Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    181

    GPS On Vehicles ?

    Just wondering do most employers have GPS on the trucks ? I would like to hear from both employees and employers for input. Such as, Did you see a difference in overall gas usage/hours/overtime/mileage ? Do you get uptight if someone stops for coffee or take the truck out for lunch ? How about bad employees, does GPS seem to phase there bad habits ? How about on the tech side ? Thoughts please ? Seems like GPS is now the norm..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,314
    I do NOT have gps on my vans. I do, however use a fuel management company that makes you input mileage at each fueling and gives me an itemized report of transactions. Yes, it cut down on fuel use dramatically. no more fueling wifey's car. Being a commercal contractor, my guys do a LOT of driving, sometimes in new york, new jersey, pa delaware and MD. If they drive ten miles a day for personal, I wouldnt know it, or to be honest care a whole lot. I know most do not, and one that probably does, but only locally to pick up his dog at daycare. Does it please me? no, but his skills and effort make up for it tenfold, so sometimes you gotta just not know things......

    With regard to sidework, it is against company policy, however, if they really want ot use the company tooling, I allow them to do so, provided they dont make a business out of it. My guys are all seasoned, with over 30 yearsexperience, they are not out hustling side work, when they can make all they want here. There is no overtime policy, meaning they know if they have to work, just do it, I am not a babysitter. They are treated as grown men and act in kind.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    1,088
    We have GPS on our vehicles. At first I hated it. Thought that they just did not trust us. I am a pretty honest guy so I did not understand. I never had a problem using the vehicle after hours but I usually ask first. We got GPS when gas prices were around 4 bucks a gallon. Talking to the owner and he tells me we saved 4 thousand dollars on gas the fist full month with GPS. How do you argue with that. Now they do not micro manage. Go to lunch,supply houses, etc. You just can't go xmas shopping,hang out at your budd's house,etc. Be on time and do not leave early unless of course you have an excuse. I am used to it now. No biggie anymore.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,314
    At 8 miles to the gallon for an average service vehicle, it adds up quickly, especially when gas is 4 bucks. 50 cents a mile to use a truck, not including potential other issues, wear, etc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    I do NOT have gps on my vans. I do, however use a fuel management company that makes you input mileage at each fueling and gives me an itemized report of transactions. Yes, it cut down on fuel use dramatically. no more fueling wifey's car. Being a commercal contractor, my guys do a LOT of driving, sometimes in new york, new jersey, pa delaware and MD. If they drive ten miles a day for personal, I wouldnt know it, or to be honest care a whole lot. I know most do not, and one that probably does, but only locally to pick up his dog at daycare. Does it please me? no, but his skills and effort make up for it tenfold, so sometimes you gotta just not know things......

    With regard to sidework, it is against company policy, however, if they really want ot use the company tooling, I allow them to do so, provided they dont make a business out of it. My guys are all seasoned, with over 30 yearsexperience, they are not out hustling side work, when they can make all they want here. There is no overtime policy, meaning they know if they have to work, just do it, I am not a babysitter. They are treated as grown men and act in kind.
    Sounds like you and your employees have a good thing going...!
    A company I would be proud to work for.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    At 8 miles to the gallon for an average service vehicle, it adds up quickly, especially when gas is 4 bucks. 50 cents a mile to use a truck, not including potential other issues, wear, etc.
    8 miles a gallon!?!?!?!?! Holy !!!! Sounds like you guys need to invest in some new company vehicles... They would pay for themselves in no time. I get normally around 14-15

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    128
    As far as GPS... Have it, don't mind it. No big deal. Its not a tool that I think is NORMALLY used to micro-manage. The company I work for has a substantial amount of techs, so its used as more of a tool for the dispatchers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    42
    I have a gps on my service truck. And, I don't think about it. I go where my job requires and nowhere else. Even, if I didn't have one. I would behave the same. Trust is earned, but when it's lost. It's extremely hard to get a second chance. Everyday, I bypass my daughter school to drop my truck off at home. And, drive 20 minutes in my personal vechicle. Honesty is a great policy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    i like it!
    it helps me remember where i am!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    redlands, ca
    Posts
    47
    GPS is great in keeping track of where every job is actually located and helping geographically challenged dispatchers schedule the techs efficiently.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northeast Illinois
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by airredlands View Post
    GPS is great in keeping track of where every job is actually located and helping geographically challenged dispatchers schedule the techs efficiently.
    Thats how its supposed to work, our diapatch still doesnt have a clue. He watches us like a hawk, the owners get weekly reports on time, speed, idle etc... It doesnt bother me, as I have nothing to hide. There have been a few guys relieved for various reasons.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,314
    8-10 miles per gallon on loaded E250 is average. My guys do heavy commerical work, and are tooled as such. Things often found on their trucks include chain falls, welding machine, an array of pipe wrenches, recovery machines etc. They do both install and sevice, and have full vans. Each van runs on average 5-700 miles per week. with fuel prices being what they are, that equates to between 800-1000 per month on fuel per vehicle. We have accounted for truck cost in our hourly rate, and also charge a mileage fee for all miles traveled. Fuel costs me $.35 per mile, I charge $.74. per mile on top of our rate to cover fuel costs and incidentals.
    With regard to getting better mileage, how exactly would I do that? our oldest truck is a 2009, the rest are 2010 or 2011. it is what it is.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    With regard to getting better mileage, how exactly would I do that? our oldest truck is a 2009, the rest are 2010 or 2011. it is what it is.
    Diesel?

    But it sounds like you do not keep vehicles long enough (time or mileage) for that to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event