Thread: Hot Shot 414B

I have a question.

I have an old r-12 machine and i'm about to convert it over to hotshot 414b. What are peoples thoughts on this? You must charge 80% of the weight and it must be charged in liquid on the high side or low side?

Thanks

I charge liquid on the low side very easy. Don't charge by weight. Use the PT chart and charge by suction pressure for a 20 degree evap.

What brand of machine? Most of the R-12 blends don't work well in ice machines. Two reasons, 1, the glide factor can freeze unevenly 2, they don't produce as much hot gas and that can cause defrost problems. Old Manitowacs seem to be affected more than most, expecially if the evap plating is in poor condition. I've had lots of trouble with the machines I've converted.

I've been told that MP-66 works well but I haven't tried it in ice machines.

Didn't think it was an ice machine. R-12 Ice machine need to go to the landfill, not worth fixing at any price!

Originally posted by rickl
    Didn't think it was an ice machine. R-12 Ice machine need to go to the landfill, not worth fixing at any price!
    Ah, I guess I read that into it somehow. I agree on R-12 ice machines going to dump.

Hmm hot shot

It's a reach in cooler. Cap tube systems

Sorry for getting off on the ice machine tangent. Changethe dryer, pull a vacuum, and weigh the charge in to the high side. Begin with 80% of the R-12 charge. Then start up and check. This thing probably only holds a few ounces and is pretty critical so you might have to tweek the charge a bit to get it right but it should work fine.

Pull the ends of the cap tube and cut off 1" of each end. De-bur each end and re-solder in place. Use a sporlan CAPT-032-S cap drier and point the cap side of the drier down to create a constant liquid seal against the end of the cap tube.

Follow everyone's suggestion for charging @ 80% and let the unit run a bit. A trick is... after it runs a while, unplug the evap fan motor and start the unit back up. Let it run and watch the frost on the suction line. If stops about 6" from the compressor and stays there you will be very close to the correct charge. Adjust the charge until it does then plug the evap fan back in and let come to temp.

Be sure to tag the unit with the new refrig type, date of retrofit and if possible, an amount of new charge. From time to time we will even include running pressures after 15 min.

We're having fun now!

btw... 414B (uses R-22 as a base) will create more condenser heat so make sure they keep the condenser coil clean and if at all possible... good air flow around the box. Any restriction will create more heat than the old R-12 box has ever seen and you will be converting it to a new condensing unit or a new box.

Ice Machine conversion

If you have any further questions or concerns about converting an ice machine to Hot Shot (R-414B), call ICOR at 800-497-6807 and ask for Jamey. He has over 25 years in commercial/industrial ice machine service.