOT CONDENSE, and the return flow controls sense this, and 'cycle" the unit!
    SECOND, the supply water MUST be free, of calcium,iron,and coarse sediment....NOT learning this, is a recipe for continuous disaster....IF you're on well water, or hard city water, the water MUST BE TREATED!! ,and softened!
    Third, sizing......in the past, we ALL tended to "oversize" as a comfort level, and THIS TOO, must be perceived differently!!
    I have one particular install, in Toronto, where the house is 2860 square feet, and the QVM9-125 EASILY supplies the home with all the heat it requires, PLUS, supplies ALL the domestic hot water needed, for a 5 GIRL HEAVY DEMAND FAMILY, plus a dad, and when we "advised" them that "up-sizing" to the next unit up, was a bad idea, they "balked" but "listened" to our advice, and are happy as larks....the system has saved them almost 20% of their demand requirements in hydro and fuel costs.
    This is "new" technology, that has been proven for over 50 years, overseas, and to be honest, it's US that need the "adjusting and tweaking", and not the equipment.
    However, the early model QV series DID HAVE their problems, and I've yet to hear that support turned them away, IF all their "obligations" were met!
    Just my humble opinion.......

Never Again! Getting parts for these units are like pulling teeth! Older water heaters didnt come with freezer protection, heat exchangers froze and cracked. Could build a better unit with Lego.

Check out their BBB rating @ www.bbb.org/quietside

Quote Originally Posted by fd3687 View Post
    Never Again! Getting parts for these units are like pulling teeth! Older water heaters didnt come with freezer protection, heat exchangers froze and cracked. Could build a better unit with Lego.
    is TempMizer done??

Check out their BBB rating @ www.bbb.org/quietside
    interesting how a business can be "painted" with 2 comments.....

They no longer carry Quietside.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyflowerguy View Post
    interesting how a business can be "painted" with 2 comments.....
    That's in the last 6 months.

They no longer carry Quietside.
    do you know why, and it's not what you think.....

IF these were built in the US or Canada, they WOULD be "better" of course, however, everyone wants "cheaper", and now that we HAVE "cheaper" we are getting what we paid for!
    This technology should NEVER have been sent off to S.Korea for the build process, and it took a long time for their factory to "understand" the implications of what they were building...thus, the crappy earlier products!
    The newer DPW's are a marvellous improvement, but, I have NOT had the same "experiences" as you have had.....all my units are performing as intended, and YES, it is tough getting parts for ANY kind of equipment, that's been taken out of production...in ANY field.

QVM9 error code 02

I have had a Quietside QVM9 in the house now for over 7 years. Every year, something goes wrong.
    This winter, the unit would randmonly not fire up, even though the FR-5 thermostat said everything was on. I would have to manually turn off the heat and then turn it back on to get it to fire.
    A serviceman came over to investigate the problem and he concluded that the 3-way valve may have been the problem. I had a spare one (from previous repair dramas), and he installed it. Now, I get the 02 error code, at first fairly regularly, and now, every time there is a call for heat. It was -50 with the wind chill last night and will be close to that tonight.

The serviceman came back and purged the system of any air, made sure the water temps were up, and generally checked the valves per the troubleshooting guide. It hasn't done any good.

I'm waiting for a new serviceman to call Quietside. Any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.

I'm hoping it can be fixed, relatively cheaply, so that I can replace this POS once the weather warms up.

Quote Originally Posted by garrysyk View Post
    I have had a Quietside QVM9 in the house now for over 7 years. Every year, something goes wrong.
    This winter, the unit would randmonly not fire up, even though the FR-5 thermostat said everything was on. I would have to manually turn off the heat and then turn it back on to get it to fire.
    A serviceman came over to investigate the problem and he concluded that the 3-way valve may have been the problem. I had a spare one (from previous repair dramas), and he installed it. Now, I get the 02 error code, at first fairly regularly, and now, every time there is a call for heat. It was -50 with the wind chill last night and will be close to that tonight.

The serviceman came back and purged the system of any air, made sure the water temps were up, and generally checked the valves per the troubleshooting guide. It hasn't done any good.

I'm waiting for a new serviceman to call Quietside. Any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.

I'm hoping it can be fixed, relatively cheaply, so that I can replace this POS once the weather warms up.
    this is an "aha" moment.....I had a similar problem with one of my QVM installs, and you will NOT believe what the problem was....the built in circ pump, was spinning up in reverse...I "proved it" to myself....pulled the pump off, pulled the pump housing apart, sent power to it, and sure enough, the impeller was spinning in reverse of what it's supposed to......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast