Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Most owners look to several different factors to determine if a new hire is a valued asset, or just another body. A hard fast rule as to number of days isnt really a good barometer. It can often be enough to detemrine that you dont want to keep a tech, but in many cases, not nrearly enough time to determine if he is a long term fit to the organization.

Recently i hired a man with over thirty years of experience in heavy commercial work. I knew him for ten years prior, but he never worked for me. He came to us with a stellar reputation, solid work history, and a general great reputation. It took him over three months to get comfortable. There were times when the guys came to me one on one, and expressed exactly this. "He has x reputation, but we just havent seen him step up".

I was keenly aware of what he was doing, both from the aspect of fitting nto my business on a tech to tech level, and also on the customer level. I cautioned my guys to give him a chance, and let him step up. One day, I went to discuss this ith him in a generic way. I told him that we hired a journeyman, and the guys were wondering when he was going to open up a little and shine like they knew he could. As it turned out, he was just trying to keep a low profile, being in some financial difficulty, he wanted to keep his job. He didnt want to upset anyone.
    In this case, a thirty day rule would have found him unemployed, but I knew he was different than he was being perceived. I gave him the chance to shine, and he is now doing just that.

Guys, there are soooooo many things you, as employees dont know. I can tell you for a fact that if there is an issue with any client, we know about it. We get the calls. If there is an issue at a supply house, we most likely know about it. If you cut someone off, we likely know about it. If a customer feels you devalued a service, we definately know about it. We as owners get the calls. This can be a client who thinks you showing up fifteen minutes late is a problem, or the one who thinks you are leering at women in the workplace. Many places have a three second rule, especially for workers. If you break it by looking at a woman, we hear about it. Sometimes you hear about it too, other times, we know the client is being too sensitive and bury it. All of these things, and more come into play when making decisions, and at the end of the day we make decisions that are for the good of the business as a whole. We understand that we are there to provide a good workplace for our men and women. We understand what it akes to do that. Just because we dont communicate every little detail to you, doesnt mean a thing.

We expect youto go to work each day, repreent yourself as the man you are, act like an invited guest in the home or business of the client, and make both of us money. If you can manage ot do that on a regular basis withno screwups, you will be fairly compensated.

I prove myself everyday. I also try to learn something everyday. As an employee there is nobody harder on myself then me. I also strive to improve those around me. Teaching what I know and learning what you have to offer. I been in this business a few years. I have had some days where I shined and was ready to run in an ask for a raise. Of course I had those days where I didn't look so good and was ready to run and hide. All in all I am extremely lucky to have worked for two excellent companies. Hell in this economy I am lucky to even be working at all. I love this site. All though the number of post may not show it I have been a member for quite some years. I also notice the number of owners (posting) on this site has gone up. I think that is a good thing it gives you perspectives from both sides. Maybe they are tired of getting bashed or put in a circle with all the bad ones.

Flange For President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

i think he is a president?

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    I prove myself everyday. I also try to learn something everyday. As an employee there is nobody harder on myself then me. I also strive to improve those around me. Teaching what I know and learning what you have to offer. I been in this business a few years. I have had some days where I shined and was ready to run in an ask for a raise. Of course I had those days where I didn't look so good and was ready to run and hide. All in all I am extremely lucky to have worked for two excellent companies. Hell in this economy I am lucky to even be working at all. I love this site. All though the number of post may not show it I have been a member for quite some years. I also notice the number of owners (posting) on this site has gone up. I think that is a good thing it gives you perspectives from both sides. Maybe they are tired of getting bashed or put in a circle with all the bad ones.

Flange For President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flange is a former employee for eighteen years prior to going into business. He has seen both sides of the fence, and still holds his union card (full disclosure). He has found that treating his employees with respect makes it easy to flourish and make gobs of money. They dont do so bad either.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345