Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Frown

We paid to have a Quietside boiler install in our home. In less than a year we are on our 2nd boiler. They have literally rotted off the wall. The contractor has washed it's hands of us and Quietside has not responded. We have not had on demand hot water for 2 months. We have to run our heat to have hot water. It's just a matter of time before we no longer have heat. Any suggestions?

I installed a Quietside boiler in 1 house and found it was a POS. I want to take it out and put in a Munchkin or Solo but, the HO has already tied up to much in this thing. My advice is to take it out and replace it with one of the above.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Or a Weil-McLain Ultra, my personal favorite. Sorry about your nightmare experience. If I were your contractor and had washed my hands of you in less than a year I think I would be expecting to be served with a summons any day now.

send them back to korea in the trunks of all of their kia's

Sorry for your bad experience. Is the SUMMER button on the FR-5 controller depressed?

Assuming that it was installed correctly.....I would bet you had an old unit....maybe 2001? Check the serial number on the unit. It contains the year of production in it. It's my understanding that older Quietsides may have known defective parts, and are still being shipped to and/or sold by wholesalers to unknowing contractors.

Let me guess...bad 3-way valve, bunk low water cut-off/flow sensor, maybe a bad pump or all of the above??

Oh yeah...can't get a live person at their office either? Not unusual. One would think that (from their response) we were the only installing contractor that had any problems with the units.

According to them, these issues are taken care of in their newer units (I'm guessing 2004 or later??). Who knows.

Did the contractor get the replacement unit for you and replace it? If so, do you know if the manufacturer paid them for their labor to install the 2nd unit (to fix Quietside's problem)? Please let us know.

Just remember this....Quietside(aka SAMSUNG) are the one's with the deep pockets...not the contractor.

[Edited by dchvac on 05-03-2006 at 01:32 AM]

Quietside QVM9 not such a good product

I installed a QVM9-090 in Nov. of 2004. In the spring of 2008 problems started. The short of it is, I am not getting sufficient flow through the heat exchanger to allow the flow switch to close. The tech. from Quietside has now sent me 3 flow switches to try (although I didn't feel that was an issue-when manually swung the end switch closed fine), 2 pumps (the first ohm reading was 1.04 and tech said should be around .74, the new pump's ohm reading was .54, and a new control board. All these items are now out of warranty, but he warrantied them anyways, must have had issues like this in the past. System still does not close the flow switch and errors out on the control a #2 - flow switch open. When bypassing the flow switch, the system fires flawlessly and runs smooth, for about 10 seconds, until the insufficient flow overheats the unit. I piped the system primary/secondary, and connected the domestic hot water flat plate. There is also a hole that has burned through the aluminum exhaust collector just below the point of terminating the unit. The connections and construction of this unit looked poor when I installed it, but if figured I would give a chance, amazingly, the o-ring slip connections have worked quite well for the most part.
    I have not left my customer out in the cold, well perhaps temporarily, I removed the system and am planing to take it to my supply house the first of the week for some kind of resolution.
    On another note, I just finished installing a Prestige Triangle tube mod/con boiler - 1st class work of art. I give it 2 thumbs up.

Angry Quietside Boiler

We installed a Quietside boiler in mid-2003 and it has been nothing but trouble. Our contractor was here again yesterday to look at the whole system for replacement then handed me a bill for over $xxxx. As many many have found, Quietside is silent and has never responded.

We do not use the domestic water feature and never have. This boiler has had it very easy and still is unreliable. So far we have replaced the flow control, evaporator tank (completely rusted from the inside out), and this spring we had it have it completely dismantled because a $28 gasket at the bottom of the heat exchanger completely dissolved, destroying the interior baffles. Not a single project has been covered by Quietside or the contractor to date.

The unit was very expensive and is nothing but crap.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-07-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Removed price

Quieside at least standed behind boiler

I dealt directily with tech. support at Quietside, and they warrantied the entire boiler. I had found a corroded portion of the heat exchanger. The warranty paperwork states a crack in the heat exchanger. I should receive the new boiler the first of this week, at no charge. I give Kudos to Quietside for helping me out in this matter. Tech. from quietside believes that the manifold pressure got out of calibration, causing the failure. Sounds logical, and I believe I agree with the theory. I couldn't properly verify this due to the current state of the unit, but I'm still not impressed with the product itself. I hope the new unit comes with some engineering updates.

Thumbs up quietside boilers

i have been installing quietside boilers for 8 years installing using primary/secondary pumping with excellent results. customers very happy with low fuel costs and quiet operation. we always tell the customer that a water softner is needed when hard water is used with the flat plate. we also install weilmclain ultra/ peerless pinnacle/ baxi boilers/ carrier bw9/ all the boilers have there little problems but one thing we find servicing other company installations is no one reads the directions that come with the boilers and try to use the boilers on heating systems that were never designed for condensing boilers aka in excess of 140F

my moto is K I S S keep it simple stupid or it will bite you later. dave

I've had experience with Quietside for over 6 years in sales, installation and service on the contractor side and the wholesale side.

Most problems that occur with them are due to the following:
    - installations that are not done per manufacturers instructions (piping)
    - improperly set up combustion
    - water hardness that is outside of recommended levels
    - venting that is not per manufacturers instructions
    - lack of yearly maintenance
    *in certain water conditions the plate heat exchanger for making potable hot water needs to be cleaned at a minimum of once a year if not more often. I clean mine yearly due to mineral build up from my well water. This build up can lead to low flow that will fail to make the flow switch and it can also lead to severely reduced capacity to produce hot water.

The number 1 reason I've found for units that are troublesome are ones where someone tried the old perverbial "pound a round peg into a square hole".

In other words........ proper installation and maintenance will go a long ways towards making anything last longer with less trouble.

As far as the lack of response from Quietside, most manufacturers will not talk to homeowners directly when it involves technical issues due to liability. My experience with Quietside is that their technical people are extremely helpful, but this help needs to go through the proper channels. If you're not getting that help through your contractor find out who the wholesaler is and try there. If they won't deal with you directly find out what other contractors they recommend to deal with issues dealing with Quietside equipment.

I have a QVM9 in my own house and have had only minor issues with it. Considering I have a tendency to "experiment" with my own equipment to great ends I think it's doing great!
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quietside Boiler

I have a 2007 Quietside QWX8 oil boiler. It has failed 8 times since it was installed. We've had to clean the injector each time. The service guys look at it and ask why it's never been cleaned, EACH TIME! The unit is awful. Avoid Quietside and buy anything else.

quietside boiler

reply to quietside clogging sounds like the boiler is not being set up correctly using testo or equiv. test equipment or it could be the wrong nozzel check with the quietside website for the correct size and angle , did anyone check your oil quality ? we have over 100 of these boilers in operation and our customers love the energy savings and quiet operation . system clogging is not a manufacturing problem it is a installation and service issue FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS

quietside web site?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE W View Post
    reply to quietside clogging sounds like the boiler is not being set up correctly using testo or equiv. test equipment or it could be the wrong nozzel check with the quietside website for the correct size and angle , did anyone check your oil quality ? we have over 100 of these boilers in operation and our customers love the energy savings and quiet operation . system clogging is not a manufacturing problem it is a installation and service issue FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS
    so what is that web site ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast