Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Crazy Banging Noise that Service Guy Cant Fix After 3 Visits

I have a problem that has persisted for several years. Each year, a service guy tries another solution. The heater bangs like crazy, and it's not the ductwork. We have cleaned it, replaced the mother board, checked the gas pressure, checked the voltages, cleaned the flame sensor, and replaced the gas valve, to no avail.

Here is a video I posted online. It's pretty dramatic. Any ideas? http://garmentdeli.com/Furnace_Banging_Noise.wmv

Anybody take the shipping bracket off the blower motor? Couldn't tell for sure what you have but some of the bigger VS blower models have them. Beyond that, nothing we've encountered in a Rheem.

Quote Originally Posted by dmfelder View Post
    I have a problem that has persisted for several years. Each year, a service guy tries another solution. The heater bangs like crazy, and it's not the ductwork. We have cleaned it, replaced the mother board, checked the gas pressure, checked the voltages, cleaned the flame sensor, and replaced the gas valve, to no avail.

Here is a video I posted online. It's pretty dramatic. Any ideas? http://garmentdeli.com/Furnace_Banging_Noise.wmv
    Is there a humidifier on the furnace?

That would drive me insane. As loud as it is I am surprised that, that sound would not point towards a focal point for a look...

1.41 minutes before the fan cycles on after a call for heat sounds excessive to me, Loonie what say you?

Could it be something expanding that should not be??

Oh...it's LOUD. It resonates through the house. It doesn't bang all the time, either, which makes has made it difficult to diagnose (and the tech can't wait around all day). And, as luck would have it, it tends to bang all night.

There IS a humidifier on the system. A friend thought it could be related to the heat-exchanger, but offered no further advice.

The furnace is a Rheem RGRA-12ERAJS
    Rheem Classic 90 Plus Premium Efficiency
    Board part number: 62241140-02 (model 1028928)

It has a "General Air Bypass Humidifier"
    RCBA-4882GG24

Regarding a shipping bracket, let me mention that the unit is 8 years old. It worked perfectly until about 3 years ago (when the banging started). Nothing had even been serviced prior to this issue, and I have always been standing with each technician. So, my intuition suggests it's not related to something that may or may not have been removed.

I will say one other thing. Sometimes, when I'm just standing near it while it's functioning, watching the flames through the little window, it "puffs out & extinguishes." Literally, the upper panel pushes out a little bit and you hear a slight "swoosh" sound.

We've literally gone through what appears to be standard protocol with the diagnosis. We've replaced everything obvious, and checked voltages, gas pressure, etc.

Might something like this be caused by "gaps of air in the gas line, or lack of gas all together?"

It's kind of funny at this point. It's like a baby waking us up in the middle of the night.

...but it's not really that funny!

I'm a little worried about your heat exchanger as well....

Do these guys have a camera they could snake in for a pic? A bunch of companies now do.

I'm the one who made the video, so perhaps I could do something with enough instruction.

I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm not really afraid to tinker (or problem solve). I just don't really understand the function of the heat exchanger well enough to know how it could possibly result in banging.

"If" I were you, I would share this video with your service companies service manager and see what he has to say about it and as to why his guys missed it.... after that I would seek out another service company for their 2 cents. JMO

definitely not a good sound. Not overly familiar with rheems 90% furnace in terms of the heat exchanger design. but I did have a rheem mid-efficiency furnace last year where the weld holding the tube to the header box was broken allowing for the HX tube to be moved out of place. Might have a broken HX tube in yours........

Quote Originally Posted by dmfelder View Post
    I'm the one who made the video, so perhaps I could do something with enough instruction.

I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm not really afraid to tinker (or problem solve). I just don't really understand the function of the heat exchanger well enough to know how it could possibly result in banging.
    Look in the dealer locator and also post your location and possibly there will be some one on here that can help.

Heck if you are any where near my I will look at it just out of curiosity.

Is there any type of pattern, like it will always do in the afternoon or morning. or is it quiet random?

I'm in Chicago if anyone wants a look-see. If anyone knows the local "Rheem Master" in Chi-town, please let me know.

It's quite random, but I seem to notice it more in the middle of the night. And when it DOES bang, sometimes it's only once or twice. I had a camera on a timer for quite some time because no one would believe me when I described how bad it was.

Here's another thing, although I'm not sure it offers any clue:

I'm in a two level home. The heater is below me (sub-grade) and about 20 feet south of my bedroom. There is a gas line that extends under my bedroom and through the back wall of my home (presumably for a natural gas grill). My bed is against the exterior wall. From my bedroom, it sounds like someone is hammering outside, just on the other side of my bed. In addition, I can hear it somewhat prominently in the kitchen (gas stove). So, it's clear that the pipe is acting as a conduit of the noise throughout the house.

This may be obvious to you "HVAC guys" but the fact that the noise is traveling through the house along the pipe might give you some more insight to its origin.

How ever this gets figured out, you're gonna have to let us know now what it was

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast